One tool option (a knife)

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

One tool option (a knife)

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:07 pm

hello everyone
I am starting this thread as I am collecting knives. I want to ask everyone about his one tool option (only a fixed blade knife). If you have to choose a knife as one tool option which knife would you choose and why?
Last edited by Raghvendrasingh on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....brave by heart, honest by nature and wicked by brain.....

For Advertising mail webmaster
AnandNair
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: One tool option (a knife)

Post by AnandNair » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:47 pm

The one that i personally use.. Victorinox Swiss Army One-Hand Trekker Multi-Tool, Serrated Blade.
Has limited, but most usable options : One-handed serrated locking blade (liner lock), Bottle opener with large locking screwdriver & wire stripper, Can opener with small screwdriver, Phillips screwdriver, Key ring, Toothpick, Tweezers, Reamer, Wood saw.

Of all the above.. the toothpick is the best :)
Some learn by reading. A few by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence.

zombie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by zombie » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:22 pm

My one tool option will be SwissTool X. It offers almost everything that you will ever need.
SwissTool X.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guns are not evil. Humans are

Savaj Outdoors channel: www.youtube.com/savajoutdoors

Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:12 pm

Nice choices bros
....brave by heart, honest by nature and wicked by brain.....

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:15 pm

Raghvendrasingh wrote:hello everyone
I am starting this thread as I am collecting knives. I want to ask everyone about his one tool option (only a fixed blade knife). If you have to choose a knife as one tool option which knife would you choose and why?
In a hypothetical one knife scenario, out of the knives i have, i would choose the Boker Vox Rold. Have not put it through hard use but I am fairly confident the D2 blade will stand upto anything that comes its way. D2 is also said to be slightly better than 1095 in stain resistance and edge holding.
The two contenders for a one knife scenario for me would be the Esee 6 and the Vox Rold. Choose the Vox Rold over the Esee cause of the D2 blade and better handle ergonomics. The factory sheath it comes with is a fail though.

**I guess others have missed the part where you mention 'only a fixed blade knife'.

Cheers
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:53 am

kshitij wrote:In a hypothetical one knife scenario, out of the knives i have, i would choose the Boker Vox Rold. Have not put it through hard use but I am fairly confident the D2 blade will stand upto anything that comes its way. D2 is also said to be slightly better than 1095 in stain resistance and edge holding.
The two contenders for a one knife scenario for me would be the Esee 6 and the Vox Rold. Choose the Vox Rold over the Esee cause of the D2 blade and better handle ergonomics. The factory sheath it comes with is a fail though.

**I guess others have missed the part where you mention 'only a fixed blade knife'.

Cheers
I am not into knives but wont a Khukri be a multi utility thing and easily available.

Arul

choombak
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: RE: Re: One tool option (a knife)

Post by choombak » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:54 pm

kshitij wrote:
Raghvendrasingh wrote:hello everyone
In a hypothetical one knife scenario, out of the knives i have, i would choose the Boker Vox Rold. Have not put it through hard use but I am fairly confident the D2 blade will stand upto anything that comes its way. D2 is also said to be slightly better than 1095 in stain resistance and edge holding.

Cheers
1095 can be field sharpened, while D2 can be a pain without the right sharpening tools. That's what makes ESEE a choice for many survival folks, in addition to the several blade lengths they have. Proper heat treated D2 is indeed a pain - I have several Benchmade and Queen traditional knives that require significant elbow grease while sharpening.

As for me, and my limited experience with fixed blades, I'll pack a Swamprat RatManDu, a 5" blade in SR101 steel (Busse heat treat protocol). The ergonomics appeal me more than anything else on this one.

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:43 am

@choombak,
I use a plain old waterstone to sharpen all my knives. And a leather belt to strop them. I find no difference sharpening the D2 vs the 1095 esee blades that i have.

