Best sharpening systems or stones

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Best sharpening systems or stones

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:06 pm

@ essdee sir .... i sharpen my knives freehand and i am ok in it. I can make my knives upto scary sharp by free hand sharpening i.e. i can cut a4 paper.
I lives in small town of U.P.and here is no one interested in knives and camping. Even i found no one in jaipur in last eight years while i was studying there. Bad luck. So i just uses my knives and axes in my 1500 sq. Ft garden on trees . Hopes will find some friends of similar interests some day
So i will try to get a medium grit stone........ thanks a lot sir.
....brave by heart, honest by nature and wicked by brain.....

For Advertising mail webmaster
Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:12 pm

........is honing compound play vital role in sharpening. If yes then where can i get it....? Any advice......
....brave by heart, honest by nature and wicked by brain.....

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:04 pm

Raghvendrasingh, lanskys great for small blades and folders. Not so great for larger knives. Its very cumbersome to use on large blades. Edge pro or a wicked edge are the finest guided sharpening systems available but are relatively expensive. Do check out some videos on convexing knives using mousepad sandpaper method.

Regards
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

anonymusneo
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by anonymusneo » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:01 pm

here are the ones i own

on left is the desi abresive stone, dont know the grits
on right side is the natural whetstone i got for 5000 , whetstone is 10000-12000 grit

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:52 am

Raghavendra, you are lucky to have a large garden! Here in Mumbai, not only are we knife carriers called as "terrorists" by our dearest friends and family, but we usually have 800 or 1000 sq. ft. flat to live, keep knives, sleep, eat, everything!! We Indians are so brainwashed that you won't find knife fans easily.

Honing compound is another thing which divides opinion. I have read, on the net, people swear BY honing, and people swear AT honing. Personally, I don't use this except for polishing stuff. You'll get it as "polishing compound" in hardware stores. Green and brown - the green one being finer, AFAIR.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:54 am

Hi Moin,

To answer your question on Edge Pro vs Wicked Edge, my personal favorite is Wicked Edge.

Both systems are great and do the job.

Its just that for my needs, whether is sharpening Japanese Kitchen Knives or my own Kit. I prefer Wicked Edge.
As I dont use the system often, the base clamp unit and the stones are much easier for me to setup, get the job done. No Need to move the knife, it stays fixed, angles are easy to setup and both sides get sharpened simultaneously.

The jury is definitely divided on which is the best system. I guess it has to a do a lot with personal choice.

Regards,
Pistolero
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:12 pm

pistolero wrote:Hi Moin,

To answer your question on Edge Pro vs Wicked Edge, my personal favorite is Wicked Edge.

Both systems are great and do the job.

Its just that for my needs, whether is sharpening Japanese Kitchen Knives or my own Kit. I prefer Wicked Edge.
As I dont use the system often, the base clamp unit and the stones are much easier for me to setup, get the job done. No Need to move the knife, it stays fixed, angles are easy to setup and both sides get sharpened simultaneously.

The jury is definitely divided on which is the best system. I guess it has to a do a lot with personal choice.

Regards,
Pistolero
Lucky you. Had wanted to invest in a high end system like edge pro or wicked edge but never quite got around doing it. Do you even have the exotic add on superfine and micro fine stones for those insane mirror polished edges. Just fascinated with how sharp can sharp get specially with the new super exotic steels.

Regards
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:03 am

Hi Moin,

I got the wicked edge early on and added the micro stones recently. Trust me the end result is something else. I sharpened my Kasumi knives.

Scary sharp is putting it mildly. I then tried out the stones on some old Chicago Cutlery knives (not exactly the best quality knives) and the results were amazing!!

Most important thing with the Wicked Edge is that it is real simple to slip into the rhythm and get that killer edge.
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

anonymusneo
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by anonymusneo » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:37 am

you can also try Gerber 31-001270 Bear Grylls Field Sharpener

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:42 pm

pistolero wrote:Hi Moin,

I got the wicked edge early on and added the micro stones recently. Trust me the end result is something else. I sharpened my Kasumi knives.

Scary sharp is putting it mildly. I then tried out the stones on some old Chicago Cutlery knives (not exactly the best quality knives) and the results were amazing!!

Most important thing with the Wicked Edge is that it is real simple to slip into the rhythm and get that killer edge.
Some day, some day... Woh subah kabhi to ayegi..m woh subah kabhi to ayegi :)will get one inshallah.

Regards
Moin.

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:44 pm

anonymusneo wrote:you can also try Gerber 31-001270 Bear Grylls Field Sharpener
Hell no... those field sharpeners r no good.
Wicked edge's the bentleys of the sharpening world, cant compare them to them gerbers :)

Regards
Moin.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:39 am

Will get the Wicked Edge the week after I buy my first Bentley!!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:45 pm

Inshallah, soon enough then dada.... :)

anonymusneo
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by anonymusneo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:32 pm

Moin. wrote:Inshallah, soon enough then dada.... :)
how much it costed you for wicked edge?

painn
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by painn » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:42 am

I found out that Grindwell Norton makes the Compass Brand (Ghadi chhaap) sharpening stones in India.

Are these "India stones" that Norton sells in the United States? I somehow get the feeling they are different things.
Also, anyone with experience using these stones on 22.5 degree edge angle knives? I am concerned that I might ruin the angle.