Testing some Khukris

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
penpusher

Re: Testing some Khukris

Post by penpusher » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:28 pm

In the second last photo,the hand seems to be dangerously close to the blade and below the blade.Seems like the piece of wood was being held in the hand at the onset of the swing and at the last moment the hand was withdrawn.If the Khukri gets deflected by the wood,it can easily chop off the hand or at the least a finger.

penpusher

For Advertising mail webmaster
Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:01 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="10227 wrote: Take a log of a certain dia and then start chopping into it - forming a V as you go along. Record the number of chops taken to cut through half or all of the log. Now move onto another knife and a log of similar dia. The logs should preferably be from the same trunk.
Mack The Knife
Hi Mack The Knife,

This weather permitting, i shall try on the weekend, and get back..

Regards
Ranjeet
------------------
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:04 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="10255 wrote: The Chiruwa Ang Khola is said to tranfer more vibration/shock through the hand due to it's full tang.
Mack The Knife
This is true, I could feel it that its better if you have a rat tail, As you can see in the pics there are two with full tangs and two with rat tail tangs..

The rat tail definately is much more easy on your hand than the full tang ones, specially if the wood is hard..

Regards
Ranjeet
------------------

Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:15 pm

penpusher";p="10267 wrote: In the second last photo,the hand seems to be dangerously close to the blade and below the blade.Seems like the piece of wood was being held in the hand at the onset of the swing and at the last moment the hand was withdrawn.If the Khukri gets deflected by the wood,it can easily chop off the hand or at the least a finger.
penpusher
Well, penpusher, what you say is absolutely true, next time, i would definately use a tong kind of thing to hold the block of wood, A slip would definately mean a missing finger or a hand..

Ranjeet
------------------

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:19 pm

What kind of tang does the brit pattern have?
Not that I'm going to be chopping wood regularly, but I do need to replace the original Indian Army Gurkha I lost about 10 years ago...and I'm not looking at a 'Kraton' handled one...
Yup Mack The Knife, damned speedreading again! Re read the puja and blessing stuff again.Touching.
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:21 pm

What kind of tang does the brit pattern have?
Rat tail.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:13 pm

Will look very hard at it-but the irony is It'll have to come down via US or some other country inspite of being a 3 hr flight away.That finnish design featured on their site is a great one too.
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:22 pm

Well,

Its been loads of work with a project go-live date, but still last weekend, i had gone out with some friends to a beer garden near some woods outside of Munich and tested the khukri again and this time a decent size log, felled by the storm that we had here last week..

All this in less than 5 minutes, we actually timed it..The khukri reigns supreme in chopping..[img]

And still the khukri holds the edge like new!!..

Cheers!
Ranjeet
Last edited by Ranjeet Singh on Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
------------------

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:04 am

Beautiful Ranjeet!

Very nice knife. I have an old khukri that is still in India, an army one from the 70s and I plan to bring it back for Mark when I go there. It came with several small knives with it, all about 2 inches long. Do you have those as well?

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:29 am

Mehul

Order a 15 incher from Nevada .. mine came packed in hindi news paper..recommend blade size 15inch

Rgds

Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:36 am

mehulkamdar";p="10986 wrote:Beautiful Ranjeet!
Very nice knife. I have an old khukri that is still in India, an army one from the 70s and I plan to bring it back for Mark when I go there. It came with several small knives with it, all about 2 inches long. Do you have those as well?
Hi Mehul, the one that I have come with only the standard Karda and Chakmak, there are of course so many variations..

A khukri from 70s - that must be of outstanding quality, Mark would be lucky to have it.

Ranjeet
------------------

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:21 am

Ranjeet,
That's some seious abuse you're subjecting the knife to.
Ranjeet Singh";p="10963 wrote:
Its been loads of work with a project go-live date, but still last weekend,
...and you found a great way to release your frustrations :)
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:09 pm

Navdeep,

I have the old khukri in India and it was a gift to me from a good friend of my father's, a Col in the army who is no more. I am not into knives like some members here are and consider them a tool. :oops: Now before someone jumps on me, I'll stop but I do not have much knowledge of different knife types at all and have found a good 4" blade Chicago cutlery knife good enough for most work here. In India I had an old Case hunter probably made before the war which was a hand me down and is still at my parents' place.

Ranjeet,

Not sure how much better the older ones are over the new ones. I guess that is for you knife buffs to decide. As a knife-Philistine, I thought that the newer ones would have better metallurgy. But then, that's what I know about knives... :oops:

The only knife that I shall never give away is my late father in law's kirpan which is with my mother in law and which she wants me to have along with his sword. I thought my wife was going to bring them back on her recent trip to India but she did not. I guess those would come with me and remain safely on display in my living room.

Cheers!