DIY Knifemaking: CrV Alloy Steel Dagger

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
astronomy.domaine
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

DIY Knifemaking: CrV Alloy Steel Dagger

Post by astronomy.domaine » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:41 pm

Hi all,
A few days back I got my hands on a piece of Chromium and Vanadium steel in the form of an imported highend chisel (cost me around inr 800). Decided to go for a simple double edgedd dagger design with functional serrations on one side. I was pleasantly surprised how effortless it was to work with the steel. Another strange thing i observed was despite it being considerably harder than D2 tool steel(the usual i use), it was much easier to get a very keen and resilelient edge on the CrV..!In the past i have always seen these two properties as contradictory to each other.do share if any one has any similar experience with cr&v steel.
Here are a few pics of the dagger along with a couple of an experiment in pattern etching using gun blue.
Pls have a look. As always, comments and suggestions are most welcome...:-)

"...there is no spoon..."!

For Advertising mail webmaster
pratik_mahale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: DIY Knifemaking: CrV Alloy Steel Dagger

Post by pratik_mahale » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:30 pm

As always WOW :)

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:29 am

No words.... no words at all!

AD & PM can start a knife company with attached training classes.........I am sure sales to IFG brethren alone can set you up for retirement!!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:12 pm

AD!!!
Immaculate as ever :D
Just love the profile - sleek!!!
I presume the handle is 'micarta'......great job bro :clap:
BTW - the patina, is it done with mustard & vinegar?
Briha

astronomy.domaine
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by astronomy.domaine » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:42 pm

Thanks Briha sir, essdee and Pratik. Glad you all liked it..

brihacharan wrote:I presume the handle is 'micarta'......great job bro :clap:
Briha
@Briha sir- The handle Is black chord over wood. Just coated with some synthetic varnish to harden it and give a bit of sheen.
The patina is a single coat of bluing compound . Just masked the striations on the blade using correction fluid(could not summon the courage to go to a shop and ask for nail polish..! :oops: ) before applying gun blue, and finished it off using 1000grit paper.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:48 pm

astronomy.domaine wrote:Thanks Briha sir, essdee and Pratik. Glad you all liked it..
brihacharan wrote:I presume the handle is 'micarta'......great job bro :clap:
Briha
@Briha sir- The handle Is black chord over wood. Just coated with some synthetic varnish to harden it and give a bit of sheen.
The patina is a single coat of bluing compound . Just masked the striations on the blade using correction fluid(could not summon the courage to go to a shop and ask for nail polish..! :oops: ) before applying gun blue, and finished it off using 1000grit paper.
Very innovative & inventive solutions to creating this exquisite patina :D
Also using black chord over wood + varnishing is functional too!!!
Briha

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:19 pm

astronomy.domaine wrote:Hi all,
A few days back I got my hands on a piece of Chromium and Vanadium steel in the form of an imported highend chisel (cost me around inr 800). Decided to go for a simple double edgedd dagger design with functional serrations on one side. I was pleasantly surprised how effortless it was to work with the steel. Another strange thing i observed was despite it being considerably harder than D2 tool steel(the usual i use), it was much easier to get a very keen and resilelient edge on the CrV..!In the past i have always seen these two properties as contradictory to each other.do share if any one has any similar experience with cr&v steel.
I have two knives that I use, that are made of 8Cr14MoV. Probably not exactly the same material as your chisels were made of.
I too find that though the knives are quite hard, it is easy to get an edge on them and they keep the edge for a while.
They also seem to resist chipping better. I use one of them as my EDC and cut and strip wire on a regular basis. Usually this will take chips out of most blades but not this knife.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:42 am

What black cord did you use, AD?
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

astronomy.domaine
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by astronomy.domaine » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:50 pm

essdee1972 wrote:What black cord did you use, AD?
essdee bhai its the normal braided nylon string made from parachord like material, stocked by all hardware stores.

astronomy.domaine
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by astronomy.domaine » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:05 pm

xl_target wrote: I too find that though the knives are quite hard, it is easy to get an edge on them and they keep the edge for a while.
They also seem to resist chipping better. I use one of them as my EDC and cut and strip wire on a regular basis. Usually this will take chips out of most blades but not this knife.
Thanks for confirming xl_target/..!
I had started wondering if it was just my imagination.>! :D

goondasmani
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by goondasmani » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:16 am

any idea about DIY damascus knives?

astronomy.domaine
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by astronomy.domaine » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:49 pm

goondasmani wrote:any idea about DIY damascus knives?
Well,,,, the words DIY and Damascus are usually not very fond of each other!

