Let's See Your Moras

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Lanceman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Let's See Your Moras

Post by Lanceman » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:18 pm

Kshitij excited me with his post on his knives. Whereas I now have a decent collection of moderately high end knives, my first love was a Mora No 1. Non-descript wooden handle painted red, absolute plastic sheath, and a gorgeously utilitarian tri-laminate blade. I was given it by a Swedish engineer with whom I was doing military equipment trials about 35 years ago, it was already a well used blade, and in subsequent years I have used it well, nay, abused it very well. Cut, pry, screw and dig. Except for a tiny chip in the tip, it has stoically withstood it all in great dignity. Now I just cherish it, it lies, well greased but retired. Here are some pics of this magnificent blade.
Do you have a Mora? If so put up some pics here, would be great to see them
I have three more Mora knives, but none as cherished as this. will put up pics when I get them out of the drawer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is better to die on one's feet than live on one's knees.

For Advertising mail webmaster
kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Let's See Your Mora

Post by kshitij » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:58 pm

Sweeet! Is it just me or do knives that have seen actual use look prettier than the safe queens :mrgreen:
I got a mora on order, will share pics once it arrives.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Let's See Your Mora

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:39 am

This should be a fun topic. I was meaning to start one with the very same title. :mrgreen:

Will post pics of the Moras currently in my possession after the Sun comes up.

Ek dum Paisa vasool chaku! :wink:

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Let's See Your Moras

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:20 am

Wish these Chennai chaps would keep their filthy weather to themselves.

It's still overcast, so I will start with a few pics I found on the computer.

1) Mora Companion (Orange) Stainless Steel.
The orange is a real blaze orange and easily visible from very long distances. Just an inch or so of the sheath sticking out from under my friend's shirt was visible to me a good few hundred yards away.

Some of the above with two Morakniv Craftline Q 511s (Red handles. Carbon Steel) and one Morakniv Craftline Q 546 (Blue handle. Stainless Steel)

Added in 2 hours 39 minutes 12 seconds:
2) Mora 511 (Carbon Steel):

3) Mora 546 (Stainless Steel):

4) Mora Companion (Carbon Steel):

5) Mora Companion Heavy Duty (Carbon Steel):

6) Mora Classic 3 (Carbon Steel):
Kshitij, please note that there is no micro bevel in this unused and unsharpened example.

7) Mora Classic 2 (Carbon Steel):

8 ) Mora 510 Re-issue (Carbon Steel):
This model was originally sold with a red handle but was discontinued some years ago. However, due to popular demand, it was reintroduced but with a black handle.
This is my favourite Mora design to date.

9) Some comparism pics:

Besides the above, I have also briefly handled a Mora Pro C I bought for a friend's son

Pic courtesy of Knife Center

and a Mora Fishing Scaler knife belonging to a friend.

Pic courtesy of Knife Center

I would recommend a Mora Pro C as a first knife for a youngster. Under adult supervision yada yada.....

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:23 am

@mack, that is a lot of Moras! Lack of secondary bevel noted.
Between the Companion and the Companion Heavy Duty, which would you recommend if I were to get one.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

Lanceman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Lanceman » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:45 pm

Mack, you have just pissed on my parade, have exactly the same Mora's as you do and you pipped me to the post in putting up the pics. fellow Bawaji?
Secondary bevel notwithstanding, one has to remove too much metal to sharpen a true Scandi hence I sneak in a micro bevel at the end of the process, on a strop.
Kshitij look at the Mora Bushcraft also. Said to be thicker.
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:44 pm

Lanceman wrote: Kshitij look at the Mora Bushcraft also. Said to be thicker.
The mora I have ordered is actually that very model. I didnt mention that earlier cause most old school Mora guys rather look down on the newer tacticool Moras :P

I know that sharpener and ferro rod may not be of much use but couldn't stop myself from getting it any way.
images-31.jpeg
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:07 pm

kshitij wrote:Between the Companion and the Companion Heavy Duty, which would you recommend if I were to get one.
Kshitij,

I will point out the differences and let you decide. At this price point, you could easily buy both.

The Companion in Carbon Steel has a 2 mm thick blade, whilst the stainless steel version has a 2.5 mm thick blade.

Compared to the Heavy Duty, the Companion has less swell to the handle and is more comfortable. I wear a large size glove.

The Companion Heavy Duty has a 3 mm thick blade and the tang is a little longer.

Either will tolerate a bit of moderate battoning provided it is done properly. However, the thicker bladed Heavy Duty will split a little easier.

