Indian Edged Weapons in the Prince of Wales Museum

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
harshit89
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Indian Edged Weapons in the Prince of Wales Museum

Post by harshit89 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:05 am

Moin. wrote:Gents, had some time to kill last week with all the Holi and Good Friday Holidays. What better way to kill time than admire the collection of Arms and Armour in the Prince of Wales Museum, now known as Chattrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sanghrahalaya.

The collection is pretty small compared to the likes of Salarjung Museum in Hyderabad. There are some rare gems like the swords and armour belonging to Emperor Akbar, Shahjahan and Aurangzeb.
The entry fees to the museum is INR 60 with an additional INR 20 for permission to take photographs in the museum. I spent the entire day ogling at the arms and armour section only and returned. All the photographs are taken with a cell phone, so pardon the lack of sharpness or colour rendition. Luckily my mother can read Arabic and Farsi ( Persian). I had her decipher for me the engravings and the cartouches on the swords and Kataars. There is a sword which belongs to Emperor Aurangzeb in the display with a whole lot of other swords without any identification plaque. I don’t think the museum authorities are aware of this and the swords value !! The name of Emepror Aurangzeb is engraved on a small cartouche on the sword.

__________________________________________________________________________________

This is how the beautiful building looks like

[ Image ]

There is a small display of jade handled daggers on the ground floor

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

Here’s the Display Panel

[ Image ]

Here’s a Khanda Sword belonging to Sultan Alaudin Khilji

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alauddin_Khilji

[ Image ]

One interesting thing to note is the inscription of most of the Indo-Persian Blades including the arms belonging to Emepror Akbar, Shahjahan and Aurangzeb is from Holy Quran -Surah Saaf verse 13:
Nasrul Minallah Wa Fatahun Qareeb
Meaning:
It's arabic : نَصْرٌ مِّن اللَّهِ وَفَتْحٌ قَرِيبٌ
In english: " Nasrun min Allahi, wa fat'hun kareeb"
Its translation: "help from Allah and a near victory"

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]
Really a nice collection of Indian Edged Weapons.
Keep knives in your pocket and pray that you will never need it

For Advertising mail webmaster
Abhi J
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Abhi J » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:19 pm

Great thread, Moin! I remember this stuff from my school day visits to the museum. Going to make it a point to visit again soon, hoping this section is still intact. :)

dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dsingh » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:13 pm

THE ONE OF SWORD IS kati sword which has unique property it is tilted oposite and like Khukri struck with oposite side very lethal blow it can deal.One of sword is called Alamgir sword or Goliya sword it is yhin made with more than one piece of metal highest speed sword round in shape .Aurangzeb had mastery over its use.It has rarest properties and is called mysterious sword.Other is shamshir Arabian shaped like falcon paw or lion paw 5/15 shape.