Customs duty on bows?

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Customs duty on bows?

Post by Yaj » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:08 pm

Thanks Mack The Knife. Will let you know how it goes.
Regards,
Yaj.
The more people I meet,the more i like my dog!

For Advertising mail webmaster
Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:14 pm

Got my bow cleared today Mack The Knife. It will be delivered tomorrow. The customs officer told me that all private imports above Rs 2000/- will be levied a duty of 41.4 % and a penalty and a redemption fee. The Rs 10000/- figure is for gifts from abroad. He said that they have started applying this rule from this March though the rule is pretty old (1993 i think). So I ended up paying almost 50% as customs duty and I am afraid my next package will face the same hurdle :evil:
Regards,
Yaj.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:02 pm

Yaj,

From what I can gather Archery equipment should fall in Chapter 95 of the ITC(HS) ,classification code 9506.The custom duty should be 10%.Why not seek a clarification from the Customs department without mentioning the duty that you have paid through RTI.Something along the lines of

1.What is the ITC(HS) classification of Bows,arrows and other archery related goods?

2.What is rate of custom duty payable on sports goods related to archery namely bows,arrows,bow strings etc?

If the duty charged is excessive,you can claim a refund.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:08 pm

I was about to go "Woohoo!" and then I read the rest. It appears they have done away with the 17.5% - 35% bracket for sporting goods.

Did you go to the FPO after receiving the notice or did you change your mind?

Did you ask why you had to pay a penalty and what percentage did they charge?

Never heard of a redemption fee. Did they explain what this is and how much did this come to?

Let's see how much I have to shell out for the Falkie.

Anyway, enjoy the bow because like it or not we are going to get screwed on postage and duty.

-- Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:17 pm --

Winnie,

Have ordered five bows to date (1 via courier and the remaining via post) and never had a problem with the first four. The fifth made up for that though as the Deputy Suptd. claimed that it was a restricted item and I needed membership of an archery association. Told him that my children and I either practice at home or at Decathlon and that I had no intention of joining any archery association. The bow was released, though after much tooing and froing.

Will get Pran and Inder to file a RTI. It's their new hobby. :mrgreen:

Mack The Knife

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:42 pm

winnie_the_pooh wrote:Yaj,

From what I can gather Archery equipment should fall in Chapter 95 of the ITC(HS) ,classification code 9506.The custom duty should be 10%.Why not seek a clarification from the Customs department without mentioning the duty that you have paid through RTI.Something along the lines of

1.What is the ITC(HS) classification of Bows,arrows and other archery related goods?

2.What is rate of custom duty payable on sports goods related to archery namely bows,arrows,bow strings etc?

If the duty charged is excessive,you can claim a refund.
Winnie, the officer said that from March 1st they have started enforcing a rule which only allows import for personal use goods costing upto Rs 2000/-, this figure goes upto Rs 10000/- if it is a gift. Anything above that is liable to be detained and hence the penalty and redemption fee for which I had to take the papers to the DC customs who reduced redemption fee and penalty to Rs 400.- each which according to them was a good deal.
He said that the customs duty prior to March would have been 14%. He was saying that the rule is from the commerce ministry and not Excise/Customs. He was saying that we should write to the Ministry to raise the import limit.There was a female there who was being charged similar fees and penalties for a swimsuit she had ordered. So I think they are applying it across the board to all goods.
Mack The Knife Bana wrote: Did you go to the FPO after receiving the notice or did you change your mind?

Did you ask why you had to pay a penalty and what percentage did they charge?

Never heard of a redemption fee. Did they explain what this is and how much did this come to?

Let's see how much I have to shell out for the Falkie.

Anyway, enjoy the bow because like it or not we are going to get screwed on postage and duty.

Will get Pran and Inder to file a RTI. It's their new hobby. :mrgreen:

Mack The Knife
I received the letter this morning Mack The Knife.Have explained the fees etc (as explained to me) above.
Hope you have better luck with the Falkie! i suppose I will have to go through the same rigmarole when I make my follow up order for the rest of the accessories :cry:
Regards,
Yaj.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:45 pm

Replied to your e-mail. Have a think regarding the alternative.

Duty on a ruddy swimsuit... :roll:

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:56 pm

Yaj,

The old dinosaurs in the Congress strike back.I am sure they would like to turn the clock back to the pre 1980'sRemember to vote against these fellows in 4 years time.

This from the Dept of Commerce http://compendium.iift.ac.in/Search.asp ... tmDtbZVIA=

1.Standard Rate of duty 10%

2.CVD 16%

3.Special CVD 4%

4.Educational Cess 3%

5.Total 33%
Mack The Knife Bana wrote:Replied to your e-mail. Have a think regarding the alternative.

Duty on a ruddy swimsuit... :roll:
She is lucky they did not charge her for the accessories that she had in her possession as they would enhance the value of the suit.

You might think of trying this http://shopyourworld.com/hdfc/#

They have a provision to send something as a gift.BTW I thought the limit to a duty free gift was Rs 5000/-

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:24 pm

winnie_the_pooh wrote:Yaj,

The old dinosaurs in the Congress strike back.I am sure they would like to turn the clock back to the pre 1980'sRemember to vote against these fellows in 4 years time.
You bet!
winnie_the_pooh wrote:You might think of trying this http://shopyourworld.com/hdfc/#

They have a provision to send something as a gift.BTW I thought the limit to a duty free gift was Rs 5000/-
I will need an HDFC bank card for that, used to have one but have only retained my Stanchart card as of now .
The gift limit is 10000/- , the officer showed it to me in their rule book. 20north.com uses this 10000/- gift limit too.
Regards,
Yaj.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:40 am

33% is more like the duty I pay on sporting goods, though it does vary.

Have some fishing lures and hooks, totalling $89.00, that are being sent via courier. Will update how much duty had to be paid when I get the package.

In the past 2 or 3 months, one or two fishing related packages have come duty FREE provided the merchandise total is $89.00 or under. These packages were cleared via Mumbai Airport Customs.

chinna
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by chinna » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:43 pm

Mack The Knife Bana wrote:Hi Yaj,

The take-down Sage was delivered to my door and the duty paid to the postman. The one-piece Bear Montana had to be cleared from the Postal Customs Office and took a good few weeks to clear. :roll:

Since your merchandise total is well under US$200.00 you should not have a problem but will keep my fingers crossed for you all the same.

Mack The Knife
Hi Mack The Knife,

My self Mahesh, iam a newbie to this forum and this is my first post. I would like to purchase/import Samick Sage recurve bow.
I searched for this bow in 20North and in shopyourworld but did not find one. Can you please tell me which website i shall use to book this bow?
BTW iam living in Bangalore.

Regards
Mahesh

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:43 pm

I'm wondering if there is any update on this? I was about to mail order some archery equipment and was pretty sure the customs has been waived but am not too sure after reading these posts???

http://www.cbec.gov.in/customs/cs-act/n ... 146-94.htm

Any recent experiences please....

kopi
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by kopi » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:54 am

Hi frnds i am planning to buy a recurve bow($160) from US does it face any problem at customs??? and i too wanna know the import duty levied for the bow..??? :?: :?:

soori007
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by soori007 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:35 am

Hello, may be this thread is little old but still trying for help and expecting someone to answer me :) First of all I'm new to this forum. My name is Surendra. Recently I bought a compound bow as well as recurve bow and few accessories that go with those bows in US through a friend. Can he courier it to me? What are the chances that I need to pay the customs and if so what is the percentage? If he get them to iNdia personally through airlines, what are the chances that custom officers will stop him in airport. Please educate me on this topic. Thanks.