What is best outdoors survival weapon: Multitool or Knives?

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
harshit89
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

What is best outdoors survival weapon: Multitool or Knives?

Post by harshit89 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:41 am

The reason I am creating this thread is to know what can be the best survival weapon for outdoors. There is always a conflict between the views where some say that the multiools are best for EDC as they can be used for many applications and some say that the knives are better as they are revealed in no time in case of any emergency.

I usually go for outdoors camps but never had took any multiools or knives. But Now I feel that its very important to carry along with you the best self defence weapon for outdoors.

Please suggest me which is best: Multitool or Knives.
Keep knives in your pocket and pray that you will never need it

For Advertising mail webmaster
essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Re: What is best outdoors survival weapon: Multitool or Kniv

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:44 pm

Weapon? For what? Or rather against what? If you really need a weapon, the sky can be the limit if you find yourself in a good enough wilderness! If you find yourself deep in some Amazonian jungle, carry a rifle (for jaguars / anacondas), a pistol (for smaller snakes), several knives, something to whack tarantulas with, and something to keep piranha off you!

Moreover, please see the thread on using knives for self-defense. In short, please don't!

As a tool, carry both. Not a huge weight anyway!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:11 pm

OK, I will write a confession here.......

If anyone has ever camped alone in the woods and said they were never ever frightened they are most likely lying to you!

So yes, logic and rationality can say that you do not need anything for self defense in the outdoors but when you are laying on the ground in the pitch black and start hearing some weird noise that seems to be crashing closer and closer in your direction logic and rationality can go out the window.

Anyway, the best thing to have is a stick about 40mm in diameter and about as tall as your shoulder. Then if you are attacked by a giant python you can whack it like a club and if you are attacked by a jaguar you can stab it like a spear. If that sounds silly to you, you should realize how ineffective any sort of EDC tool will be, unless it has a saw to cut your stick with!
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

mercury
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by mercury » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:12 pm

a forked stick ...with the required length ; is great to keep snakes and rabid dogs at length,....given you have the courage !! But it has been done. and I talk through experience having worked in such an environment.

Weapons are great outdoor survival weapons....BUT ...you need the time to react and you have to have it in you !! If you do not have it in you ....nothing will help.

I have spent along time in jungles...no boast here ; I was scared shirtless.......

Its all in the HEAD...its all about NOT reaction...But INSTINCT.
Throw me to the wolves....I will return leading the pack.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:40 pm

in the greatoutdoors, in my little experience one never had the need to use a screwdriver etc. as i have not found any screws to undo, only nuts. a strong knife is good to have as it will do most small camp jobs. a flexable folding chain is a good idea if need to brings down great trees.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

AnandNair
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by AnandNair » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:31 pm

:mrgreen: KUKHRI :mrgreen:
Some learn by reading. A few by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence.

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:19 pm

COURAGE

TC

PS On a serious note, God forbid, If I suddenly found myself alone in the middle of nowhere I would think of a fixed blade knife with a full tang blade heavy enough to chop. What will you unscrew with a multi-tool when you are screwed quite bad yourself ROTFL ROTFL

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:00 pm

[youtube][/youtube]

take a look
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

harshit89
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshit89 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:31 am

essdee1972 wrote:Weapon? For what? Or rather against what? If you really need a weapon, the sky can be the limit if you find yourself in a good enough wilderness! If you find yourself deep in some Amazonian jungle, carry a rifle (for jaguars / anacondas), a pistol (for smaller snakes), several knives, something to whack tarantulas with, and something to keep piranha off you!

Moreover, please see the thread on using knives for self-defense. In short, please don't!

As a tool, carry both. Not a huge weight anyway!
Thanks for the reply,
But I really don't prefer to use and carry any ammunitions for EDC and outdoors.
I just really want to know what best fit as outdoors survival weapon: multitool or knives.

harshit89
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshit89 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:35 am

pistolero wrote:

take a look
The link you gave doesn't seem to be helping me to decide whether the best outdoors survival weapon is knives or mutltiools.
Relating to this youtube video, I have seen the self defence expandable batons which works almost like it.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:02 pm

Mark wrote:OK, I will write a confession here.......

If anyone has ever camped alone in the woods and said they were never ever frightened they are most likely lying to you!

So yes, logic and rationality can say that you do not need anything for self defense in the outdoors but when you are laying on the ground in the pitch black and start hearing some weird noise that seems to be crashing closer and closer in your direction logic and rationality can go out the window.

Anyway, the best thing to have is a stick about 40mm in diameter and about as tall as your shoulder. Then if you are attacked by a giant python you can whack it like a club and if you are attacked by a jaguar you can stab it like a spear. If that sounds silly to you, you should realize how ineffective any sort of EDC tool will be, unless it has a saw to cut your stick with!
nagarifle wrote:in the greatoutdoors, in my little experience one never had the need to use a screwdriver etc. as i have not found any screws to undo, only nuts. a strong knife is good to have as it will do most small camp jobs.
Very well said Mark, nagarifle, - lovely! :D

harshit89 - this recalls to mind - Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan and how he survived in the jungle. He did acquire a knife later on when he found his parent's cabin.

Quote from ERB: Among other things he found a sharp hunting knife, on the keen blade of which he immediately proceeded to cut his finger. Undaunted he continued his experiments, finding that he could hack and hew splinters of wood from the table and chairs with this new toy.

This enabled him to achieve supremacy amongst the powerful apes and fashion his other requirements such as a bow and arrows with considerable ease.

So, if given a choice - a good stout knife is all I would need! :cheers:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:41 am

I believe you are best off with a good pocket knife. Back in 1870, a man named Everts was exploring Yellowstone National Park with the Washburn Expedition. He was lost when his horse ran away from him, and therefore had no food, guns, or any other supplies except what he had on his person. He wandered for weeks before he was found. He couldn't kill any game -- he had no gun -- and there were no maize or wheat fields there from which food could be obtained.

Everts survived by using his pocket knife to cut off thistle plants, and ate the stem. If you ever go to Yellowstone National Park, you can try this. The thistle stems taste like okra.

When he was found, Everts was practically starved to death. The men who found him poured a large quantity of bear grease down his throat, in order to get his system "moving" again. I should imagine that the result of this was a short time rival to Yellowstone's massive thunderstorms and bubbling mud pots.

Based on Evert's experience then, I recommend a pocket knife. You won't be able to harvest anything but thistles and you will get plugged up, but at least you will survive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truman_C._Everts
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:39 pm

nagarifle wrote:
In the greatoutdoors, in my little experience one never had the need to use a screwdriver etc. as i have not found any screws to undo, only nuts. a strong knife is good to have as it will do most small camp jobs :clap:
:agree:
Briha

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:36 pm

timmy wrote:I believe you are best off with a good pocket knife. Back in 1870, a man named Everts was exploring Yellowstone National Park with the Washburn Expedition. He was lost when his horse ran away from him, and therefore had no food, guns, or any other supplies except what he had on his person. He wandered for weeks before he was found. He couldn't kill any game -- he had no gun -- and there were no maize or wheat fields there from which food could be obtained.

Everts survived by using his pocket knife to cut off thistle plants, and ate the stem. If you ever go to Yellowstone National Park, you can try this. The thistle stems taste like okra.

When he was found, Everts was practically starved to death. The men who found him poured a large quantity of bear grease down his throat, in order to get his system "moving" again. I should imagine that the result of this was a short time rival to Yellowstone's massive thunderstorms and bubbling mud pots.

Based on Evert's experience then, I recommend a pocket knife. You won't be able to harvest anything but thistles and you will get plugged up, but at least you will survive.

Timmy,

:mrgreen:
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:57 pm

Vikram wrote:
timmy wrote:I believe you are best off with a good pocket knife. Back in 1870, a man named Everts was exploring Yellowstone National Park with the Washburn Expedition. He was lost when his horse ran away from him, and therefore had no food, guns, or any other supplies except what he had on his person. He wandered for weeks before he was found. He couldn't kill any game -- he had no gun -- and there were no maize or wheat fields there from which food could be obtained.

Timmy,

TC