Balisong or Butterfly knives

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Re: Balisong or Butterfly knives

Post by Moin. » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:40 pm

Skyman wrote:What is the most vfm? esee?
Beckers.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

For Advertising mail webmaster
choombak
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by choombak » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:09 am

Moin. wrote:
Skyman wrote:Are benchmade knives worth the money?
Yes more than any production knife in that price range and category. IMHO better build quality than Spydercos.
I will contest your comment on Spydercos. ;-) IMO, both tack equal in terms of build quality.

Actually, BM are slightly expensive than Spyderco, assuming all things equal (blade steel, fit and finish, size, scale type). While BM uses the AXIS lock primarily, Spyderco uses the frame or liner lock. Don't be fooled -- all three locks from THESE manufacturers are equal in strength. IMO, BM factors the warranty expenses in the initial cost, while Spyderco probably does not - experience suggests BM does a lot of work on warranty (sharpening, changing spacers, washers, centering, importantly clips), while Spyderco charges for these things.

choombak
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by choombak » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:17 am

supershaji wrote: Better late than never to reply, appreciate it.

The silver balisong has broken in 2 and a half pieces already.

The "benchmade" is still going strong.

I really intend on getting a good one, but knifecenter doesn't list them anymore I think (and even if they did, the extra shipping costs hurt the feeling of my beloved pocket), and there's no reliable place which I know of here in India to buy from. Everybody I know who're returning from the US is too chicken to carry a knife along, ordered a trainer from amazon & had it delivered to my US citizen cousin who was coming to India, and he dumped it coz it had "knife" written on the toy.

Paranoid people, the Yemricans, sigh.
Actually not - Americans largely are not paranoid as the media makes them out to be. Its a typical politician ploy to siphon funds from critical things (education, health care, elder care) in the name of war. Its probably your cousin - some folks worry more than the actual risk. My HR director once got me 3 large folders in his baggage happily, while I have had people pop out their eyes upon mention of a knife. Next time, try saying its cutlery to be used in kitchen - maybe more acceptable.

As for balisong, there is a problem with the law here - they are not legal in CA for public carry. The seller cannot be located in CA as well. But one can possess it privately, and purchase it legally from sellers outside CA, and enjoy it in private @home. That's the law. ;-) Next time I am going to try bringing a balisong back to India to see if it works (I suspect trouble with Indian customs than the US). Let's see.

I'd say keep an eye on http://www.bladeforums.com/ "For sale by Individuals" section. Stuff comes up pretty frequently at lovely prices. You can have it shipped to me in the US (or let me know and I'll purchase it for you), and I can then USPS it your way. I know the methods, and I more or less guarantee it shall reach you fit and fine - so far no incident. Pay me via paypal. Except balisongs.

manvith
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by manvith » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:32 am

guys can anyone tell me where can I buy one in Hyderabad...?

Dima
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Dima » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:57 pm

Hi,

You can try to find this on http://www.knife-republic.com