Ideal Target For a Crossbow

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
rover12
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Ideal Target For a Crossbow

Post by rover12 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:08 pm

I have a compound crossbow with a draw strength of 185 pounds. I use both carbon & aluminium arrows in 15" & 19" length and the velocity within a 100 metres is awesome that too by keeping the trajectory very very flat. If elevated the arrows are going to go 150 metres and beyond without a doubt.
The problem that I am facing is getting proper targets to shoot at... I have used layers of soft board with a quilt for additional padding and an 8mm ply board for the backdrop but even at 110 metres the arrows go clean through, most times causing damage to the arrows.
Can anyone suggest something more appropriate.

For Advertising mail webmaster
gmg
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Ideal Target For a Crossbow

Post by gmg » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:30 pm

rover12 wrote:I have a compound crossbow with a draw strength of 185 pounds. I use both carbon & aluminium arrows in 15" & 19" length and the velocity within a 100 metres is awesome that too by keeping the trajectory very very flat. If elevated the arrows are going to go 150 metres and beyond without a doubt.
The problem that I am facing is getting proper targets to shoot at... I have used layers of soft board with a quilt for additional padding and an 8mm ply board for the backdrop but even at 110 metres the arrows go clean through, most times causing damage to the arrows.
You can check out RuthIndia, http://www.ruthindiaarchery.com/ and ask them for Target buttress for compound bow, it should be a ideal target for you. Also tell them your requirement and they would definitely would be able to guide you through. Or you can visit Gsmithco, http://www.gsmithco.com/archery10.htm, they are based in Pune. Hope this helps.

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Ideal Target For a Crossbow

Post by TC » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:27 pm

Rover, you could try thick mattresses made of coconut fibre. I am not sure in how many parts of the country they are still available, thanks to the advent of synthetic. But coconut husk happens to be one of the toughest materials made by nature. So much so that the Malaysians are using it to stop 9mm bullets.

http://malaysiaflyingherald.wordpress.c ... roof-vest/

Cheers

TC

ramborider
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: RE: Ideal Target For a Crossbow

Post by ramborider » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:23 pm

rover12 wrote:I have a compound crossbow with a draw strength of 185 pounds. I use both carbon & aluminium arrows in 15" & 19" length and the velocity within a 100 metres is awesome that too by keeping the trajectory very very flat. If elevated the arrows are going to go 150 metres and beyond without a doubt.
Hello sir, this is swapnil from ratnagiri,as i am making crossbow from lraf spring,gathered things requred for it,where could i source string and fleaching for same,as now i have used steel aircraft cable but if there would be any light weight string it would be increase fps.draw weight of bow is 140lbs.

Sent from my SM-E500H using Tapatalk