Sikh Arms & Armour

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Sikh Arms & Armour

Post by pistolero » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:12 pm

Hello All,

I was reading Moin's post on Knives in Movies, wherein he mentioned, Sikh Arms and Armour. Which got me to start this thread, Im hoping that with the wealth of knowledge on this Forum, we will be able to have great discussion on this fascinating subject.

The Sikhs from the times of their sixth spiritual leader, Guru Hargobind, who first took up arms against an oppressive Mughal Empire in the early 17th century, to their contribution in the World Wars, Indo Pak & Indo China wars have left us all with a distinctive image of the Sikh as a warrior par excellence. This image has endured for nearly four centuries.

But what exactly can be said about the uniqueness of "Sikh arms and armour" ?

IMHO till date there is no definite work on Subject, and references for their "type" of arms and armour usually fall under Indo-Persian arms.

We are all aware of the Khanda, Soti, Kirpan, Talwar, Pattissa, Chakram, Gurj, Farri, Katar, Lathi, Patta, etc etc..however all these weapons were common across Warriors from Northern & Western India.

To my mind the Truly Unique Weapon was the Sikh Warrior himself :D , & His Chakram!!

In my search for a Book on the topic, I came across the Presentation from Mr. Davinder Singh Toor "In Praise of Steel" Understanding Sikh Arms and Armour. In this presentation Mr. Toor has in IMHO provided a brilliant account on the Origins, Practises & Application of Sikh Arms & Armour.
Luckily it has been captured on You Tube for all to see

I was in touch with Mr. Toor on some Talwars in my possesion, as I did not quiet understand the relationship, in the Cartouche and Symbols on them, which were both in Gurumukhi & had images of the Goddess Kali. Things were a lot clear after this presentation.

Fair Warning, the presentation can prove to be pretty Radical to some,and it is not my objective to stir any passion on Religion or Origin, but to enhance our collective knowledge on Edged Weapons.

I look forward to hearing from you all :)

Regards,
Adi
Last edited by pistolero on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

For Advertising mail webmaster
airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Sikh Arms & Armour

Post by airgun_novice » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:59 pm

Thank you for the informative video link, pistolero. :-)

dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dsingh » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:00 pm

I have seen a hugh Tegha in Damdama Saheb which has lines from Islamic texts this was presented to Tenth Master Guru Gobind Singh ji by unknown muslim devotee, Similarily in Keshgarh Saheb I come accross 2 surprise swords of Guru Gobind Singh ji one is a Katana Sword origin unknown second is big Saif Sword belonging to Ali Son in law of Prophet Mohammad saheb presented by Bhadur Shah to Guru ji.The tegha of Damdama saheb in possession of Bhai Dalla family is extraordinary big another surprise item bloodstained shirt of Guru ji and Chakram .In Mandi gobind garh Khanda of Sixth Guru Hargobind is very hugh.If there is writing or pics of any god is not issuse main issuse is spirit of devotee even he or she belongs to any caste or religion .In the arms manufactured by Guru ji own ordance in swords or guns word Akal Sahai are always written.In Mandi Gurdwara I have seen the 7 feet long gun of Guru Gobind Singh ji when I was in teens long back .Many guns belonging medival period can be seen in Paonta Saheb Gurdwara.
One surprise weapon is single convertible Katar into three in Hazur Saheb one medium size sword belonging to Guruji period is in possession of our family .You can come accross Zamboorah a highly lethal shoulder gun which was the invention of Babur but sikhs and afhans were perfect expert in this gun later britishers adopted this gun which remained in use till early part of 20th century.

Tango_ Charli
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Tango_ Charli » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:14 am

pistolero wrote:Hello All,

I was reading Moin's post on Knives in Movies, wherein he mentioned, Sikh Arms and Armour. Which got me to start this thread, Im hoping that with the wealth of knowledge on this Forum, we will be able to have great discussion on this fascinating subject.

The Sikhs from the times of their sixth spiritual leader, Guru Hargobind, who first took up arms against an oppressive Mughal Empire in the early 17th century, to their contribution in the World Wars, Indo Pak & Indo China wars have left us all with a distinctive image of the Sikh as a warrior par excellence. This image has endured for nearly four centuries.

But what exactly can be said about the uniqueness of "Sikh arms and armour" ?

IMHO till date there is no definite work on Subject, and references for their "type" of arms and armour usually fall under Indo-Persian arms.

We are all aware of the Khanda, Soti, Kirpan, Talwar, Pattissa, Chakram, Gurj, Farri, Katar, Lathi, Patta, etc etc..however all these weapons were common across Warriors from Northern & Western India.

To my mind the Truly Unique Weapon was the Sikh Warrior himself :D , & His Chakram!!

In my search for a Book on the topic, I came across the Presentation from Mr. Davinder Singh Toor "In Praise of Steel" Understanding Sikh Arms and Armour. In this presentation Mr. Toor has in IMHO provided a brilliant account on the Origins, Practises & Application of Sikh Arms & Armour.
Luckily it has been captured on You Tube for all to see

I was in touch with Mr. Toor on some Talwars in my possesion, as I did not quiet understand the relationship, in the Cartouche and Symbols on them, which were both in Gurumukhi & had images of the Goddess Kali. Things were a lot clear after this presentation.

