Traditional shavers/razors

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
goondasmani
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Traditional shavers/razors

Post by goondasmani » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:29 pm

this one was my grandfather's some info i know is that it is made in England and made by gillette.If you have any traditional shavers/razors please share.
Last edited by goondasmani on Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Traditional shavers/razors

Post by Big Daddy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:22 pm

There is already a thread on old shavers some somewhere .
BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

goondasmani
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by goondasmani » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:10 pm

BD i searched and i coudnt find one

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:31 am

That is a model called "Fat HandledTech"

Here is an earlier post of mine:

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=22809

As mentioned by me, I shave almost exclusively with double edge razors,the exception being they are less forgiving so if I cannot be careful say on a long trip where I might be fatigued I will use a disposable .

Added in 9 minutes 29 seconds:
Also,FYI your razor appears to have been manufactured 1939-1942.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:07 am

how about this?
regards
dr.jk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

goondasmani
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by goondasmani » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:14 am

Mark wrote:That is a model called "Fat HandledTech"

Here is an earlier post of mine:

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=22809

As mentioned by me, I shave almost exclusively with double edge razors,the exception being they are less forgiving so if I cannot be careful say on a long trip where I might be fatigued I will use a disposable .

Added in 9 minutes 29 seconds:
Also,FYI your razor appears to have been manufactured 1939-1942.
thankyou mark.you have given much info on that razor.Nice find there in yard sale.

Added in 8 minutes 25 seconds:
dr.jayakumar wrote:how about this?
regards
dr.jk
a cut throat razor i dnt do a single shave in that.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:56 am

Dr JK,
I don't think I could safely shave with a cut throat razor, especially early in the morning. :(

I still have my Gillette "Black Beauty" adjustable razor and use it quite often

It was the first razor that my father bought me when I started shaving.
It was probably made in 1979 or 1980.

Rotating the bottom of the handle, opens the two halves of the top. Once you insert the blade, you rotate the bottom in the opposite direction and the doors close over the blade. The adjustment changes the angle of the blade so you can adjust the closeness of the shave.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:17 am

friends,this is just a collection,not for shaving
regards
drjk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:23 am

dr.jayakumar wrote:friends,this is just a collection,not for shaving
regards
drjk
Yes, it is too delicate. For shaving we only use full tang blades. :mrgreen:
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:30 am

xl_target,

My first personal razor was also gifted to me by my father and as it so happens, it too was a Gillette Super Adjustable (Black Beauty). Got it in '81 in Singapore and I must have used it at least until the mid-90's.

I have not been able to find it after I moved to Bangalore at the end of '96. Must ask my mother again if she recalls packing it when they moved to B'lore in '98. Will also ask my father if I can have his DE razor, assuming he still has it. That, incidentally, was my first razor at age 7 or 8. Used to imitate my old man when the folks would go to the market for the weekly shopping and I had the run of the house for a couple of hours. :mrgreen:

After reading this thread and the other by Mark, I promptly bought myself a blister pack consisting of a Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum plastic razor and a pack of 5 blades for Rs.70.00 :mrgreen: No cuts or nicks but I have definitely lost the touch. I wouldn't say it shaves closer than a Gillette Mach 3, despite me not changing blades for a month or thereabouts.

P.S.: Disassembling a Super Adjustable -

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:33 pm

Hey Mack,
It gets increasingly difficult to find blades locally.
I used to be able to get Wilkinson Sword but haven't seen any in ages. All we find now is no-name junk of dubious origin.
You can still buy stuff online (which I generally try to avoid).

Thanks for that video. I've never taken my razor apart.
Might be time to do so now.

Good to hear that you have one that is similar to mine. You'd better hang on to it as they are going for about $100 on the net! There were two kinds of the black handled adjustable; one was short handled and one was long handled. I have the long handled version. If I am correct, the handles are black anodized Aluminium and they had Stainless Steel heads. The photo that I posted was stolen from the Internet (yeah, I'm lazy). The bottom of the blade holder on mine is black instead of Stainless steel. I will have to get a photo of it when I get a chance. While purchased in Nigeria in 1980 or so, it looks like mine is a Y4 and was made in the 4th quarter of 1978 (date codes here).

This one is exactly like mine. Has the same date code.

BTW, this is quite a neat site: The Razor Archive and this one The Razor Emporium
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

James_Bond
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by James_Bond » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:26 pm

goondasmani wrote:this one was my grandfather's some info i know is that it is made in England and made by gillette.If you have any traditional shavers/razors please share.
I had one of that type but I am lost it, some body stolen it.
With Regards
CODE NAME BOND, JAMES BOND LICENSE TO RKBA

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:40 am

xl_target wrote:Thanks for that video. I've never taken my razor apart.
Might be time to do so now.

Good to hear that you have one that is similar to mine. You'd better hang on to it as they are going for about $100 on the net!
Saw a video by that Razor Emporium fellow cautioning against taking this model apart. Don't do it if yours is working properly.

Like I said, I cannot find mine. However, I have asked my father if he still has his. From the look on his face I could tell he had forgotten all about it but then his eyes lit up. Hopefully, I will have three - his, mine and my grandfather's.

Yeah, I saw those prices on the Razor Emporium. For that kind of money, I'd rather have a quality straight razor. Always fancied one anyway.

Thanks for the links.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:44 pm

Well, I hope you find your Black Beauty and your fathers/grandfathers razors. It would be nice to have something like that in your collection.

...about straight razors now.....
See, I've got this thing about using a straight razor. I would have a really hard time using one on myself or letting anyone else use one on me.
Yeah, I know how Clint Eastwood feels in those old movies.
I know why he always has his pistol out, under the sheet, pointed at the barber's unmentionables.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:19 am

xl_target wrote: Yeah, I know how Clint Eastwood feels in those old movies.
I know why he always has his pistol out, under the sheet, pointed at the barber's unmentionables.
ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL
Briha