Anything you can tell about this 'TEGHA'

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Nihangsingh
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Anything you can tell about this 'TEGHA'

Post by Nihangsingh » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:52 pm

Hi Friends,

I have recently acquired this Tegha. The blade has inbuild patterns ( which I recently learnt are called ' Johars'), there is a stamp on it near the handle but I am not able to make anything of it. I am posting its pics here so that the experts on this forum may tell me something about it.

regards to all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Teero, Tufango, Bado Raam Jango, Dhamakhdhaar Aniaar, Kamand Korrha, Panj Shaster Parvaan"

For Advertising mail webmaster
harshit89
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Anything you can tell about this 'TEGHA'

Post by harshit89 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:51 pm

Really an awesome blade swords. I seems that its pretty old and antique as well.
Keep knives in your pocket and pray that you will never need it

dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dsingh » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:41 am

It looks like Goliya Kirpan or sword Tegha has broad blade Goliya has hollowness in blade and moves fast howolness can be assessed by touching it if it is not hollow then it is pure sword.It doees not matter whther it is sword of particular kind or not but is not tegha.Goliya was carried by high officials during Mughal period Aurangjeb has unlimited
skill in handling Goliya as it has unpredictable movements .During one of the fighting in deccan when he was surrounded by Maratha warriors he used this weapon with great skill .During central asian war when he was comander of force sent by his father Shahjahan he repulshed uzbeks in a battle in which he used this sword.Apart from Aurangjeb sixth Guru of sikhs Guru Hargobind ji generel Bidhi chand ji was very expert in this type of weapon u can see shape of weapon and compare with ur weapon.It is great weapon
which has particular qualties.

Nihangsingh
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Nihangsingh » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:24 pm

Thanks for the input 'dsingh'. The blade is not hollow as in Golia. But do you think that this blade is as curved as a Golia?

Any comments on blade and the stamp?
"Teero, Tufango, Bado Raam Jango, Dhamakhdhaar Aniaar, Kamand Korrha, Panj Shaster Parvaan"

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:57 pm

When you say goliya is hollow, what do you mean? Hollow in what sense? Does it externally look like any other sword? What is the difference between goliya sword and tegha sword?
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:49 pm

Very well maintained sword. The hilt looks exactly similar to my 150 year sword.

Atul

Nihangsingh
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Nihangsingh » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:04 pm

aadhaulya wrote:Very well maintained sword. The hilt looks exactly similar to my 150 year sword.

Atul
yes, the design of the hilt is same albeit for a lighter sword, if I m not wrong.

do tell some more about your sword, its history and lineage. from the pic it seems that the edge has been resharpened as it is not in line with the base of the blade.
regards

Added in 6 minutes 15 seconds:
goodboy_mentor wrote:When you say goliya is hollow, what do you mean? Hollow in what sense? Does it externally look like any other sword? What is the difference between goliya sword and tegha sword?
Hollow means having Furrow running the length of the blade which decrease the weight of the blade without any considerable compromise with its strength.

Goliya is very curved and extremely light ( for handling by a highly agile warrior) . On the other hand, tegha is a heavy sword with lesser curve but very strong and could be handled by a strong person.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:29 pm

Nihangsingh,

The blade has not been sharpened. It belonged to my great grandfather in UP. It seemed to have been built for small hands as it is a tight fit in my hand. It was badly rusted and I have cleaned and rubbed it cleaned and rubbed vigorously. Besides that I do not know anything about this sword.

Atul

Nihangsingh
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Nihangsingh » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:33 pm

if I am not wrong the blade has been sharpened second or third time. In the times of your Great grandfather, Swords needed resharpening after being used in battles. After third resharpening a sword is retired and placed at home. It might have lost its edge during these years, especially if you are saying that it was very rusted.

regarding small handles, the indian Tulwar hilt is made that way as it does not provide much room for wrist movement and is especially made for draw cuts. the hanle should be snug fit. I have similar problem with my swords, but again, I think I need to work on my technique rather.

You have its scabbard? if not, I would suggest you have one made to keep it in a good shape.

Does the blade has some kind of patterns on it? Is there any kind of stamp on or near its hilt? Any idea what your Great grandfather did for a living?

Regards

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:57 pm

Nihangsingh wrote:if I am not wrong the blade has been sharpened second or third time. In the times of your Great grandfather, Swords needed resharpening after being used in battles. After third resharpening a sword is retired and placed at home. It might have lost its edge during these years, especially if you are saying that it was very rusted.

regarding small handles, the indian Tulwar hilt is made that way as it does not provide much room for wrist movement and is especially made for draw cuts. the hanle should be snug fit. I have similar problem with my swords, but again, I think I need to work on my technique rather.

You have its scabbard? if not, I would suggest you have one made to keep it in a good shape.

Does the blade has some kind of patterns on it? Is there any kind of stamp on or near its hilt? Any idea what your Great grandfather did for a living?

Regards
Does not seem to have any pattern on it. But I probably rubbed it off while cleaning it. My great granddad was a landlord and we still have possession of the 1000 year old place were he resided and the address still continues as the 'Mehal'. This was after winning the case in Allahabad high court to declare it a monument.
Stupid mistake made by my ancestors as they are in no position to renovate it or even repair it if a wall falls down.

Atul

Nihangsingh
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Nihangsingh » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:12 pm

The flow patterns are in the metal itself and no matter what kind of rubbing the blade endures, there is always a pattern underneath. That is for specific kind of blades like damascus etc. However, I have learnt from a friend of mine that some type of blades like those made of 'Faulaad' do not have any pattern at all. But the blades of such swords are quite heavy.
So if your ' Mehal' has been declared a monument, then Govt. must be paying for its upkeep!!!!
Anyways, do take good care of the sword of your Great Grandpa, as it belongs to you now.
regards

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:22 pm

Nihangsingh wrote:The flow patterns are in the metal itself and no matter what kind of rubbing the blade endures, there is always a pattern underneath. That is for specific kind of blades like damascus etc. However, I have learnt from a friend of mine that some type of blades like those made of 'Faulaad' do not have any pattern at all. But the blades of such swords are quite heavy.
So if your ' Mehal' has been declared a monument, then Govt. must be paying for its upkeep!!!!
Anyways, do take good care of the sword of your Great Grandpa, as it belongs to you now.
regards
No, it has not been declared a monument (though I believe it should have been). But my ancestors fought the case against the government to declare it a monument in Allahabad high court, and won the case as it was still being used as a residence.
You may also be right about resharpening and then retired, but I am not aware of that history.

Atul