Cold Steel has its manufacturer in India !!!

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
seedha.admi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Cold Steel has its manufacturer in India !!!

Post by seedha.admi » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:12 am

My bad, My bad!

I didn't actually read the whole thread. I was just so excited to see the post written by magnolia that I straight away jumped to replying. I just now went back and read the whole thread to know what happened. I may have turned spark into fire LOL....

:stupid:
There's nothing black or white in the world. There are just shades of gray.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Ramandeep
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ramandeep » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:27 am

nagarifle wrote:i do not think that they will sell real cold steel approved items to others as this will end their market with cold steel.

I double that naga no sane manufacturer himself would sell anything he is supplying to any other firm even if the knife doesn't even bears the markings.
1 shot 1 kill!

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:00 am

I don't think it's a big secret almost everyone interested in edged weapons knows of them in Dehradun especially .I will not disclose the name and respect the privacy though it really is not a secret.. The factory is open to visitors and generally sells at the current dollar rate what you would see in a cold steel or Atlanta cutlery catalog. These guys supply the US navy swords , British Gurkha khukri etc.also the weapons you see in Gladiator and LOTR are made by them. Check out.. http://www.collectorsheritage.com
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:11 am

Intact on my last visit even discussed a potential IFG knife with them...
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:58 pm

captrakshitsharma wrote: Infact on my last visit even discussed a potential IFG knife with them...
Any progress with it?
A nice EDC Boker type would be ideal for IFG members.
Keen to know the outcome :D
Briha

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:22 pm

if we are talking about this bushman below

then according to my info its made in China.

however am waiting for further info from CS delaers

got conformation that as per the pic above they are made in China.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

choombak
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by choombak » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:30 pm

@magnolia: I would recommend not posting further information, else you may jeopardize the OEM partnership of this India company (the agreements are extremely strict, and any violation results in stiff penalties - something that CS and most knife manufacturers go great lengths to protect. This ensures the OEM manufactures do not undercut the original company and sell stuff on their own, another reason why manufacture names/locations are top secret). Or create trouble for IFG as well (see below)

Based on your interaction with the CEO, it seems highly unlikely that this company is an OEM for CS (or they are planning to exit soon), but it is very much possible for them to make similar designs. Pay 780 including postage "if you are satisfied"? Why would he want to send the blade to you if he already has an happy relationship with CS as their OEM, and put it at risk? Something doesn't sound right. Again, I have part of the story, and my inference may be incorrect, but please be warned - it is dangerous territory, full of huge business risks and legal liabilities, and I feel IFG should not be involved (or rather dragged), if things go wrong.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:14 am

from what i have learnt this company does not produce bushman as per the pic above for CS.

one can easly check where each CS advertised is made, go to European outlet of CS and by law they have to say the country where they make em. same law is in Canada as well.

all the sites i checked up on they all say China. not INDIA
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:55 am

While the Bushman looks & probably feels too, good in all respects, I would rather the IFG go for a good folder - preferably an EDC.
The IFG emblem could be laser engraved on either on the blade or the handle...
BTW - S&W has a special edition offering this personalized engraving 'free of charge'...
Order at: http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-419381 ... jj54i.dpuf
Briha

Check this out :D
Personalized Smith & Wesson 1st Response Drop Point Plain Blade Pocket Knife w/Stainless Steel Handle & Clip
Knife Depot - $27.99
Free Shipping on Orders Over $119
Last edited by brihacharan on Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:58 am

You can see which product is made where by selecting the country of origin http://www2.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/coldsteel/

OceanBreeze
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by OceanBreeze » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:43 pm

Gentlemen I am new to this forum . Am very interested in collecting swords etc INCLUDING display replicas . Do any of you know of the legalities involved in the same ? Thanks

bastab12
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by bastab12 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:28 am

Windlass cutlery makes most of the big sabres and swords for Cold Steel company.
Windlass is a world renowned Indian Sword Maker since WW2.
But they do not sell any of those CS products to civilians in India. However, they do sell their own brand of bush knives and camp knives.
I believe they are based out of Dehradun.

abhrankash
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by abhrankash » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:18 pm

https://www.uddeholm.com/india/en/appli ... lications/

Their is a company named uddelholm can provide good steals for cold working now this company is being owned by Assab sripad they are having their wear houses in phase II Noida and other one in Pune any one collect steel from their but I don't think they will be willing to sell in small quantity. Their address you can find from their website

The main problem in knife is its edge chiff off here you need hi carbon, and for finish you need sillica, and do not forget to heat treat the steel in order to release the working and other stress developed during the course of manufacturing

Please donot doubt my understanding about steel I am a Toolroom professional having more than 15 yrs of experience in metal cutting and plastic mold making my writing are true to my profession.
ABHRANKASH

Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
Winston Churchill

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:06 pm

abhrankash,

Do you have the HT process for Vanadis4E and Sleipner?

Would be interested to discuss this with you.

Regards,
-P
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

abhrankash
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by abhrankash » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:13 am

Dear friend,
Vanadis 4E is a kind of knife made out of basically from D2 or D3 grade of steel these are heavy duty knifes but these are fixed blades it has got a black coat that is due to nitriding its a vacuum process in which the nitrogen is being introduced in to the furnace and it increases the strength upto 55-60HRC the penetrative action of the N2 gas is of only 0.025-0.04 mm i.e 25 -40 microns but don't worry this depth is more than sufficient but while working on edge of knife special care to be taken their should not be any scratch on body of knife and don't try to remove the black coat. It will destroy the whole look and about the Sleipner I have to ask some steel company I need some time for this about these kind of blade I am ignorant. I will let you know as soon as possible

Added in 1 hour 9 minutes 7 seconds:
Just now one steel company had visited my chair, During the discussion I just asked him about Sleipner materials he said it's just the Chinese clone of D2 materials as I am having rust on core and cavity of the Mold made in China few year before. The company is not the same who had provided the steel its a independent testing laboratory.

In D2 materials the contain of chrome is 11% to 12% but when we talk of Sleipner materials its just 7.8% what I got as a result so technically this materials are not rust proof materials and when you have less chrome then you have many problems while treating the steel. When we have the chrome to be 13% or more is used for cutlery items.

So in my opinion D2 are far far better for blade making.
ABHRANKASH

Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
Winston Churchill