DIY Knifemaking: Droppoint Hunter

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
astronomy.domaine
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: DIY Knifemaking: Droppoint Hunter

Post by astronomy.domaine » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:13 pm

@ Adrian: welcome to the forum!
Well, I use pre tempered tool grade steel in most of my knives. Its usually between 54-58 hrc. Not the ideal hardness but fairly OK. Unfortunately, its exceedingly difficult to
have access to a decent temper/heat-treat facility here, specially for such small volumes.
"...there is no spoon..."!

For Advertising mail webmaster
astronomy.domaine
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by astronomy.domaine » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:17 pm

@ SMJ: that's strange! are you able to see the links? You can use them to view the pics directly at www.imageshack.com

Adrian Mario Cooke
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Adrian Mario Cooke » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:28 pm

Hi Astronomy,
Using tempered tool grade steel must be tough,it will heat up while grinding,more usage of power tools and more time.
If you check back some time ago i posted pics of a Tanto and a Bowie - No power tools used only hand rubbing upto 600 grit wet and dry.
Then Natural air tempering, check on line for air tempering process.
Works pretty hard,have used the Bowie on Roast turkey during Christmas and the heavy bones were a breeze to chop through.
The Tanto i tested by swinging against a pole of wood used for building construct and sunk it all the way in.had a tough time pulling it out.
I chose air tempering because i read many articles where good blades are damaged during oil and water tempering.
Regards,
Adrian.

astronomy.domaine
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by astronomy.domaine » Fri May 01, 2015 5:28 am

@Adrian- you are right about the tool steel. Its tougher to work on and just eats through grinding disks. I tend to go slow with power tools and use water to keep the surface temp low. I guess that's a tradeoff for skipping the normal tempering process.
Air tempering and case hardening is definitely on my 'to do' list.

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Fri May 01, 2015 9:27 pm

Hi AD, somehow I could not view them last time i logged in... Anyways just did, what a fantastic job mate- they look awesome (y)

Lanceman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Lanceman » Wed May 06, 2015 11:26 pm

Spectacular work Astronomy. Beautiful finish. Where did you get the tool steel and which one is it?
It is better to die on one's feet than live on one's knees.

astronomy.domaine
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by astronomy.domaine » Thu May 07, 2015 8:59 am

Lanceman wrote:Spectacular work Astronomy. Beautiful finish. Where did you get the tool steel and which one is it?
Thanks @Lanceman!
The steel, I believe, is carbon alloy A2 or D2. The most commonly used variety for industrial shearing blades, chisels, rasps etc. In India. It comes partially heat treated and has hardness in the range of 54 to 58/60 HRC.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Thu May 07, 2015 11:13 am

AD, there are tutorials mentioning tempering in an oven at ~300-400 degrees C. Cake oven or microwave oven in convection mode.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

astronomy.domaine
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by astronomy.domaine » Thu May 07, 2015 4:44 pm

essdee1972 wrote:AD, there are tutorials mentioning tempering in an oven at ~300-400 degrees C. Cake oven or microwave oven in convection mode.
@essdee1972: those are procedures for post heat treat tempering (relieving stress by partial softening) in hardened steel. And not for the hardening process itself, which requires temperatures of at least 900degC and above.

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Fri May 08, 2015 12:25 am

@AD, you are right about the tempering.
Also generally all tool steels are pre hardened and tempered, i.e files, saw blades etc already have some kind of heat treat and temper done. The knives made from them may not be as good as a high quality knife but is a decent place to start for newbie/cheap knife making.
In my little experience, the trick with them is to not let the metal get too hot while processing the blade blank from the original metal tool/plate. So i normally dip the blank in water while putting a bevel on it, this keeps the blade cool and hopeflly doesnt ruin the original heat treat.

*I must add, i am no expert and only starting to find my feet in knife making, so i may be wrong with my assumptions :)
Lock, Stock and Barrel.