The Ratmandu is a super knife. Dont mind me asking, but do you have one? If yes, how does the steel compare to say a Bark River A2 blade? I have been wanting to get myself a Busse but cant seem to arrange the specific one i want for myself here in India.
Sorry for going off topic :P

Cheers

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:06 pm

Hi Kshitij,
I appreciate your interest in acquiring a "Busse Knife"...
Knowing your passion for 'bigger & sturdier knives"....the one below should fit your bill well...its only my 2 cents!
Besides this blade is a bit out of the ordinary....especially the profile / grinding....
Its manufactured by Busse Combat Knife Company
Description:
Name: Busse Combat
Model:Team Gemini-M competition finish
Edition:Released at Blade Fair - 2013
Blade Steel: Competition finished INFI
Blade Length: 6" / Overall length: 11.5"
Blade thickness: 0.270"
Grind:Deep dish hollow ground with fuller edge: V
Handle material: Tan and Black G-10
Price: $ 385 USD (Rs.25,410.00 approx)
Briha

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:53 pm

Lovely knife brihaji. But I am lusting after the NMFBM. Sooner or later she is going to be mine ;)
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

choombak
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by choombak » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:34 pm

brihacharan wrote:Hi Kshitij,
I appreciate your interest in acquiring a "Busse Knife"...
Knowing your passion for 'bigger & sturdier knives"....the one below should fit your bill well...its only my 2 cents!
Besides this blade is a bit out of the ordinary....especially the profile / grinding....
Its manufactured by Busse Combat Knife Company
Description:
Name: Busse Combat
Model:Team Gemini-M competition finish
Edition:Released at Blade Fair - 2013
Blade Steel: Competition finished INFI
Blade Length: 6" / Overall length: 11.5"
Blade thickness: 0.270"
Grind:Deep dish hollow ground with fuller edge: V
Handle material: Tan and Black G-10
Price: $ 385 USD (Rs.25,410.00 approx)
Briha
Brihaji, this post is a month late - TGLB has been discontinued by Busse, and only available through secondary market (you don't want to know the prices). Thankfully, I was fortunate to grab a TG (not the LB) in INFI satin finish before they were disc. Shall post a picture in a while.

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:46 am

@choombak, waiting for the images. Also a comparison review or a plain old hands on review would be an absolute delight :D
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

choombak
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by choombak » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:01 pm

kshitij wrote:@choombak, waiting for the images. Also a comparison review or a plain old hands on review would be an absolute delight :D
Here are a few pictures of TG (not the LB) and InfiManDu (RatManDu in INFI steel), picked up at the last Busse Gaaaaanzaaaa (regular first-come-first-serve style release, that typically gets sold out in a matter of minutes). These are special runs, and not regularly available models. Regular run of TG had coated INFI steel, and RatManDu has SR101. For those who are new, Busse family has 3 brands - Busse Combat, Swamp Rat, and Scrap Yard. Busse Combat mostly makes knives from INFI steel, while Swamp Rat and Scrap Yard use SR101. Both INFI and SR101 are proprietary heat treat protocols developed by Busse. As a result the exact composition of steel is not accurately know or published. However, I can attest to the toughness of both INFI and SR101, I have regularly used a Swamp Rat Rodent Solution for a couple of years, and it could pierce metal and crack rocks without chips or dings. TGLB rose in popularity due to Daryl Dixon of The Walking Dead show carrying it during zombie apocalypse...

I haven't had a chance to use either TG (massive at 600 gms, ~8" blade, 6.3 mm thick) or the InfiManDu (300 gms weight, ~5" blade, 4.3 mm thick), they are too pretty, as I already have a fixed blade user. As a result I admire them and put them back in the safe, for now. :mrgreen: Scales are G10, and very ergonomic.

zombie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by zombie » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:01 am

I seem to have missed out 'fixed blade knife' part. So here's my choice for fixed blade one tool option. Coldsteel SRK (AUS8A/San Mai III). 6" blade takes care of most tasks you may throw at it, has good edge retention and a sturdy blade. Moreover at ~340g it is not too heavy either.
Coldsteel SRK.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guns are not evil. Humans are

Savaj Outdoors channel: www.youtube.com/savajoutdoors

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:43 am

Awesome Micarta work, Choombak!!

Brihaji, if you consider that the PPP (Purchasing Power Parity) conversion of USD-INR will be closer to 10 INR / USD rather than the 60-odd exchange rates, 385 doesn't seem too bad. It'll be like a 4K INR in India.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley