Sikh Arms & Armour

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Sikh Arms & Armour

Post by pistolero » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:10 pm

Hi Moin,

On the Wresting Pic, its the cover of a DVD I have, you can get it from Amazon.

I dont know if those clubs, were actually used, but I have seen similar sized clubs in Akhadas in UP & Bihar.

Myth has it that Gama Pehelwan could rub a coin with his thumb and he could take away the etching from the coin, Myth in UP also has it that there was a Pehelwan, who stopped a Train with him hands :D (What do I say about Myth's man! Its like the X-Files, I wanna believe :D !)

Damn! OT again :mrgreen:

Talwar's here I come!
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:02 am

Wish you could find them, Whoever made this spear out of a stag antler.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:21 am

hammerhead

This is a n amazing photo --

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:29 pm

Hammerhead wrote:Wish you could find them, Whoever made this spear out of a stag antler.

[ Image ]
Pa'aji where did you get this pic from. The Strainght bladed sword on the left has a typical South India Hilt, on the lower side of the pic is a Nepalese kora Sword.

Best
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:17 pm

The Antler spear looks to be a part of Maru/Madu

This weapon was Truly Unique to India, The madu or maru was a small fist-shield mounted upon a pair of buck horns with steel tips. It was primarily for parrying, and in some instances a pair of nagini (wavy) blades replaced the horns. The shields were of steel, chiselled and gilt, with four small bosses. Pairs of horns were also used as is being held togeter back to back, without a shield, for the same purpose. Their use was mainly confined to northern and central India.

The Maratha's are also known to have used this weapon, and used to refer to it as 'Bhid Cheer' literally meaning tearing apart the crowd :D

liljake82
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by liljake82 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:24 pm

pistolero wrote: [ Image ]
Wow, this one is absolutely gorgeous!
Nemo me impune lacessit

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:38 pm

If you like that you will love these: :D

OT Again! :mrgreen:

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:49 pm

Ok Finally we are moving onto the Talwar!!

The Talwar is the quintessential Indian Sword and the word Talwar is synonymous with the Sword in India. The Talwar's closest relative would be Pouluar, and at present we refer to all curved swords as Talwars, any Indo-Persian blade, which is fitted with an Indian Hilt (Disc shape with spike) is also called a Talwar, however the Talwar in its current form in actually and evolved sword and it would be incorrect to refer to all such swords as the Talwar.

The Talwar is a slashing AND thrusting weapon, whereas the curved swords, such as the Persian Shamshir, arabic saif, turkish killij were primarily designed as slashing weapons. The 'drawing cut' was a unique feature of these weapons.

The Talwar, however retaining its curve, has the right geometry for a thrust weapon as well, the disc hilt, provides a grip, which not only complements the 'drawing cut' but also the 'thrust'. This complemented its use for both the Infantry & Cavalry and saw wide spread incorporation across ranks. Foot Soldiers to Kings, were all carrying Talwars! as in one on one combat it was an ideal weapon.

The Nihang's were known to carry 2 swords, with them at all times (apart from the khanda) and were expert in using them 2 handed or with the Dhal/Pesh Kabz combination.

The Talwar has proved its merit on the battle field time and again, and was even adopted by the British. The Dragoon Guards, carried curved swords, which was very much a Talwar! apart from this several British Officers, had custom made swords, fitted with Indian hilts, owing to its greater advantage in battle. I wonder if you have every noticed this, but there are several swords from the 1800-1900 period, which are longer in length than normal Talwars (Not the Firangi's) this is due to the fact that these Talwars were made for the Firangi's! and not for Desi's :D

The Talwar down the the hilt was very well thought out weapon, and blade smiths and warriors continued to evolve it over a period of several years. Hindi Movies have left us with an impression in our minds, that the Talwar was meant for use as a "metal on metal" contact weapon, that is using Talwars like sticks! Well this absolutely did not happen in the actual combat. Metal and Metal contact was restrictive, the Sword impacted the shield or armour, or actual got a positive hit!

The idea IMHO was to wait for your attacker to commit his strike and then outmaneuver to get your own strike in, weapon on weapon contact was not the norm.

---Need to head out will post more shortly---

Look forward to hearing from you all...

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:01 am

pistolero

I didnt read this thread properly amazing information and pictures..I do have a book on swords and knives and will post pictures of various Indian weapons Marathas, Sikhs etc..I guess this industry also died away..unless some of them are being made in Rajasthan etc

Best

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:36 pm

Dear N Grewal,

Many thanks for your kind words :D

Look forward to seeing the Pics you post.

Regards,
Pistolero

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:16 pm

Talwar

Shamshir

Puluor

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:29 pm

Puluor/Pulwar

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:37 pm

Firangi Khanda Hilt (slightly OT)

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:29 pm

pistolero- Pictures are simply fabulous. Browsing this thread is akin to visiting a museum ! Thank you so much for the effort.

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:40 pm

Dear Airgun Novice,

The whole idea of this thread was to put together a definitive list of arms and armour for all enthusiast and collectors in the field. Im glad you like it :D

Will try and post more, keep looking in, you never know what else we have collectively been able to add :)

Regards,
Pistolero