Sikh Arms & Armour

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Sikh Arms & Armour

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:28 pm

Regarding the image of weight lifting euipments. May be big brother of one of these guys was using those :mrgreen:
photo.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

For Advertising mail webmaster
pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:46 pm

Hi Kanwar76,

Could be!! :mrgreen:

Would have loved to see someone using those clubs :mrgreen:

Thanks for the Pix, look forward to your contributions to this thread.

Regards,
Pistolero
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:08 pm

For the Final Section on the Arms and Armour of the Sikh Warrior we shall be covering the Tir & Kaman, I shall not be going into the Percussion Rifles on this thread. Hopefully soon I will be post on that in the Rifles section.

In the meanwhile, I would like to reach out to all the Archery Fans out there to help me with this thread, as this is an area of Weapons where im not well versed.

Contributions from you all will be highly appreciated, the meanwhile, at the risk of going OT Im posting some images of another era :D hopefully you all will like it :D

The Indian Room at the Buckingham Palace, all those white chairs are "said" to be made of Ivory

English Field Commander Roberts with his Sikh Guards

Painting of Maharaja Sher Singh holding a Khanda

Holkar Maharaj

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:12 am

Adding to Kanwars point Check these gabroos of 2 Punjab Forntier force 1890

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:01 pm

The Guy on the left seems to be holding a very heavy club, if he can use that, Im sure there would be people around who could use the bigger clubs :D

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:56 pm

ngrewal wrote:Adding to Kanwars point Check these gabroos of 2 Punjab Forntier force 1890
Whoa.. Now thats a Mugdar.

And peopke cast doubts on Baba Deep Singh's Khanda :roll:
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

James_Bond
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by James_Bond » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:16 pm

Singh is KIng my dear. Singh and RAjput are the Warrior. They are the Marshal Communties. They live for honour and die for honour.
With Regards
CODE NAME BOND, JAMES BOND LICENSE TO RKBA

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:42 pm

Another Old Photo:

Rana of Jhalwar with his Entourage (Rana ji is in the center in white :D )

Ardh Chand

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:45 pm

Hi There!

As the last section on the Arms and Armour section is on Archery! I would like to request all the Archery aficionados out there to please provide us with some highlights on Indian Archery!

Look forward to your participation and comments on this section.

The Only other obvious weapon I have left out is the Lathi/Salotar Yudh.. again not an area of expertise, but Im sure there will be many in our Forum who can contribute to this section.

I do have some excellent videos on Salotar Yudh which I will post soon!

---Till the next time---

Pistolero

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:51 am

James_Bond wrote:Singh is KIng my dear. Singh and RAjput are the Warrior. They are the Marshal Communties. They live for honour and die for honour.
James this is a macho statement - Martial races was some thing british came up with to recruit cannon fodder ...you forgot the marathas, Nairs, folks from east etc..bottom line communities stand up and fight for their rights whenever they are subjected to tyranny its a basic animal instinct we all possess naturally..rest all is hogwash..

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:51 am

ngrewal wrote:
James_Bond wrote:Singh is KIng my dear. Singh and RAjput are the Warrior. They are the Marshal Communties. They live for honour and die for honour.
James this is a macho statement - Martial races was some thing british came up with to recruit cannon fodder ...you forgot the marathas, Nairs, folks from east etc..bottom line communities stand up and fight for their rights whenever they are subjected to tyranny its a basic animal instinct we all possess naturally..rest all is hogwash..
I would add 'chauvinistic','inane' and 'ignorant' to 'macho'.Bond sahib,about the only sensible post you have made so far has been about the price of IOF 30-06 rifle in Punjab

ngrewal,Indian troops were not exactly canon fodder post the Crowns take over of Indian territories but they were paid less, received fewer facilities as compared to English troops and were armed with outdated firearms .The words 'Divide and Rule' comes to the mind more readily than 'canon fodder' when some one talks of martial races. That said,during the EIC's campaigns in India,the Indian troops were generally placed in a more vulnerable positions vis-a vis English troops.

Nihangsingh
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Nihangsingh » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:13 pm

My best regards pistolero,

i have been reading all the posts of this topic and have thanked you in some of them. believe me it has been the best informative topic with best of the best posts and contributions from you and various members that i have come across in IFG.
i donot know from where you have procured such a vast knowledge of Sikh Arms & Armour, but it was all very interesting and educative. i wish to thank you again for making this contribution.hope to see some more good stuff from you.

thanks and regards.
"Teero, Tufango, Bado Raam Jango, Dhamakhdhaar Aniaar, Kamand Korrha, Panj Shaster Parvaan"

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:18 pm

Dear Nihang Singh,

I thank you for your kind words.

Arms & Armour have been a life long passion, and it is such a vast subject, that we have just touched the tip of the iceberg :) in this post.

I hope to continue learning and am looking forward to contributions from the forum.

I do plan to post further on this thread, however owing to pressing commitments at work, I have been unable to do so.

The next post will most probably be on the Dhal.

Keep checking in....

Regards,
Pistolero

Nihangsingh
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Nihangsingh » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:36 pm

pistolero wrote:Dear Nihang Singh,

I thank you for your kind words.

Arms & Armour have been a life long passion, and it is such a vast subject, that we have just touched the tip of the iceberg :) in this post.

I hope to continue learning and am looking forward to contributions from the forum.

I do plan to post further on this thread, however owing to pressing commitments at work, I have been unable to do so.

The next post will most probably be on the Dhal.

Keep checking in....

Regards,
Pistolero
Brother even i have a natural attraction for arms. thanks for your reply. I am anxiously waiting for your post on DHAL. keep up the good work.
regards.
"Teero, Tufango, Bado Raam Jango, Dhamakhdhaar Aniaar, Kamand Korrha, Panj Shaster Parvaan"

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:49 pm

Dear All,

Im hoping to revive this discussion, I have been so caught up in work of late, that I have not been able to write. As was the original plan, Im starting out on the Dhal.

Please do provide your inputs, do post Photo's so that we can discuss the Dhal .

Regards,
Pistolero