Actually forging dmascus steel would at least require a basic furnace, blacksmithy skills/experience and a ton of patience. Having strong arms would also help with the endless hammering and folding of steel layers!

Did u have any specific query in mind?

Cheers

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:38 am

astronomy.domaine wrote: Well,,,, the words DIY and Damascus are usually not very fond of each other!
Actually forging dmascus steel would at least require a basic furnace, blacksmithy skills/experience and a ton of patience. Having strong arms would also help with the endless hammering and folding of steel layers!
Did u have any specific query in mind?
Cheers
AD,

I was under the impression that damascus was all about basic forging. I wasn't aware that the steel would also be folded. Any idea how many layers of steel are required to be folded??

Atul

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:06 pm

aadhaulya wrote: I was under the impression that damascus was all about basic forging. I wasn't aware that the steel would also be folded. Any idea how many layers of steel are required to be folded??
Atul
A bit of intense research reveled this about 'Damascus' steel......
Can you help me understand all of these Damascus knives I keep seeing? They look gorgeous, but are they just for looks? Would one of these make for a good all-around knife?
Well, that’s a complicated question. First, let’s do a little freshening up on what exactly “Damascus steel” is first. Damascus, Wootz, and pattern weld are all names given to different types of steels and blades. Basically, the idea is that two or more steel alloys are forged/cast together through various methods to give the wavy artistic pattern that comes from such a layering process. Unfortunately, the technique for making both Damascus and Wootz steel has been lost to the centuries. Anyone claiming to be making authentic Wootz/Damascus these days is delusional. Or lying . . .
Ref:www.thetruthaboutknives.com/.../ask-a-k ... -about-dam
very interesting read :D
Briha

goondasmani
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by goondasmani » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:42 am

brihacharan wrote:
aadhaulya wrote: I was under the impression that damascus was all about basic forging. I wasn't aware that the steel would also be folded. Any idea how many layers of steel are required to be folded??
Atul
A bit of intense research reveled this about 'Damascus' steel......
Can you help me understand all of these Damascus knives I keep seeing? They look gorgeous, but are they just for looks? Would one of these make for a good all-around knife?
Well, that’s a complicated question. First, let’s do a little freshening up on what exactly “Damascus steel” is first. Damascus, Wootz, and pattern weld are all names given to different types of steels and blades. Basically, the idea is that two or more steel alloys are forged/cast together through various methods to give the wavy artistic pattern that comes from such a layering process. Unfortunately, the technique for making both Damascus and Wootz steel has been lost to the centuries. Anyone claiming to be making authentic Wootz/Damascus these days is delusional. Or lying . . .
Ref:www.thetruthaboutknives.com/.../ask-a-k ... -about-dam
very interesting read :D
Briha
there are tons of videos in youtube on how to make damascus knife. The pattern welding methods need basic knowledge.you need a heating source which will vary from coal furnace to induction heater.Being city dweller i could not find a place to start a furnace but can borrow from a blacksmith and planning to build induction heater in months."""" this just one of ideas
On making wootz http://projects.olin.edu/revere/Cool%20 ... 202001.pdf
this will help for basic knowledge. wootz is famous in south India its called urukku ( my dad said urruku long before when i said about wootz). In the process of making wootz ingot is prepared using soft iron,hard iron, glass,charcoal,bamboo/avari leaves(avari is plant with yellow flowers.grows in south part of andhra and north part of tamilnadu.The placement of all the ingredients in ingot remains mystery. I am planning to search for blacksmiths(mainly temple blacksmiths) and inquire them about wootz in andhra,tamilnadu and in karnataka and do a diy on them.Afer the inquiry i will share the knowledge in IFG