DIY Knifemaking: mini bushcraft

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
astronomy.domaine
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

DIY Knifemaking: mini bushcraft

Post by astronomy.domaine » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:46 pm

Hi all,
This project is based on the Boker plus mini, which, in spite its miniscule blade is extremely effective and versatile as an EDC knife. i have tried to replicate the same qualities in terms of design and ergonomics. The blade is a 3 inch D2 steel piece from a file with a rattail tang, housed within a 2inch handle made from simple mosaic micarta and wood .
Pls have a look. :-)

"...there is no spoon..."!

For Advertising mail webmaster
aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Re: DIY Knifemaking: mini bushcraft

Post by aadhaulya » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:20 am

AD,

You should go into the business of making knives.
This as a very innovative design. But then you always come up with unique designs.
Do you make your own micatra?? And what epoxy is available in India for making it??

Atul

ibalajis
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: RE: Re: DIY Knifemaking: mini bushcraft

Post by ibalajis » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:10 am

aadhaulya wrote:AD,

You should go into the business of making knives.
This as a very innovative design. But then you always come up with unique designs.
Do you make your own micatra?? And what epoxy is available in India for making it??

Atul
+1

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:37 am

Hello AD,
What a cute & impressive knife you've made!
Frankly you are creating "Benchmarks" in DIY knife making!!!!!
I would say...its a combination of imagination + innovation (add...sweat & elbow grease) + patience that produce such works of art!
Cheers
Briha

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:12 am

AD, I will be in Bangalore in the last week of the year. I would love to meet you personally and shake your hand. Maybe there will be a bit of "induction"!!!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:14 pm

essdee1972 wrote:AD, I will be in Bangalore in the last week of the year. I would love to meet you personally and shake your hand. Maybe there will be a bit of "induction"!!!
SD,
May the current flow.....Come back charged :D
Briha

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:19 pm

brihacharan wrote:Hello AD,
What a cute & impressive knife you've made!
Frankly you are creating "Benchmarks" in DIY knife making!!!!!
I would say...its a combination of imagination + innovation (add...sweat & elbow grease) + patience that produce such works of art!
Cheers
Briha
Says it all. So when do bookings open??? :DD

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

astronomy.domaine
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by astronomy.domaine » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:18 pm

Thank u all! Briha sir, essdee, kshitij, atul ji, big daddy n ibalajis. Glad you liked it. With stalwarts and connoisseurs having such deep knowledge of weaponery ,present here , its difficult for me to run out of inspiration and motivation for my amateurish attempts. :-)
AD, I will be in Bangalore in the last week of the year. I would love to meet you personally and shake your hand. Maybe there will be a bit of "induction"!!!
Essdee bhai, you may not have to go to bangalore or wait till the end of the year! I am in process of changing my job and as luck would have it, my new role requires me to work out of Mumbai! So in all probability, by mid next month, you can find me living somewhere around the Powai/Hiranandani area...! I am most keenly looking forward to meet all members of the CM gang!

Added in 13 minutes 50 seconds:
aadhaulya wrote: Do you make your own micatra?? And what epoxy is available in India for making it??

Atul
Yes Atul ji, its homemade micarta. I use Pratik's method of using Areldite as the resin medium. Its a lot thicker than ideally required to easily saturate the cloth layers. The application is a bit mesy but gives pretty decent results on hardening.
"...there is no spoon..."!

pratik_mahale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pratik_mahale » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:43 am

Excellent job AD :clap:

We all are also eagerly waiting to meet you :D

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:56 am

Wowie man! I work out of Powai.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:59 am

AD wrote: You may not have to go to Bangalore or wait till the end of the year! I am in process of changing my job and as luck would have it, my new role requires me to work out of Mumbai! So in all probability, by mid next month, you can find me living somewhere around the Powai/Hiranandani area...! I am most keenly looking forward to meet all members of the CM gang!

Hey AD!
That's good news man....Let us know when it happens!
Briha