Fair Warning, the presentation can prove to be pretty Radical to some,and it is not my objective to stir any passion on Religion or Origin, but to enhance our collective knowledge on Edged Weapons.

I look forward to hearing from you all :)

Regards,
Adi
Thanks For informative video link.
Singh is King

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:47 am

Gentleman,

Im glad you like the link. Dr. Toor has indeed done a fantastic job!

DSingh, thanks for the inputs on the specific Teghas & Other edged weapons and Guns of Guru Gobind Singh, if possible do you think you could post the photo of Guruji's Talwar which is in possession of your family?

Also do you have any photos of the Swords & Guns you mentioned in your post? It would be great to have a look and study them!!

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Regards,
Adi

pankajbanjara
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by pankajbanjara » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:17 am

i always visit HUZUR SAHAB at nanded since my native place itself is nearby , it is normal amongst us banjara community to convert to sikhism , when ever i am at HUZUR SAHAB i always sit inside the gurudwara for a while have a proper look at all the weapons kept all around the GURUji's samadhi ,, it becomes a special day instantenously , it has been the same deep feeling since last 28 years ,, WAHE GURUJI DA KHALSA WAHE GURUJI DI FATEH
WGKWGF

kalashnikovcult
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by kalashnikovcult » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:40 pm

thats great to know pankaj, i too visit Hazoor sahib specially on dushera
cu kar az hama hilate dar guzasht
halal ast burdan ba shamshir dast.

When all other means have failed,it is righteous to draw the sword

-- Guru Gobind Singhji Maharaj

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:10 pm

Dear All,

Some more interesting Videos on the Actual Weapons of the Guru's

Will post more photos & videos soon!

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:25 pm

The Asht Bhuja Duja, Battle Standard for Shri Guru Gobind Singh

Assortment of Weapons

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:28 pm

Excellent post Pistelero, thanks for the pics. Any reading material will be much appreciated. I can't run youtube, my net connection's so slow a two minute video takes 1 hour to buffer and play.....

Regards
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:12 pm

Dear Moin,

Dr. Toor I believe, has still not released his book, however im Sure there are several reference in Lord Egerton's book which is easily accessible.

Also if you can get a copy of British Sword Fighting by DA Kinsley, the section "Sword Fighters of British India" will give you remarkable insight not only to Sikh, but Rapjut, JAT & Other warriors of the time.

However take the time to see Dr. Toor's presentation on You Tube if you can, for an enthusiast like you it will be a treat IMHO.

There is one more book on the subject, however it is mired in controversy, Sikhs of Huzoor Sahib, by Nidar Singh Nihang, which also has some excellent references for Sikh Arms and Armour.

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:35 pm

The massive turban is a rare example known of a dastaar boonga, meaning ‘towering fortress’. This type of turban was, and continues to be, worn by a group of Sikh warriors called Akali Nihangs. The turban was effective in protecting the head from sword blows, especially when adorned with Chakrams, Small Daggers, Bagh Nakh, and held together by Steel Wire. When the Warrior was in close quarters combat, the turban itself was a deterrent to his opponent, the Ultra Sharp Ensemble would nick and injure the opponent and incase the warrior lost a weapon, he could reach close to his head and get another, also he could hold his opponent and use his turban to inflict damage.

More so the turban, was extremely effective "helmet" in DA Kinsley's book you can read accounts, where during Cavalry Charge, the Nihangs, would lie down low on their horses, and let the British Pass, who would use Normal Dragoon Blades, which would not remain sharp in the Steel Scabbard, the Cavalry would pass and get a few hits on the head, with little or no damage, the Sikh Cavalry, would then be upon the British Cavalry with their super sharp swords, which in the words of the "narrator" could split a hair in 2!

The Turban can be viewed at the British Museum.

Next Up the small arms carried in person

You will notice several Khukri type blades, but with Indian Hilts, which were modified by the Sikhs to become their very own version of the Khukri

Followed by a Collection of Weapons of the Infantry:

More Weapons

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:52 pm

Following are some images from various sources in the Public Domain, I would once again like to thank all of them for helping me together this small Glossary on Sikh Arms and Armour

Akali Nihang Warrior

Nihangs in Battle Gear

Another Exapmple of Dastaar Boonga

Old Nihang Painting

Nidar Singh With His Weapons!
(I believe this one has been posted earlier, nonetheless!)

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:28 pm

Paintings of Nihang Warriors
Notice the similarity in the Painting above, to Nidar Singh Nihangs Photo: :)
1) The Unique Turban
2) Chakrams Around the Neck
3) Tabar
4) Talwar
5) Powder Flask
6) Toradar
7) Katar
8) Pesh Kabz
9) Chain Mail & Char Aina
10) Shoes with Nail
Basically a One Man Army :)

Nihang Warrior with banner walking ahead of the Guru's Horse