DIY BLADE QUESTION

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Re: DIY BLADE QUESTION

Post by essdee1972 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:16 am

Atul,

The site of dcknives mentioned by Kshitij also has handle patterns. Please please please do not weld anything onto the blade - it will impact hardness BADLY and will have to be heat treated again (with no guarantee of results, all depends on how the molten metal mixes and cools after the welding). Even brazing will not give a good result. Unless you want a pure wall hanger.

For wood working, you can use angle grinder with flap wheel sanders to do the rough shape. A wood rasp for hand work (ask for lakdi wala file), and sandpapers. A simple 1 foot saw will do the cutting easily. Buy the ones with a piece of thicker metal screwed to the top edge - they do not bend and give straighter cuts. I have even used bench grinder for shaping hard wood. Wear a mask!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

For Advertising mail webmaster
aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:27 am

essdee1972 wrote:Atul,
The site of dcknives mentioned by Kshitij also has handle patterns. Please please please do not weld anything onto the blade - it will impact hardness BADLY and will have to be heat treated again (with no guarantee of results, all depends on how the molten metal mixes and cools after the welding). Even brazing will not give a good result. Unless you want a pure wall hanger.
For wood working, you can use angle grinder with flap wheel sanders to do the rough shape. A wood rasp for hand work (ask for lakdi wala file), and sandpapers. A simple 1 foot saw will do the cutting easily. Buy the ones with a piece of thicker metal screwed to the top edge - they do not bend and give straighter cuts. I have even used bench grinder for shaping hard wood. Wear a mask!
SD,

How does one fix the metal stop (metal part between the blade and the wooden handle), without welding it on to the blade??
kshitij wrote:Hi Atul,
Why do you plan to use the steel tube in the handle scales? Is there any specific function or reason you have in mind?
The general practice is to cut the handle profile out of 6 or 8mm thick flat wood. Then glue and rivet it to the blade on either side and sand down the egdes.
If possible please share pics of where you have reached in the project and the experts here can guide/advice/suggest you through the project step wise.
Kshitij,

I will post the pic tomorrow, but I am not getting the proper shape for the blade using the angle grinder (using a steel cutting wheel and a steel grinding wheel). May be a bench grinder would work better but my bench grinders are not working and no money to get them repaired soon.
Besides that I found two old heavily rusted blades, one hunting knife and a heavy khukri at home. For about a month I am working on the blades to get the rust off, to get a finish like AD's blades. The rust has mostly come off but there is some sort of minor pitting that refuses to budge. Without cleaning that up I will never get the AD finish.

Considering both the points I am on the verge of giving up the project. And just concentrate on maintaining the blades that I own.

Hope after seeing the pics I get some suggestions to change my approach to the project in a different manner, before i give it up.

Atul

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:38 pm

Atul,
Generally the rough profile is cut using a hand grinder and the final finishing of the profile is done either with a file (very laborious and time consuming) or a bench grinder.
If you have the older knives that need some work, they can act as a cure to the DIY itch now for. Getting the "AD" finish by hand is a tough task but something more mortal can be fun to do and also help get the older blades back in shape.
Also some amount of pitting gives the blade character, especially with older purpose built ones :D

Looking forward to the pics.
:Cheers:
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:56 pm

Kshitij,

I today gave it one more try. I think the problem was with my patience. In doing one and a half edge of the blade I have run through 2 cutting wheels, they have worn out and on continuing they broke off from the angle grinder. Therefore, it would take more time by cutting it gently and at a lower feed rate.

Atul

astronomy.domaine
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by astronomy.domaine » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:26 pm

Atul ji,
Are you not using flap discs for the edge grinding process? Cutoff discs are not suitable for this and may even be dangerous if they break while in use. Once the initial profile is cut, you can switch to 80/100/120 grit flapdiscs for grinding and bevel.
"...there is no spoon..."!

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:16 pm

The metal stops / bolsters are fitted with rivets. You can also cut a slit in the brass to slightly less than (less than a mm difference) the exact size of the blade, heat the brass to about 200-300 degrees, when it will expand, slip the knife in, and let it cool.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:22 pm

astronomy.domaine wrote:Atul ji,
Are you not using flap discs for the edge grinding process? Cutoff discs are not suitable for this and may even be dangerous if they break while in use. Once the initial profile is cut, you can switch to 80/100/120 grit flapdiscs for grinding and bevel.
Switch to 80/100/120 grit flap-discs for grinding and bevel.
You're right 'AD' - It truly works well - though a steady hand is needed to guide the flap-discs - this is precisely what I did for my Bushcraft Blade (see pic below)
Briha

marksman_dd
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by marksman_dd » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:11 pm

hi guys,
need help regarding my old dagger. I am planing to change the handle as it's too short, also i want to process the blade into non reflective grey finish or Damascus with one side 3/4th serrated...
need your help and guidance.
posting the pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
faster, faster, faster, faster .......
till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:10 am

Marksman, a humble suggestion...... please do not alter this piece. It's too lovely!
Cheers!

EssDee

marksman_dd
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by marksman_dd » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:59 am

I know, it's been with me for a long time, just want to alter the handle as it's too short about 4"

Sent from my E6553

Added in 2 minutes 18 seconds:
Just came up with an idea [ELECTRIC LIGHT BULB]
Will try making brass handle, just like the original, but about 6" in length.

Sent from my E6553

marksman_dd
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by marksman_dd » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:59 am

Just came up with an idea [ELECTRIC LIGHT BULB]
Will try making brass handle, just like the original, but about 6" in length.

Sent from my E6553

marksman_dd
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by marksman_dd » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:55 pm

First attempt to make a wooden handle for my dagger.
Hope would be able to make it fit.8-)

Sent from my E6553

Added in 1 minute 36 seconds:
After a long time i tried bushcrafting, hurts badly....

Sent from my E6553

marksman_dd
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by marksman_dd » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:55 pm

After a long time i tried bushcrafting, hurts badly....

Sent from my E6553

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:38 pm

Marksman_dd,

The knife you are using is more than Wow... and attempting a DIY handle right from the scratch is simply awesome......

Atul

--

marksman_dd
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by marksman_dd » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:25 pm

aadhaulya wrote:Marksman_dd,

The knife you are using is more than Wow... and attempting a DIY handle right from the scratch is simply awesome......

Atul

--
thanks atul, still more work is required, will be updating the process