Customs duty on bows?

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Customs duty on bows?

Post by Yaj » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:30 pm

Does anyone know the customs duty that would apply to a bow imported into India? I have been wanting to get a decent recurve for some time now.
Regards,
Yaj.
The more people I meet,the more i like my dog!

For Advertising mail webmaster
Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Customs duty on bows?

Post by Big Daddy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:53 pm

A friend of mine got it in but was not taxed. Could have been a slip though.

BD

Just saw one in the sales section. Nagarifle is selling one.
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

marthandan
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by marthandan » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:13 pm

i remember paying around INR 8000 for a purchase of INR 70k. so, its around 12%. (its been a few years, dont remember the exact amounts). hope that helps.
marthandan

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:54 pm

Thanks guys. 12 % is pretty reasonable , i hope things haven't changed :)
Regards,
Yaj.

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by archer » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:52 am

I have carried a few in personal baggage without any issues. I wasnt charged any duty.
When I got my compound bow by post, I paid 12% duty.

Thanks

Parag
Yeh dil maange more.....!!!

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:50 am

which one, would you recommend for beginner

Yaj which one you got?
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by archer » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:19 am

For a recurve bow, you could try the internature recurve bows with a draw weight of 20-25lbs and a draw length of 24inches. They are relatively cheap but very sturdy bows. The advantage is, they are take down bows so transportation is not a hassle.

Arrows: Try the easton jazz. They go well with the internature recurve bows.
try this
http://www.arizonaarchery.com/archery_main.php

Thanks
Parag

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:42 am

Thanks Parag, i plan to get it by post.
I was thinking of going for a Predator Hunter recurve, it seems to have nothing but good reviews. What arrows would be suitable for a draw weight of about 55-60# ?
Regards,
Yaj.

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by archer » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:54 pm

Hi Yaj,

I think arrows with an arrow length of 2-3 inches greater than your draw length should work for you.
If you are planning to get a bow with a draw weight of 55-60lbs, do get arrows with arrow heads of atleast 100gr. Also, look for plastic vanes as they last longer (not the best looking ones compared to feather, but the spares are difficult to be sourced in India).

You can get a set of 12/24 arrows with the head/knock/vanes on the arrow of your choice instead of getting them separately. They may charge you a small fee to install the parts, but you can be sure it will be done accurately(The jig to install the vanes itself costs abt $100).

Personally, I have never fired a recurve bow greater than 35lbs. If you are looking at 55-60lbs, why dont you consider a compound bow. It will provide you the luxury of a 65-75% let off which will allow you to aim with a load of 15-20lbs on your fingers.

Regards.

Parag

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:18 pm

archer wrote:Hi Yaj,

I think arrows with an arrow length of 2-3 inches greater than your draw length should work for you.
If you are planning to get a bow with a draw weight of 55-60lbs, do get arrows with arrow heads of atleast 100gr. Also, look for plastic vanes as they last longer (not the best looking ones compared to feather, but the spares are difficult to be sourced in India).

You can get a set of 12/24 arrows with the head/knock/vanes on the arrow of your choice instead of getting them separately. They may charge you a small fee to install the parts, but you can be sure it will be done accurately(The jig to install the vanes itself costs abt $100).
Thanks Parag .Will keep these points in mind.

archer wrote:Personally, I have never fired a recurve bow greater than 35lbs. If you are looking at 55-60lbs, why dont you consider a compound bow. It will provide you the luxury of a 65-75% let off which will allow you to aim with a load of 15-20lbs on your fingers.
Actually i am a bit of a traditionalist, I prefer the recurves to them compound bows inspite of the advantage you mention. Actually what i really want is a composite bow with horn and sinew but I am not too sure how it would hold up to our hot and humid weather :wink:
Regards,
Yaj.

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by archer » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:00 am

Hi Yaj,

I too started the traditional way with a old bamboo long bow. I didnt have a bow string for this, so used squash guts to make one myself.

here is a picture:
https://picasaweb.google.com/paraggad/M ... 1393708562

But, once i shot a friends compound bow, I got hooked on. I remember, one afternoon we were at this place called bombay house in khandala. I spent an entire afternoon by myself shooting that compound bow. I shot about 40 sets of 10 arrows, by the end of it my fingers were red ( was shooting without a finger tab or arm gaurd).

Please do let me know about your developments. Maybe next time I am in bombay, i can get my compound over to your place and shoot a few arrows.

Regards.

Parag

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:43 pm

Sure Parag, that would be great. Will let you know what i end up buying.
Regards,
Yaj.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:49 am

Hi Yaj,
Glad you want to give the stick and string a try. Wheel bows aren't for me either.
Reading the posts between you and Parag, I feel I should point out a few errors.
Firstly, forget about getting a bow with a 24" draw length as that is a youth's draw length.
Starting out with a 55 to 60 # draw weight will ensure that you take a very long time to develope proper form, shoot less and most probably injure yourself.
You should ideally start with a 30 # bow and then gradually move up in draw weight as you progress.
Most manufacturers mark the draw weights of their bows at a 28" draw length (Hoyt measures draw length differently). So the bow's poundage will depend on your actual draw length. Assuming your draw length is 28" and you eventually decide on a 55 or 60 # bow, you will need a 2016 aluminium arrow with a 100 or 125 grain pile. I am not too conversant with wood or carbon arrows. http://www.shootingthestickbow.com/ArrowGuide.html
If you are shooting off the shelf, you will need to fletch your arrows with feathers. Plastic vanes are okay if shooting off a rest.
I would recommend a budget 3-piece recurve bow at this point of time, so that you can buy increasingly higher poundage limbs as you progress. A Samick Sage is what I would recommend. Give me a tinkle if you have my number or PM me your number and we will have a chin wag as it's a long subject and I also want to pick your brains on another subject.
Do yourself a big favour and get yourself a copy of Shooting The Stickbow by Anthony Camera.
3-piece bows have come through without much bother but I had a lot of trouble clearing a single piece bow through postal customs. Not sure what the duty was but I am pretty certain it was more than 12% in all three cases.
Take care.
Mack The Knife

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:44 pm

Just got the book yesterday ,Mack The Knife. The Sage went into customs on the 24th. Did you have to go to the customs dept to clear your TD or did it come home with the customs duty to be paid? Just have the Sage and a few accessories(no arrows) in the package, the total including postage(expedited) is less than Rs10,000/-
Regards,
Yaj.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:18 pm

Hi Yaj,

The take-down Sage was delivered to my door and the duty paid to the postman. The one-piece Bear Montana had to be cleared from the Postal Customs Office and took a good few weeks to clear. :roll:

Since your merchandise total is well under US$200.00 you should not have a problem but will keep my fingers crossed for you all the same.

Mack The Knife