Books by D. A. Kinsley on Indian Swordsmanship

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Nihangsingh
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Books by D. A. Kinsley on Indian Swordsmanship

Post by Nihangsingh » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:46 pm

Hi guys,
There are some books by D. A. Kinsley on Indian Swordsmanship. Though the author covered battle accounts of the British cavalry and foot army with those of the natives of the areas under British occupation; it is the Indian swordsmanship that could be of specific interest to us all. However, I couldn't find any sellers online or those who could ship to India. If you could give any leads kindly share.
Regards to all.
"Teero, Tufango, Bado Raam Jango, Dhamakhdhaar Aniaar, Kamand Korrha, Panj Shaster Parvaan"

For Advertising mail webmaster
pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Books by D. A. Kinsley on Indian Swordsmanship

Post by pistolero » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:31 am

Dear Nihansingh,

The book I believe you are looking for is "Sword Fighters of British India" this book can be bought second hand online. Try www.abebooks.com

The new version of the book and almost the same price as the one above consists of the book above and some more. Is called Sword Fighters of the British Empire.

Very Interesting reading, many questions are answered on the Swords and the How and Why's of the hilts and their design!

Regards,
Pistolero
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

Nihangsingh
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Nihangsingh » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:36 pm

Thanks Pistolero,
I couldn`t wait and thus with the help of a friend from Canada got ' Swordsmen of British empire'.
I am presently reading the book. It contains british accounts of Anglo-Sikh wars and 1857 rebellion plus some other, but it gives fairly good examples of Indian swordsmanship especially with India Tulwar and how the British use to counter it with their system of Fencing. It is worth owning and reading as it shed a great deal of light about the "Edged things' that we discuss in this Forum.
Have you read these books?
"Teero, Tufango, Bado Raam Jango, Dhamakhdhaar Aniaar, Kamand Korrha, Panj Shaster Parvaan"

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:58 am

Hi Nihangsingh,

Yes I have read the book and keep going back to re-read it for clarifications.

I think this book provides in depth reasoning for the Tight fitting Indian Hilts and the Drawing Cut.

Regards,
Pistolero

Nihangsingh
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Nihangsingh » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:07 pm

Hi Pistolero,

Yes this book does provide a good comparison of India Tulwar and British sabers in terms of blade quality, handle shape and benefits and the exceptional sharpness that the Indian Talwar held.

However, the British managed to keep Indians at bay mostly by using the 'Point' which makes sense as the draw cut and the Talwar handle makes the wielder vulnerable to the opponent without a shield and 'Pentra'.

I saw a video of Matt Easton at you tube where he mentioned a sequel to the book by the name ' More swordsmen of British Empire'. however, I couldn`t find it for sale online.
best regards,
Nihangsingh

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:32 pm

Hi Nihansingh,

I believe the book is called Sword Fighters of Britannia, I think this is the final book in the series.

Regards,
Aditya

Nihangsingh
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Nihangsingh » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:36 pm

Hi Pistolero,
I have heard Matt Easton mention the name of the book as I mentioned above. However, I must have heard wrong.
Do you have this book?
Do you practice swordsmanship?