How can I import sword from abroad

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Nihangsingh
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

How can I import sword from abroad

Post by Nihangsingh » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:18 pm

I wish to have cold steel 1796 light cavalry saber or cold steel Shamshir.
Any help??
"Teero, Tufango, Bado Raam Jango, Dhamakhdhaar Aniaar, Kamand Korrha, Panj Shaster Parvaan"

For Advertising mail webmaster
lion.heart8
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: How can I import sword from abroad

Post by lion.heart8 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:45 pm

Hello I am also searching for a good quality Katana. Pls help me where and how can I buy buy one. Thanks

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:15 pm

Nihangsingh wrote:I wish to have cold steel 1796 light cavalry saber or cold steel Shamshir.
Any help??
You may read the following threads -
http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=16506
http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17955

Last time I checked, import policy for swords was free. That means you do not need import license. You may recheck import policy for Exim Code 9307 at http://dgft.gov.in/ If you are a Sikh, then you do not need license to possess swords under Arms Act 1959 because of Article 25 of the Constitution of Indian State.

Your signature "Teero, Tufango, Bado Raam Jango, Dhamakhdhaar Aniaar, Kamand Korrha, Panj Shaster Parvaan" is interesting from the point of view of RKBA. I am able make out the meaning of some words like teero means arrow, tufango is probably the gun, in Bado Raam Jango, bado raam means big gun, jango means war(three together mean big gun of war, probably referring to high caliber, long range musket or rifle of the time), dhamakadar anar is explosive pomegranate(bomb or grenade), kamand is bow, Panj Shaster Parvaan is these five weapons are acceptable.

What is the context in which it is written? What is the name, paragraph, page number of the historical book from which it has been taken? Need these details as citation for legal purpose.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

Nihangsingh
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Nihangsingh » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:29 pm

Dear goodboy_mentor

Thanks for your reply, I shall go through the threads and see if that can solve my purpose.
regarding your query about my signature, it is an extract from the ' rehatnama' (A sikh way of life) by Bhai Nand lal ji, who was a very near and dear sikh of Shri Guru Gobind Singh ji . The whole verse goes like this:

teero tufango bado raam jango
dhamakhdhaar aniaar kamand korarho panj sastar parvaan
suno nand laal yeh saaj
pragat karoo apnaa raaj
chaar varan ik varan karaaoo
vahiguru singh ko naam japaaoo
chare singh tis mukt karaaoo
jhoolan neje hastee saaje
duaar duaar par naubat baaje
sava laakh jab dhukhai paleeta
tabai khalsa ude ast lau jeeta.

regarding the meaning of these weapons,
Bado Ram Jango means a Pistol
dhamakhdhaar aniaar means a special kind of arrow
kamand korarho means a weapon in which a shaft about 2 feet long connected with chain(s) having some weight at the end used to trap the opponent`s weapon.
you have got the rest of the details right.
I shall be able to give you further details after a while.
Regards.
"Teero, Tufango, Bado Raam Jango, Dhamakhdhaar Aniaar, Kamand Korrha, Panj Shaster Parvaan"

martinjennifer
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by martinjennifer » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:49 pm

Hello Nihangsingh,

Though I am new to this forum and I don't have much knowledge about knives, guns and swords. But when I was in UK, I visited a Company which manufacturers swords and other sword accessories. I don't remember the exact company name.

Nihangsingh
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Nihangsingh » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:14 pm

Dear martinjennifer ,
The whole problem is that our Indian customs does not allow swords and the like to India. I wanted to have either of the above swords, but I donot think it would be possible as long as I stay in India.
Thanks for your input,
regards

shifuhpanda
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by shifuhpanda » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:11 pm

Brother Nihangsingh, its amazing and sorry for you that even a sword apart from gun is not allowed to be imported in India. So Mean....

Sent from my C2305 using Tapatalk
Last edited by shifuhpanda on Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Nihangsingh
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Nihangsingh » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:47 pm

shifuhpanda wrote:Brother Nihangsingh, its amazing and sorry for you that even a sword apart from gun is allowed to be imported in India. So Mean....

Sent from my C2305 using Tapatalk
Yep, unfortunately it seems to be the case. let us hope that I get it by some way.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:41 pm

Nihangsingh wrote:Yep, unfortunately it seems to be the case. let us hope that I get it by some way.
It appears you have not been able to understand the present legal position related to import of edged arms. Let me make it simple below:

1. Import policy is free for edged arms. Means you do not need "import license" from Directorate General of Foreign Trade(DGFT) sitting in New Delhi.

2. The above import policy(free) is subject to requirement of arms license due to Notification(if any) issued under Section 4 of Arms Act 1959 by State Government. If no notification under Section 4, one can forget this. If one is following the Sikh faith, he can forget about arms license for swords regardless of Notification under Section 4, since the Constitution of the Indian State has acknowledged them to be unique and sui generis sovereign people and implicitly acknowledging RKBA.

Therefore you do not need "some way" to import when you can import it legally.

Just curious, unless you are some sort of collector, why are you interested in the hassle and cost of importing something as simple as a sword? Are no good swords available in Punjab? Or can't good swords be made to order in Punjab? I am sure good quality steel and workmanship is indeed available locally. Recently was touring or traveling around, was at Fatehgarh Sahib in Punjab, saw two Nihangs practicing mock sword fight with swords at a road side. Did not have the time to stop and ask the details. Their swords appeared to be made pretty well with good quality material and finish.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

alameinite
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by alameinite » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:46 pm

Dear Mr Singh,
I fully agree with Mentor at this. Why do you want to import a sword from abroad when our own Indian katar n kripan makers in Punjab and rest of India make stronger n sturdier swords, n that too on order, as per your specifications? Like I am in North east nowadays and I've got some beautiful but dangerous Dao (machetes as our dear firangi friends call it) from here, which are 200 times stronger n deadlier than any cold steel or columbian daos. So, just for your consideration, try them out, and as such, you being a Sikh, are not bound by the law about any length of kripan or shamsheer.
Regards
"The hills are barren, cold and steep, But I have promises to keep,
A lot to sweat , Before I sleep,...And Miles to run before I sleep.."
:cheers:

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:38 am

Any Idea if there are sword makers in Delhi. Though I am sure there would be people making them but are they available openly (On order).

Atul

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:48 pm

aadhaulya wrote:Any Idea if there are sword makers in Delhi. Though I am sure there would be people making them but are they available openly (On order)
Did a search of internet with "sword maker delhi" it gave many results. Did the same on this website, it led to the following thread https://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopi ... 7&p=168872

The website of the maker is http://syndicatearmoury.com/

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:00 pm

Thanks GBM,

I suppose they would be expensive being in exports. But this means there must be people around who would be fabricating these swords in small shops also.
How I would love to be a master of internett and realise the potential.

Atul

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:21 pm

Well do not know if they will be expensive, you may have to contact them and find out. Also the cost depends on the quality of material and workmanship you desire. I doubt if there will be people who will be openly advertising or openly fabricating swords in small shops in States other than Punjab, Rajasthan and may be one or two more states.

About twenty years ago, had come to Punjab for some work, purchased one sword for Rs 100 from a road side shop. It is not some great piece of art but very good enough to "serve the purpose" it is made for. Similarly purchased another one for Rs. 200 at a fair about a decade ago. This is just to give you an idea of the price. Maybe now a similar cheap sword would cost Rs 400 to 500 at the most.

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:35 pm

A few months ago a friend of mine visited Japan and he brought in two Katana Swords in unsharpened state in checked in baggage without any problem from customs.