Hang Dao

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Abhi J
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Hang Dao

Post by Abhi J » Mon May 30, 2016 7:35 pm

Hi everyone,

A friend recently got me this 'Hang Dao', made by an Ahoom family in Tinsukia, Assam. Although I'm very interested in Daos/Dhas and other edged weapons and tools from northeast India, I am unfamiliar with this particular type. Could anybody shed more light on this dao?

All that my friend could gather is that the Hang Dao is not a readily available thing (which is true of many Daos coming from the region).

[I'm a newbie on this forum. A small intro - I'm a 25 year old who's been opportunistically collecting edged weapons & tools. Been collecting modern survival/utility knives, but I've recently gotten more interested in ethnic Indian ones.]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Abhi J on Tue May 31, 2016 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
kalashnikovcult
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Hang Dao

Post by kalashnikovcult » Tue May 31, 2016 10:50 am

its beautiful ..however this one doesnt seem to be of everyday use ..it could be ceremonial ..the blade seems to be wellmade ..can you click closeups of the blade
cu kar az hama hilate dar guzasht
halal ast burdan ba shamshir dast.

When all other means have failed,it is righteous to draw the sword

-- Guru Gobind Singhji Maharaj

Abhi J
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Abhi J » Tue May 31, 2016 11:54 am

Here are a few more photos. I'm travelling at the moment; once I get home, I'll post proper measurements.

The friend who picked this up told me it's used as a plantation/forest implement. I agree it looks too decorated to be something of everyday use, but I have seen the Nyishi of Arunachal Pradesh putting their beautifully made 'Chiighi' daos to everyday forest use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Tue May 31, 2016 12:07 pm

Hi Abhi J,

Welcome to IFG. Nice looking blade that dao. Do share images of your other sharpies too.

Cheers.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.