Sikh Arms & Armour

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Sikh Arms & Armour

Post by Sakobav » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:47 pm

James_Bond wrote:Singh is KIng my dear. Singh and RAjput are the Warrior. They are the Marshal Communties. They live for honour and die for honour.
Really ??Martial not marshal concept has been used as cannon fodder term .....its all dictated by circumstances when communities stand up for their rights. Who thought Jews could fight or Tamils in Sri Lanka who were always ridiculed..

For Advertising mail webmaster
pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:26 am

The Indian Shield as we know from Popular culture is Round in shape and has Four Bosess in the center is secured at the back by means of a leather strips or metal. The circular shields were of varying sizes and were made from a multitude of material such as Metal, Hide, Wood, Bamboo, Precious Metals etc.

Shields made from Rhino Skin were a very a typical Indian weapon, and the "Dhabdar's" of Western & Northern India were especially skilled in making them. Dhabdar's are a sub-caste of Sikligars and were primarily shield makers.

Shields have been used in India as a defense for thousands of years and is an integral part of ensemble of the Indian Warrior and later the Sikh Warrior. Shield was referred to as "Charman or Tala" in the Ramayan and Mahabharat proves its existence since then.

(Will be back with more!! need to step out)
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

Nihangsingh
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Nihangsingh » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:23 pm

pistolero wrote:Puluor/Pulwar

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]
Dear Pistolero,

I have heard Tulwar,Khanda,Kati(sosun patta),Golia. but I have never heard the about Puluor/Pulwar. Is there any basic difference b/w these and Tulwars regarding use or make or is it just another name given to Tulwars?
"Teero, Tufango, Bado Raam Jango, Dhamakhdhaar Aniaar, Kamand Korrha, Panj Shaster Parvaan"

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:34 pm

Sikhs possessed not only edged arms but also the latest firearms of the time when they were sovereign.

Following is the image of canon possessed by Sikhs when they were politically sovereign before they slid into continuous slavery from 1849 onwards.
Above image is being published after due permission from Tahir Iqbal from Punjab in Pakistan. His more images from that period can be viewed in the following link
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:30 pm

This is an example of the canons / muskets used from camel backs in those times. The saddle is seen below the canon.

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:39 pm

Rajat wrote:This is an example of the canons / muskets used from camel backs in those times. The saddle is seen below the canon.
:mrgreen: look who's back. Grand Master Yoda of the Sharpest Section of IFG :mrgreen:
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:36 am

Well!!

Thank you all for reviving the post! I never did get around to finishing it!

I believe Rajat is absolutely correct about the mounted canon. I have seen examples of this mounted canon in the Middle East as well.

The Sikh Infantry was famous for their skills with the Toradar. Extremely accurate! and gave justice to the saying one shot one kill, long before snipers took the copyright on it.

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:50 am

Moin. wrote: :mrgreen: look who's back :mrgreen:
Hi buddy! I frequently visit the forum and go through most of your posts! :wink:

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:10 am

Very interesting post pistolero - tons of great and fascinating information - enjoyed it. :D

Here is a rather long video about the Mughals, where the origins of a lot of the weapons in this post are described. Some them recreated in modern times and their efficacy tested - very, very interesting!

Katars (Rajput), Mughal Swords, Armour Plate, Chain Mail, Tanks (Akabar's Armoured Elephant) Recurved Bow (Babur), Matchlocks (Ibrahim Lodi), Cannon (20' barrel with a 15 mile range! The first ever IOF?? :wink: ) and even Tipu Sultan's Rockets! :shock:

:cheers:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:56 pm

Dear ckkalyan,

Glad you liked the thread, I was reviewing it last night and it does make for a good introduction to Indo-Persian arms and armour :)

I loved the video you posted. Thank You.

Do keep posting on this thread.

Regards,
Pistolero

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:05 pm

Rajat wrote:This is an example of the canons / muskets used from camel backs in those times. The saddle is seen below the canon.
Yes these kind of light canons were a kind of modern innovation of those times. They could be rapidly moved and deployed wherever needed in the battle field. These kind of canons were used with devastating effect against the Marhathas by Ahmad Shah Abdali during the Third Battle of Panipat in 1761.

The legendary Zamzama gun, also known as Bhangian di ToapImage
The gun has tumultuous history. Two similar guns were cast in Lahore around 1757 by gunsmith Shah Nazir under the orders of Shah Wali Khan, the prime minister of the Afghan ruler Ahmad Shah Abdali. This gun remains and the other one appears to have been lost somewhere. It is said that the gun was made from brass utensils collected as tax from the residents of Lahore.

The gun was used by Ahmad Shah Abdali against the Marhathas in Third Battle of Panipat(1761).

The gun was captured along with other guns, arms and ammunition by Sikhs led by Hari Singh Bhangi in 1762, when he seized the Afghan arsenal in Lahore. Afterwards Lehna Singh and Gujjar Singh Bhangi got hold of it and they gave it to Charat Singh Shukerchakia as his share in the spoils.

From Charat Singh, Zamzama was snatched by the Chathas(a Punjabi Jat tribe) who took it to Ahmadnagar. After fight for the gun between brothers, the gun was restored to Gujjar Singh Bhangi.

After two years, the gun was snatched by Charat Singh Shukerchakia from whom it was once again snatched by the Afghans.

The very next year, Jhanda Singh Bhangi defeated the Afghans and brought the gun to Amritsar. In 1802, Sikh emperor Ranjit Singh defeated the Bhangis and captured the gun. He used it in the battles of Daska, Kasur, Sujanpur, Wazirabad and Multan. In the siege of Multan, the gun was badly damaged and decommissioned from service.

After the defeat of Sikhs in Anglo Sikh Wars, the gun came under possession of British. When British left in 1947, the gun came in possession of Pakistan. In future, the gun will come in whose possession, only the destiny knows :)
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:31 am

Dear Goodboy Mentor,

Thank You for the amazing insight into the history of the canon!!

Regards,
P

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:04 pm

Dear Pistolero;

Sorry for going OT, but some good stuff on this link.

http://shastardhari.com/

Regards
Moin
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:52 pm

Hi Moin,

Not OT at all!

Very relevant!!

Love the site!!!!! Its great to know that there are so many like minded people out there.

Regards,
P

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:44 am

In keeping with our earlier discussion on this thread about the camel mounted canon, I came across this interesting video.

It not only shows the canon but also delves into the Chakkar, Urumi and Changragupta's booby traps!!

Regards,
P