Best sharpening systems or stones

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Best sharpening systems or stones

Post by essdee1972 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:43 am

Painn, you run the risk of ruining / changing the angle whenever you use freehand sharpening. There are videos showing how to maintain the correct angle. One guy recommends making wedges out of wood, different wedges for different angles. You basically hold the knife and wedge together with your thumbs while stroking the edge on the stone. Some guys prefer to fold paper diagonally to get 45 degrees, then again to get 22.5.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:00 am

essdee1972 wrote:Painn, you run the risk of ruining / changing the angle whenever you use freehand sharpening. There are videos showing how to maintain the correct angle. One guy recommends making wedges out of wood, different wedges for different angles. You basically hold the knife and wedge together with your thumbs while stroking the edge on the stone. Some guys prefer to fold paper diagonally to get 45 degrees, then again to get 22.5.
Well said SD!!!
Grinding / sanding to get the right angle (not 90*) / bevel has always been a challenge.....
Only practice makes it perfect....
Briha

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:35 pm

anonymusneo wrote:
Moin. wrote:Inshallah, soon enough then dada.... :)
how much it costed you for wicked edge?
The inshallah was for Dada to get his Bentley soon :mrgreen: The Wicked Edge Prokit at Knife Centre is USD 450 or so. Adding shipping duties etc, gues the price will be shade more than INR 30k I guess. But please bear in mind, this is the best money can buy....

Regards
Moin
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

painn
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by painn » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:55 pm

Essdee- & Briha-ji
brihacharan wrote:
essdee1972 wrote:Painn, you run the risk of ruining / changing the angle whenever you use freehand sharpening. There are videos showing how to maintain the correct angle. One guy recommends making wedges out of wood, different wedges for different angles. You basically hold the knife and wedge together with your thumbs while stroking the edge on the stone. Some guys prefer to fold paper diagonally to get 45 degrees, then again to get 22.5.
Well said SD!!!
Grinding / sanding to get the right angle (not 90*) / bevel has always been a challenge.....
Only practice makes it perfect....
Briha
The wedge idea is appealing, will try and figure out how I can make/obtain one. I can see some of my son's wooden bricks being martyred towards the progress of science & technology.

painn
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by painn » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:36 pm

My short research on the sharpening stones leads me to the following:

1. Cumi Carborundum stones are widely available.

2. Norton stones (made by Grindwell Norton in India) are out there under the Compass Brand (Ghadi chhap). They also have Aluminium Oxide stones. However they are not easily available at neighbourhood hardware stores (in Bangalore).

3. One shopkeeper told me they sell JK stones. He had run out of them.

Anyone knows/heard of anything else? I'm not including the ones that must be imported from abroad.

Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:54 pm

Hey painn
Its better to try freehand sharpening on cheap kitchen knives until you learns ..... i also learned by trying on kitchen knives. You must also see some videos related to freehand sharpening . If you will practice then you can feel the angles.
According to me the exact angle doesn't matter as if you want to sharpen a knife at 22.5 degrees and you sharpens it at 24 or 25 degrees then its ok. The main thing is that is it sharp enough or not....
....brave by heart, honest by nature and wicked by brain.....

choombak
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by choombak » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:06 pm

Raghvendrasingh wrote:Hey painn
Its better to try freehand sharpening on cheap kitchen knives until you learns ..... i also learned by trying on kitchen knives. You must also see some videos related to freehand sharpening . If you will practice then you can feel the angles.
According to me the exact angle doesn't matter as if you want to sharpen a knife at 22.5 degrees and you sharpens it at 24 or 25 degrees then its ok. The main thing is that is it sharp enough or not....
You nailed it - free hand works the best, but requires practice to stabilize your hand so a consistent angle is maintained. Exact angle isn't important as stability.

Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:08 pm

Hey choombak.....
I think freehand sharpening is best. Its easy (if u learns it once) and can sharpen any shape n size of blade. No need of those expensive and complicated systems. So it rocks.......

Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:09 pm

Please tell me.....
Does lansky has manufacturers in china . ..

Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:14 pm

As i bought lansky tactical sharpening rod from grabmore.in .......i got it today.... and its made in china... http://www.grabmore.in/products/0080999 ... g-Rod.html

estousandy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by estousandy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:01 pm

Finally received the Accusharp in mail today from Collectors Heritage(Noida). This is the thing.

ImageImage

A short review over here: http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=22766
with guns we are citizens, without we are subjects

Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:15 pm

Hey estousandy . ........
easiest way to sharpen knives . ... just u have to hold sharpener perfectly . ... congrats

Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:21 pm

Hey everyone . .....
My sharpener collection contains ....
1. Smiths retractable rod
2. Smith's pocket pal 1
3. Lansky tactical sharpening rod
4. Cumi carborundum stone
5. Norton gaddi chhap oil stone
6. Sandpapers......

Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:54 pm

Hello IFGians.........
i request you all to show/tell about your knife sharpener collection . .... it may be stone, any system, rods..etc.......which one is your favorite and why??????........ please tell about knife sharpeners so that i or we all can get ideas about sharpeners used by experts and all others....

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:08 am

Gentleman for free hand sharpening you can invest in sharpening guides which are relatively inexpensive.

And as rightly pointed out by Choombak consistency is important, in the absence of a guide, try a 1 Rupee coin (the old ones or new ones) as a guide.

You can tape it to the center of the blade to get an idea of the general angle. It used to work for me, I have not done free hand in a while but back in the day this was "the best that man could get" :D

Moin I wish you all the best in your pursuit for the wicked edge.
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."