Mora has jumped on the Bushcraft bandwagon but the only differences between their Bushcraft series knives and the Heavy Duty series knives is that the Bushcraft versions have a slightly deeper tang, an allegedly more comfortable handle and a different sheath design. Spine thickness is the same for both.

I for one would not pay the price difference for even the cheapest of the Bushcraft series but would instead look at other knives, such as the Condor Kephart, Condor Bushlore, etc.

Which Mora model do you have en route?

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:09 pm

[quote="Lanceman"]fellow Bawaji?

Guilty as charged, Saah!

Like you, I too use a three sided strop (for black, green and white compound) that also accepts strips of Wet Or Dry for honing, if and when required.

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:11 pm

Mack The Knife wrote:
kshitij wrote:Between the Companion and the Companion Heavy Duty, which would you recommend if I were to get one.
Kshitij,

I will point out the differences and let you decide. At this price point, you could easily buy both.

The Companion in Carbon Steel has a 2 mm thick blade, whilst the stainless steel version has a 2.5 mm thick blade.

Compared to the Heavy Duty, the Companion has less swell to the handle and is more comfortable. I wear a large size glove.

The Companion Heavy Duty has a 3 mm thick blade and the tang is a little longer.

Either will tolerate a bit of moderate battoning provided it is done properly. However, the thicker bladed Heavy Duty will split a little easier.

Mora has jumped on the Bushcraft bandwagon but the only differences between their Bushcraft series knives and the Heavy Duty series knives is that the Bushcraft versions have a slightly deeper tang, an allegedly more comfortable handle and a different sheath design. Spine thickness is the same for both.

I for one would not pay the price difference for even the cheapest of the Bushcraft series but would instead look at other knives, such as the Condor Kephart, Condor Bushlore, etc.

Which Mora model do you have en route?
Thanks for the comparison Mack. See my post just above yours :P
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:15 pm

kshitij wrote:
Lanceman wrote: Kshitij look at the Mora Bushcraft also. Said to be thicker.
The mora I have ordered is actually that very model. I didnt mention that earlier cause most old school Mora guys rather look down on the newer tacticool Moras :P

I know that sharpener and ferro rod may not be of much use but couldn't stop myself from getting it any way.
images-31.jpeg
I for one am not looking down my patrician nose at you or your choice. I merely refuse to pay the price for a few gee-gaws.

Provided you use circular strokes on that piddly little sharpening 'stone', I am sure you could keep your edge in good nick.

The fire starter is a decent idea but once you start wearing it out, you will probably stop carrying it in that holder, as it will be a loose fit and could get lost.

Lanceman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Lanceman » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:38 pm

Mack, what strips do you put on the wooden block? Sandpaper of what grit? And how do you secure it?

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:31 pm

Since the strop block has 2" wide surfaces, I cut and use 2" wide strips of 3M Wet Or Dry. The grit varies from 60 to 2000, depending on what needs to be done.

The paper is clamped to the strop block by a wooden block on either side, which in turn are held tight with wing nuts.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:59 pm

I forgot to mention this but many of the Mora sheaths have a provision for the knife to be worn on a button.

Look at the second pic I posted (back of the orange coloured Mora Companion sheath) and you will notice two interconnected circles. Place the larger circle over the button and pull the sheath down for button carry.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:10 pm

Lanceman wrote:one has to remove too much metal to sharpen a true Scandi
Lanceman,

That just caught my attention and I disagree with that statement.

The Scandinavian edge is one of the easiest and quickest to sharpen due to its built-in sharpening angle. This is why it is very popular with beginners.

Unless the blade is badly damaged, there is absolutely no reason for excessive removal of metal.

A micro convexed scandi edge will not shave wood as efficiently as a zero ground scandi (no micro bevel) but depending on the amount of convex and the skill of the operator, I would say it is 90% to 95% as efficient as a zero ground scandi and has the advantage of being a sturdier edge. People should not misunderstand that to mean that a Mora with a micro convexed edge cannot be made as sharp as a zero ground Scandi edge. Far from it. My micro convexed Moras are far sharper than anything I have got from Mora. However, that micro curvature requires a little finesse and experience to use to get the same results as a zero scandi ground knife and 100% concentration is not always possible.

This is why I prefer a mildly convexed micro edge on my Moras. I also happen to use my strops for maintaining my edges, regardless of the grind and over time this is going to create a slight micro-convexed edge anyway.