Knife Reviews

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Knife Reviews

Post by brihacharan » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:06 pm

kshitij wrote:
xl_target wrote: You went on a camping trip and didn't post about it? :shock:
:mrgreen:
Long story... on the way to the camp i had a minor hick up and was delayed in reaching the place. Once there, the excitement of being there and in the hurry of making best of the fading sun light, i completely forgot to take any images until quite later in the evening. I intend to go camping more frequently now. Next time will have a more detailed post to share :D

Should be picking up a tent this weekend. Have the quechua arpenaz 3 xl and the quechua 2 seconds iii tent as the two options to choose from. Have narrowed down on these cause they are the only ones i am getting to physically try (at the local decathlon store) before buying.
Both are 3 person tents because i prefer the extra space.
Hi Kshitij,
Glad to know you had an 'exciting' camp-out, even after undergoing The 'Minor Hick-Up' :D
Your idea of frequenting the camping activity sounds very interesting!
Maybe when the weather cools down a bit "CMG" could think of making it an 'Annual Activity'!!!!!
What say you?
Briha

For Advertising mail webmaster
kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:29 pm

@Brihaji,
Good idea. We could explore having a meet at one of their location in Dec or Jan. I will be out from 23rd to 31st Dec, so any time before or after that is good for me. Since you are in touch with maximum of us and also you happen to be the youngest and most active member, i would suggest you pull the strings and make this happen :D i would be happy to help anyway i can.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:43 pm

kshitij wrote:@Brihaji,
Good idea. We could explore having a meet at one of their location in Dec or Jan. I will be out from 23rd to 31st Dec, so any time before or after that is good for me. Since you are in touch with maximum of us and also you happen to be the youngest and most active member, i would suggest you pull the strings and make this happen :D i would be happy to help anyway i can.
Yes!
Will set the 'Ball" (singular) rolling ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL
Stay Tuned :D
Briha

Lanceman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Lanceman » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:43 pm

Kshitij,
how lovingly written, and beautifully described. Having been through the "big" knife phase I am now hooked on small fixed blades. One of my oldest is a very cheap Mora No 1, plastic sheath, some cheap wood handle painted red with one of the most awesome tri-laminate blades I have ever owned. I was given it by a Swedish engineer in 1980 I think, it was a used and battered piece in his tool box.
In my ignorant early days I have used it as a knife, a digging tool, pry bar, spoon, screwdriver and anything else that required steel. I have sharpened it on the pavement, sandpaper and river smooth stones. Apart from a tiny chip in the tip, it shows no damage at all. In later years I have acquired more expensive blades, but none as lovely as this, my first love. Will post pics of her this evening.
It is better to die on one's feet than live on one's knees.

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:03 pm

Kshitij, my brother what a lovely thread and what rich posts. :) Enjoyed it thoroughly. Visited IFG after a long time.

Best and keep posting

Cheers
TC

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:09 pm

TC! What a pleasant surprise. Welcome back :D

Added in 40 minutes 49 seconds:
Lanceman wrote:Kshitij,
how lovingly written, and beautifully described. Having been through the "big" knife phase I am now hooked on small fixed blades. One of my oldest is a very cheap Mora No 1, plastic sheath, some cheap wood handle painted red with one of the most awesome tri-laminate blades I have ever owned. I was given it by a Swedish engineer in 1980 I think, it was a used and battered piece in his tool box.
In my ignorant early days I have used it as a knife, a digging tool, pry bar, spoon, screwdriver and anything else that required steel. I have sharpened it on the pavement, sandpaper and river smooth stones. Apart from a tiny chip in the tip, it shows no damage at all. In later years I have acquired more expensive blades, but none as lovely as this, my first love. Will post pics of her this evening.
@Lanceman,
Big fan of your blogs sir. Would love to hear some 'knife' stories from you. Please do share your experiences with the various knives you may have used out on the field or on your hiking trips, whenever you find the time.
Looking forward to the pictures of your first love, the Mora No. 1 :)
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

Lanceman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Lanceman » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:28 pm

Have started a post today with pics of my Mora, "let's see your Mora". Have a look and add to it if you want.
It is better to die on one's feet than live on one's knees.

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:51 am

With Sunday comes the time to do what the heart most enjoys. And with the love for sharp metal tools comes the obsession of keeping them at their sharpest :mrgreen:
20151129_110814.jpg
20151129_110428.jpg
Added in 23 minutes 7 seconds:
Sharpened few of the knives today. Wanted to see if i got them upto the mark. So feathered some magazine covers. I guess being able to shave the top of a single page is sharp enough :D
The trick is to let the last few swipes on the finer side of the sharpening stone be with as little pressure as possible. It really really gets the egde going. A little stropping after that and you get this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

zombie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by zombie » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:23 pm

That is scary sharp Kshitij. Good job!

Added in 1 minute 43 seconds:
Big Red Tent seems to have good locations. Need to find a similar camping ground new Ahmedabad.
Guns are not evil. Humans are

Savaj Outdoors channel: www.youtube.com/savajoutdoors

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:36 am

kshitij wrote:With Sunday comes the time to do what the heart most enjoys. And with the love for sharp metal tools comes the obsession of keeping them at their sharpest :mrgreen:
20151129_110814.jpg
20151129_110428.jpg
Added in 23 minutes 7 seconds:
Sharpened few of the knives today. Wanted to see if i got them upto the mark. So feathered some magazine covers. I guess being able to shave the top of a single page is sharp enough :D
The trick is to let the last few swipes on the finer side of the sharpening stone be with as little pressure as possible. It really really gets the egde going. A little stropping after that and you get this.
Great work Kshitij!!!!!
Stropping the KEY to a KEEN Edge!!!!!!!
Briha

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:21 pm

Kshitij, next time we meet in a location where such things do not get us on the breaking news, I need to learn the stone sharpening from you. That's an awesome shave, bro!!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:26 pm

Sure thing SD, would be my pleasure :D :cheers:
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:41 pm

essdee1972 wrote:Kshitij, next time we meet in a location where such things do not get us on the breaking news, I need to learn the stone sharpening from you. That's an awesome shave, bro!!
I cam imagine the CMG guys with 'Belts' nailed to tree trunks (out on location) stropping away under the keen eyes of Master Kshitij.... :D
Up ....Down...Up...Down ROTFL
Briha

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:02 pm

Brihaji,
Kids are often referred to as "master"(in place of mr) while being addressed .
So i guess in that sense, you could call me master :lol:

Added in 27 minutes 4 seconds:
zombie wrote:That is scary sharp Kshitij. Good job!

Added in 1 minute 43 seconds:
Big Red Tent seems to have good locations. Need to find a similar camping ground new Ahmedabad.
There are a few guys who are providing campsites throughout Maharashtra. Dont know of any one near Ahemdabad, but the Rann is a good place to camp out around this time of the year i guess.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

zombie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by zombie » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:51 pm

I would like to sign up for sharpening classes too.

Rann would be a good place, little crowded right now though. Travel time is a concern too. I am trying to find some campsites near Raj Pipla.
Guns are not evil. Humans are

Savaj Outdoors channel: www.youtube.com/savajoutdoors