What is best outdoors survival weapon: Multitool or Knives?

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: What is best outdoors survival weapon: Multitool or Kniv

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:39 pm

A great fixed blade knife like esee 5 can do everything. One can chop down trees, can split wood, can make a wooden spear and can do hundreds of tasks. A multitool can't replace a fixed knife but a knife can. In outdoor , one has to use wood for almost everything like fire, cooking etc. which a multitool can't afford.
....brave by heart, honest by nature and wicked by brain.....

For Advertising mail webmaster
harshit89
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshit89 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:55 am

I would like to thank you all for your replies.
Now I believe that the both a multitool or knives can become the best outdoors survival weapons, but it solely depends on the situations which are going to come your way.
When you think of multitool, they are best to be kept in your bug out bag where they can be used for multiple applications and they are easy to carry and deploy as well. Whereas the knives either the fixed blade knives or the folding knives are perfect to camping, hunting, trekking and hiking as well where they can be used for some heavy duty applications.
Keep knives in your pocket and pray that you will never need it

choombak
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

What is best outdoors survival weapon: Multitool or Knives?

Post by choombak » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:41 pm

harshit89 wrote:
essdee1972 wrote:Weapon? For what? Or rather against what? If you really need a weapon, the sky can be the limit if you find yourself in a good enough wilderness! If you find yourself deep in some Amazonian jungle, carry a rifle (for jaguars / anacondas), a pistol (for smaller snakes), several knives, something to whack tarantulas with, and something to keep piranha off you!

Moreover, please see the thread on using knives for self-defense. In short, please don't!

As a tool, carry both. Not a huge weight anyway!
Thanks for the reply,
But I really don't prefer to use and carry any ammunitions for EDC and outdoors.
I just really want to know what best fit as outdoors survival weapon: multitool or knives.
Maybe if you'd have said "best outdoor survival tool" people would have better answers. Weapon and tool are two completely different meaning. ;-)

Best outdoor survival tool is the ability to get away from the site of danger, and maybe climb trees. Everything else is bound to hurt you in one way or the other, so don't even think about it.

As for multitool or a knife, I'd say have both - they have different uses for different scenarios. Get a full sized Leatherman, and a 4" fixed blade for a start when camping outdoors. It is assumed your pocket knife never leaves you as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by choombak on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harshit89
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshit89 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:48 am

choombak wrote:
harshit89 wrote:
essdee1972 wrote:Weapon? For what? Or rather against what? If you really need a weapon, the sky can be the limit if you find yourself in a good enough wilderness! If you find yourself deep in some Amazonian jungle, carry a rifle (for jaguars / anacondas), a pistol (for smaller snakes), several knives, something to whack tarantulas with, and something to keep piranha off you!

Moreover, please see the thread on using knives for self-defense. In short, please don't!

As a tool, carry both. Not a huge weight anyway!
Thanks for the reply,
But I really don't prefer to use and carry any ammunitions for EDC and outdoors.
I just really want to know what best fit as outdoors survival weapon: multitool or knives.
Maybe if you'd have said "best outdoor survival tool" people would have better answers. Weapon and tool are two completely different meaning. ;-)

Best outdoor survival tool is the ability to get away from the site of danger, and maybe climb trees. Everything else is bond to hurt you in one way or the other, so don't even think about it.

As for multitool or a knife, I'd say have both - they have different uses for different scenarios. Get a full sized Leatherman, and a 4" fixed blade for a start when camping outdoors. It is assumed your pocket knife never leaves you as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for your suggestions.
I now think that both the multitools and knives are best to keep in mu bug out bag when I go for any camping trips or so.
Now I am planning to get a full size multitool knife. Is leatherman is good or the Gerber.
Also want to say that a 4" fixed blade doesn't seem to be good for camping outdoors and I think that they can only be used for EDC.

subhomca2003
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by subhomca2003 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:57 pm

Hi,

I believe, for any kind of remote outdoor activity you need to have a good machete (anything like a kukri, dao, a butchers chopper or whatever can also work) and don't called it a weapon, its a tool :), also a cool mind, 4 feet bamboo stick and a 4 cells flash light would be suffice.

harshit89
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshit89 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:50 am

Finally got a best outdoors survival weapons in the form of Tac Force Folder.
Really a cool knife to have for everyday carry.

choombak
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by choombak » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:03 am

harshit89 wrote:Finally got a best outdoors survival weapons in the form of Tac Force Folder.
[ Image ]
Good luck! Let us know your experience with it - my personal preference is plain edge, but I see you have a combo.

harshit89
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshit89 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:54 am

choombak wrote:
harshit89 wrote:Finally got a best outdoors survival weapons in the form of Tac Force Folder.
[ Image ]
Good luck! Let us know your experience with it - my personal preference is plain edge, but I see you have a combo.
hello choombak,

After having this tac force folding, I just want to say that it the best folder I have come across with.
I use it for EDC and my friends really are like this piece of knife.
Further I believe that it will prove to be a tactical one tool because of its half serrated edges.

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:49 pm

I carry an EDC blade as well as a multitool. A Cold Steel Micro Recon 1 and the Leatherman Squirt PS4. Picture below
EDC.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There is no downside to Freedom!

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:03 pm

slingshot wrote:I carry an EDC blade as well as a multitool. A Cold Steel Micro Recon 1 and the Leatherman Squirt PS4. Picture below
EDC.jpg
Only a 22cal Derringer is missing in that small armoury of yours ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL
Briha

sumanngon
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sumanngon » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:51 pm

I camp most often, always helped with a full tang knife...but now most often I carry a small camp axe and a small folding saw. Both are light weight and doesnt creat extra load. Recently I experimented with a wire saw...took my energy away. However a wire saw is something that you can carry in your back pocket. A large knife can help you hack a piece of wood but consumes more energy than that done by an axe. Multi tool helps only when nothing is there...otherwise a dud.

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:03 pm

sumanngon wrote:I camp most often, always helped with a full tang knife...but now most often I carry a small camp axe and a small folding saw. Both are light weight and doesnt creat extra load. Recently I experimented with a wire saw...took my energy away. However a wire saw is something that you can carry in your back pocket. A large knife can help you hack a piece of wood but consumes more energy than that done by an axe. Multi tool helps only when nothing is there...otherwise a dud.
Interesting observation on multitools being duds. And I am curious. Even for everyday tasks, I use my multitool more than the knife. I never use my knife to remove a splinter, I use the tweezers. I never use my knife on my fishing gear. I never use my knife to clean the tread on my car tyres. I never use my knife on wires. I never use my knife on loose screws.....and many such day to day camping tasks. How do you manage?
There is no downside to Freedom!

sumanngon
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sumanngon » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:52 am

Slingshot I do use my knife on fish but not on the fishing gear as mostly I dont use a fishing rod which is a big load to carry. Never had to deal with wires in wilderness. Treads are cleared if I am driving my car to the camp sport where I keep a do keep a multitool - a basic swiss army knife in my dasboard which suffice my need. But real camping out and in real outdoors you will only end up carrying your multitool. Its till the end where you drive your car. Sometimes when my earlier china made knife broke I often did well by snapping riverbed rocks in sharp cutting tool. For toopicks...you can use your knife to make one. One small tweezer is more less space consuming than your multitool to take out splinters if you are travelling barefoot. Lol!

harshit89
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshit89 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:18 am

slingshot wrote:I carry an EDC blade as well as a multitool. A Cold Steel Micro Recon 1 and the Leatherman Squirt PS4. Picture below
EDC.jpg
That seems to be really a bunch of tools you are carrying into a single key chain. I like the way you are carry the cold steel folder and leatherman multitool which are perfect for EDC.

harshit89
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshit89 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:20 am

brihacharan wrote:
EDC.jpg
Only a 22cal Derringer is missing in that small armoury of yours ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL
Briha
Briha but I doubt that a 22cal Derringer can't find enough space for it in that bunch of tools. ROTFL