Mumbai Region Campout

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Mumbai Region Campout

Post by kshitij » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:47 pm

The sharp section of the forum caught my interest a while ago. Was hugely impressed by the knowledge, knife making skills and knife collections of the veteran members of Mumbai CMG and other fellow IFG members. In time I collected a few knives myself, also learned the trance like joy of making a blade and hand working a razor sharp edge on to it.
After experiencing that high, what saddens me is the lack of opportunity to put my knives to their intended use. I dream of chopping, feathering, batoning etc using my knife to explore the limits of both myself as well as the tool made by me. The extended working hours of the past couple of months has me itching to take a break, go out and do exactly that.
I have a feeling that many other fellow members from Mumbai must be sharing my predicament. So was thinking about exploring the option of heading out and setting camp some place where we can make our own fire and meal :D
Any pointers of good places to peacefully setup camp not too far from Mumbai would be highly appreciated.
Last edited by kshitij on Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Mumbai Region Knife Camp?

Post by brihacharan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:08 pm

kshitij wrote:The sharp section of the forum caught my interest a while ago. Was hugely impressed by the knowledge, knife making skills and knife collections of the veteran members of Mumbai CMG and other fellow IFG members. In time I collected a few knives myself, also learned the trance like joy of making a blade and hand working a razor sharp edge on to it.
After experiencing that high, what saddens me is the lack of opportunity to put my knives to their intended use. I dream of chopping, feathering, batoning etc using my knife to explore the limits of both myself as well as the tool made by me. The extended working hours of the past couple of months has me itching to take a break, go out and do exactly that.
I have a feeling that many other fellow members from Mumbai must be sharing my predicament. So was thinking about exploring the option of heading out and setting camp some place where we can make our own fire and meal :D
Any pointers of good places to peacefully setup camp not too far from Mumbai would be highly appreciated.
A brilliant 'Idea' :clap:
For starters the CMG (Churi Mochi Gang) of Mumbai could take the initiative....
A couple of hour's drive would take us to some nice camping grounds where....
1. The veterans could give a talk about 'Knives'...Materials used, Making process, Terminologies, Identifying shapes, Anatomy of knives, Popular Knife brands, Functions & utilities, Locking systems etc....
2. Added attraction could be a camp fire, cookout, sharing experiences etc.....
Mumbai Knife Gurus....Are you listening?????
Briha

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:09 am

Count me in!! The CMG has been planning to do this for what seems like a couple of millenia, but we never got around to it :cry:

Some members also have farmhouses, beach houses, etc., where we can camp out.

Just do it, Nike!!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:36 am

Great ideas.... :lol:

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:17 am

@brihaji, essdee: dial a couple of numbers and get this thing going please. We have slingshot on the team, so making this happen shouldn't be all too difficult for us.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:20 pm

What a great idea Kshitij- do you think the Tahmini forests around Mulshi or Pawna forests in Lonavala would be a good bet for overnight camps?

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:41 pm

Hi SMJ,

Both tamini and pawna sound ideal, though i have not camped overnight at either only been there for daytime outings. I guess since it is going to a be first for most of us, we should look at place at least one of us is familiar with.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Mumbai Region Campout

Post by essdee1972 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:17 am

And since most of us own sedans or hatchbacks, the road to and fro should not require a 4WD vehicle!!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:45 am

Hi Kshitij, agreed! I have done an overnight camp at a place called saltar (close to Pawna) couple of times, although that was ages ago! I understand that a "commercial camping experience" is not what you had in mind when you started this thread :) However, you may want to check out http://www.bigredtent.in/sh92.php as a very last resort although I am hoping forum members would come up with some excellent options for a proper camping experience.

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:06 pm

Hi SMJ,
I am not considering the commercial camping outfits since generally they have other folks too on the same camp site. Not sure if the other campers will take to well to one or more guys with a bunch of knives...
Also right now given the temperature levels in Mumbai, a cooler campsite on higher ground is ideal. Exploring few options.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:31 pm

If you guys are not so hung up about sleeping under the bright stars, we can look at a bungalow at Mahabaleshwar / Panchgani area. I once stayed there. Pretty basic, but much less so than tents!
Cheers!

EssDee