Are Blow gun available/legal in India

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
hunterjack
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Are Blow gun available/legal in India

Post by hunterjack » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:22 pm

Blowgun have been around since ancient times and are still used for hunting in many Tribal regions around the world.
I just want to know whether a blowgun is available in India. But before availability i wanna are they even legal in India, If i plan to even get one or to even make one.
“Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.”
"Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish"

For Advertising mail webmaster
Ramandeep
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Are Blow gun available/legal in India

Post by Ramandeep » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:58 am

I have blowgun brought from US long back say around 16 years or so at that time I think there was no problem with the customs as far as legality goes I am clueless about it would definitely like to know if there is any status defined for blowguns in the law. Is it allowed by courier from a foreign land.

Raman
1 shot 1 kill!

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:11 pm

Tiny blowgun available in Decathlon for INR 999. Bought one for the kiddo yesterday. With the supplied plastic darts, you would really need to be (un)lucky to hurt someone. I am waiting for Jr. to get bored of the blowgun a bit, then I start experiments...........

Usually, the blowguns were used with poisoned darts and didn't kill by sheer penetrating power.

If anyone is in Andamans, I have heard you can get blowguns (not sure though). The Jarwas and Onges still use them.

By the way, for Mumbai UA people, Decathlon Thane has started keeping bows and arrows. Starts about INR 2.5 K and goes up to 10 K for a bow, arrows are 250 - 500.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:28 pm

a plastic tubing or allum tubing would do just as fine. try any hardware duckan
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:55 pm

Aaah, Naga! You have taken me back to my days of misguided youth, when using a length of aluminium tubing and a few pins with cotton buds attached behind them, I terrorised the neighborhood!! (Actually, I fired only a few, hit an Uncle type of guy on the head, quite by accident, who complained to my Dad, who in turn ensured that the Al tube got bent out of shape by repeated application to my rear end!!)
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:59 pm

if you think about it thats what the jungle bunnies used as smooth pipe. made from two piece wood hollowed and joined and smoothed down with pushing sand through it.

all one needs these days to a bit of rifleing and you have amazing pricker.lol
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

hunterjack
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by hunterjack » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:19 pm

Thanks guys for the replies. I was planing to build my own blowgun and darts.
@essdee1972 can you provide me with exact location of decathlon. Wanted to check out the bows. Its in thane right. Any nearby landmark would be good

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:02 pm

Hunterjack, Decathlon is in Thane, Ghodbunder Road, on the first floor above Hypercity. On the right as you move from Mumbai to Ghodbunder.
Cheers!

EssDee

hunterjack
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by hunterjack » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:10 pm

@essdee1972 thanks for the address.
Update: I bought a PVC pipe 4ft long and built some darts out of nails and duct tape.
Cons: the PVC pipe tends to bend a bit due to its flexible nature.
Planing to get a steel pipe now.

jaffarsathiq
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by jaffarsathiq » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:39 pm

Hi all i have two 165 cm traditional wooden blow guns ...... i am using clay pellets .........shooting accuracy better then airguns