Can I carry machete into India without permit.

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Sharpe
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Can I carry machete into India without permit.

Post by Sharpe » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:10 am

hi,

I am new to this forum, though I had been following thin on and off due to my interest in guns an knives. But since the rules in India are so lousy, that all interest only developed to trivia and never a hobby. I need some urgent help and hence the post.

I am in US and want to buy a Gerber Jr. machete, as well as the machete. I know as per dimensions it falls under arms category (thanks to g4i for the knowledge), but can I get away with it as machetes are meant for cutting shrubs. And hence can be considered agricultural and or domestic. This the 14th time I amm in US and every single time I have wanted to buy this, but decided otherwise.

The other part of the query is if it is in fact illegal and I do carry it in my checked luggage, what would happen if I am stopped by customs. Will I have to just surrender it and plead ignorance and let them confiscate it. Or will I be charged with a crime and what's the max penalty. I'm trying to figure out is it worth the risk given that the actual cost of the machete is only about $ 24 .

Need help urgently, have been fascinated by this machete for two years now.

Cheers

For Advertising mail webmaster
aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Can I carry machete into India without permit.

Post by aadhaulya » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:06 am

I do not know the legal status, but I have bought knives big and small in my checked in baggage and have never been questioned. The worst I feel that can happen is that it can get confiscated by customs. This is my opinion and I plan to continue doing it in the future as well, since I do not buy very expensive knives, and can afford to let it confiscated.

Atul

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:10 am

That blades in question costs about 50usd here in india. Is an additional 25$ worth all the hassles?
https://www.cart2india.com/gardening-to ... 4302690358
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

estousandy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by estousandy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:08 am

All these machetes were easily available in India not too long ago, all dried up now. About legality at customs, since these are not knives technically there shouldn't be a problem but it's India. This gator you've chosen is only half tang so i suggest you get something better since you're already in the free country. Preferably a Tramontina if you want it to work, or an Ontario. Gerbers are only 1050 steel, 1070-95 is more suitable for a machete. If you insist on Gerber, get the bolo. It's just too strong & swingable.
with guns we are citizens, without we are subjects

Sharpe
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Sharpe » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:49 pm

Thanks for the inputs guys.

Aadhaulya, even I had carried knives before, but they were kitchen knives, nothing that has a semblance of a weapon.

Estuusandy - yeah I know it was half tang, but had made my peace with the fact, cause the alternatives weren't "cool" enough. Now that you have dropped a few names, I will check them out.

Cheers

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:28 am

Sharpe wrote:Aadhaulya, even I had carried knives before, but they were kitchen knives, nothing that has a semblance of a weapon.
Sharpe, the knives I get are weapon type and nothing like kitchen knives.

Regards

Atul

harshit89
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshit89 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:36 pm

I don't think that machete are legal in India without permission as when the law don't allow the blades more than 6 inches, then how can it allow a machete which has a huge knife blade.
Keep knives in your pocket and pray that you will never need it

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:57 pm

harshit89 wrote:I don't think that machete are legal in India without permission as when the law don't allow the blades more than 6 inches, then how can it allow a machete which has a huge knife blade.

please check out the arms act, before saying such things, machete are a agriculture tools thus they are not considered under the 9x2 inches rule, lots of farmers/gardeners have tools that are over 9inches.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.