Village made machete.

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:48 pm

Thanks. May just give it a whirl if the ingredients are available over the counter.

Instead of iron filings, can I drop in some steel wool or how about some small iron nails?

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:56 pm

Perfect, nails used for shoeing horses and oxen? ideal.
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:02 pm

You have to make it difficult, don't you? Where the dickens will I get those kind of nails? I was thinking of cobblers nails or those small upholstery nails.

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:04 pm

cobblers nails then? cant say too much about upholstery nails-Ask Shank? iron is the operative word.

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:04 pm

Have a 100 ml bottle ready-wish I could send it across...

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:05 pm

Actually, if you go to thiose chem supply stores, iron filings are a snap. all OTC.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Village made machete.

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:23 pm

Thanks, Asif.

Do the ingredients go into the bottle in any particular order? Also, once made does it have to be used up within a few days or can it stay for a year or more?

In your previous post you said, "let it dry, boil for a few min-try 15min?" In what do you boil the metal bit, the concoction or water?

Mack The Knife

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:35 pm

Was reminded of this walking stick I picked from a tibetian at Kushalnagra near Coorg.Saving it for old age :)
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:03 pm

Interesting. Used to have a riding corp / swagger stick along the same lines. Still have the blade along with handle but the 'sheath' broke up years back.

Should get one made. Thanks for the inadvertent reminder.

Mack The Knife

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:24 pm

Mack The Knife,

The formula is applied over the metal with a swab and let sit for a ay. The next day there will be a fine layer of rust over everything. This is rubbed off with a fine wire brush, wire wheel, or simply very fine steel wool (you have to remove the oil from the wool first, soak the pad in alcohol or acetone for a few moments first).

Once it is all rubbed down, then you boil it in water (to "set" the oxide). Your machete would be best if it were suspended by the handle, otherwise I would be afraid of it absorbing water and splitting.

You will probably need to do this at least 6 times, but you'll know when you want to stop.

After the last boiling, cover the hot steel with oil to help protect it. It is important to do it right away so the oil gets absorbed into the pores of the metal.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:28 pm

Also, to answer your other question the compound itself has a long shelf life, I wouldn't worry about it.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:10 pm

Thanks Mark.
Mack The Knife, as the man says! No particular order of mixing-wear glasses and thick kitchen gloves.
have sent a detailed e mail.
Best
Axx

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:15 pm

Sword stick's/gupti's are illegal.Nice stick though.

penpusher

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:22 pm

Thanks, Mark and Asif.

penpusher, are they illegal to own (and keep at home) or illegal to carry around?

Mack The Knife

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:30 pm

Forgot to add that the original inhabitants of Kodagu(Coorg) i.e. Kodavas, Amma-Kodavas, Gowdas, Airies, Peggades, Brahmins, Kodava Muslims and other sub-castes are exempt from the provisions of Section 3 & 4 of the Arms Act .

penpusher