How can I import sword from abroad

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Re: How can I import sword from abroad

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:53 am

goodboy_mentor wrote:Well do not know if they will be expensive, you may have to contact them and find out. Also the cost depends on the quality of material and workmanship you desire. I doubt if there will be people who will be openly advertising or openly fabricating swords in small shops in States other than Punjab, Rajasthan and may be one or two more states.

About twenty years ago, had come to Punjab for some work, purchased one sword for Rs 100 from a road side shop. It is not some great piece of art but very good enough to "serve the purpose" it is made for. Similarly purchased another one for Rs. 200 at a fair about a decade ago. This is just to give you an idea of the price. Maybe now a similar cheap sword would cost Rs 400 to 500 at the most.
GBM,

I had also got one straight edge sword fabricated in Jaipur. it was quite cheap but it was not available openly. I had to get it through a local middleman.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Nihangsingh
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Nihangsingh » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:12 pm

goodboy_mentor wrote:
Nihangsingh wrote:Yep, unfortunately it seems to be the case. let us hope that I get it by some way.
It appears you have not been able to understand the present legal position related to import of edged arms. Let me make it simple below:

1. Import policy is free for edged arms. Means you do not need "import license" from Directorate General of Foreign Trade(DGFT) sitting in New Delhi.

2. The above import policy(free) is subject to requirement of arms license due to Notification(if any) issued under Section 4 of Arms Act 1959 by State Government. If no notification under Section 4, one can forget this. If one is following the Sikh faith, he can forget about arms license for swords regardless of Notification under Section 4, since the Constitution of the Indian State has acknowledged them to be unique and sui generis sovereign people and implicitly acknowledging RKBA.

Therefore you do not need "some way" to import when you can import it legally.

Just curious, unless you are some sort of collector, why are you interested in the hassle and cost of importing something as simple as a sword? Are no good swords available in Punjab? Or can't good swords be made to order in Punjab? I am sure good quality steel and workmanship is indeed available locally. Recently was touring or traveling around, was at Fatehgarh Sahib in Punjab, saw two Nihangs practicing mock sword fight with swords at a road side. Did not have the time to stop and ask the details. Their swords appeared to be made pretty well with good quality material and finish.

Thanks for showing the way and briefing me about the legal angle. I think now I have to import it legally :wink:

as far as my knowledge of good sword smiths in Punjab, I could not call it a success. Not that they make such a bad blade, infact they all would 'fulfil their purpose' if needed; however, only spring steel is being used in Punjab. I wanted a stronger steel type for my sword blade.
You can say that it is just a fancy that I want a blade as close to if not exactly, like the famous 'wootz' blade. We have one swordmaker in Amritsar who claims to make his swords of such hard iron that it will cut through any other metal. However, I have not met him personally to witness such an act. Further, his swords are very expensive. That is why I wanted to opt for Import.
Had there been good swordmakers in Punjab, Good sword lovers would`nt have to look for old swords of British era, which presently is the case in Punjab.

regards
"Teero, Tufango, Bado Raam Jango, Dhamakhdhaar Aniaar, Kamand Korrha, Panj Shaster Parvaan"

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:29 pm

Is it the same spring steel used to make the leaf springs of automobiles? Such a spring steel does not break easily, it can withstand lot of shock and stress. On the other end, as compared with spring steel, the steel that is very hard may break easily especially when hit against a hard surface.

About cutting another metal with a sword, it all depends how thick the metal is and which metal is used. A thin aluminum foil or copper wire can be cut using any knife or sword. On the other hand, no sword will be able to cut through a thick iron plate. Therefore such a "test" does not prove anything.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

Nihangsingh
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Nihangsingh » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:00 pm

Yes, as far as I have been told, it is the same spring steel, called 'Kamani'.
there is another angle to it, if you have handled some old indian swords, you must have noticed that though some of them are quite heavy, they are perfectly balanced near their hilt. An Indian sword is used in combination with a Dhaal (shield), which was used to block the attacks of opponent`s sword. The sword had to take lot of abuse directly on its edge when it hit the dhaal, sometimes made of metal. Old swords do posses these ability of good edge retention to a greater extent than the modern day spring steel sword. In earlier days also there were swords of 'Faulad' which I presume was the hardest of the material used as it is said that it could cut through body/ shield or sword alike. There were other materials ( I have only learnt these from swords makers) like 'sakela' and 'aamerage' which were used to make swords which unlike a faulad sword would not break in battle and would at the most bend during a hit on hard substance.

I am trying to take a tour of Amritsar and see for myself what the swordmaker has to show.
"Teero, Tufango, Bado Raam Jango, Dhamakhdhaar Aniaar, Kamand Korrha, Panj Shaster Parvaan"

RoyalSingh
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by RoyalSingh » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:24 am

Hello Guys,
just if anyone could clarify on import of sword via check-in luggage?
Would it be right to presume that Delhi customs wouldn't have any Issue on detection of 3 1/2' sword in ones baggage?
Does it requires notification to airlines and/or customs while moving to green cannel??

Regards

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:10 pm

Given the global environment of "terrorism", it is better to officially declare it in advance while boarding the plane, to avoid all kinds of harassment or other problems later on.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

RoyalSingh
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by RoyalSingh » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:48 am

Thanks for your advice goodboy_mentor!

Kind Regards
RS

aiman_sarosh
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by aiman_sarosh » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:43 pm

@GBM,
Sir your answers are all really logical n i luv them.
Being scared of getting an imported sword caught at the customs, i ordered one samurai katana sword to be made locally. I got the manufacturer’s detail from indiamart.com. Manufacturer was Ganga Maa Company.
He charged me ₹12000/- for that katana 1060 high carbon steel. I have to say the finishing was simply HORRIBLE!!!...twisted handle, crooked blood groove line, and the wrapping of the handle was not using those japnese TSUKA ITO..it was those red 3mm satin ribbon. and horribly wrapped. when i opened the box i was crying...i wasted my 12000.
had i ordered online i would have got an awesome piece at that price...but still i am fearing if it will get confiscated at the Kplkata customs. i dont know what to do. still today till date i keep admiring these swords online bit dont have the courage to place order.

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:43 am

HI aiman_sarosh. really u had a bad exp. Where r based Bro. if in case you are based any where in east India then can try your luck with Nepal and Bhutan Market. I saw Katana and Tachi Models ( Of course Not Original Japanese manufactured) on sale in few shops in Nepal and Different Heavy swords in Bhutan ( They rarely sale it in open there but if you have contacts then they will take you to the craftsmen who are doing this for Generations). Not at all Difficult to bring it To India from these areas.
Regards

Shivaji

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:58 pm

aiman_sarosh wrote:@GBM,
Sir your answers are all really logical n i luv them.
Thank You.

I agree with what Shivaji Dasgupta is saying. But going by news reports, of violent lynch mobs targeting persons, especially of particular caste or religion, after purchase, it would be probably safer to ship it by Speed Post or some courier.

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:34 pm

Aiman Sarosh,

Send me a PM.

-P
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."