Blades on camera ..... TC

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

An Axe to grind

Post by xl_target » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:18 am

Nice looking Machete, TC.

Re: the (world Famous) Collins & Company.....

A few weeks ago, I was going on a weekend hiking trip with a friend and about half way there, I realized I had left my hatchet at home. Camping is no fun without a campfire and trying to prepare wood for the fire is no fun with a pocket knife. I know, I've tried.

I was going through a town and saw a hardware store and stopped in. In the axe section they had some Collins Axes. I thought; "Cool, Collins Axes".. and bought camper's hatchet. I didn't really pay very close attention to it and didn't even take off the blade guard to check out the edge, I just threw it in the back of the truck. When I got to the campsite and got to work on the wood, it hit me... this thing is a piece of crap. So then I read the label; "Hecho in Mexico". Whaaaat!

Present day Collins Campers Hatchet.

Yeah, the Collins Axe Company got bought out by some Mexican Company (in 2003) and are now putting the Collins name on these crappy tools. Well, at least the head didn't fly off, like I read on an internet review. There was basically no edge on it, so when I got home, I put the edge on. At least the casting is symmetrical unlike some of the photos of recent Collins hatchets that I have seen on the Internet. It didn't roll up its edge and die either so I will have to wait till next summer to see if it will hold the edge for any length of time. I read a lot of Internet reviews after that trip and I have come to the conclusion that it isn't worth the ink that was used to print the Collins name on the handle. ON the bright side, at least I will have something to hammer my tent stakes in with.

It ain't no Granfors Bruks, that's for sure.

sincerely,
Bummed out and Disappointed! in Minnesota.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
TC
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Blades on camera ..... TC

Post by TC » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:14 pm

> When they finally come out of the closet - It would've been worth the wait :D
> Happy Durga Puja TC & to family!!!!
Briha
Thanks Brihaji. Since I have returned after the Pujas. Let me wish you and all my friends

SHUVO BEJOYA

TC

Raghvendrasingh wrote:Hello TC sir
Really a great collection........ as I wish I will have one day
Thank you so much Raghvendra. I wish you an even better collection. All you need is patience. Money comes later.

TC

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:22 pm

Unfortunately, I lost that blade to an un-natural calamity and do not have pictures at hand to post :( What a pity!?
Oh My God ! Kalyan Da I really feel sad. It must have been one of the bigger models I mentioned. But I am sure you can get one in the US in a surplus stores or yard sales. Just keep an eye :D

Oh! The closet is going to open soon :D

:cheers:

TC
xl_target wrote:Nice looking Machete, TC.

Re: the (world Famous) Collins & Company.....

A few weeks ago, I was going on a weekend hiking trip with a friend and about half way there, I realized I had left my hatchet at home. Camping is no fun without a campfire and trying to prepare wood for the fire is no fun with a pocket knife. I know, I've tried.

I was going through a town and saw a hardware store and stopped in. In the axe section they had some Collins Axes. I thought; "Cool, Collins Axes".. and bought camper's hatchet. I didn't really pay very close attention to it and didn't even take off the blade guard to check out the edge, I just threw it in the back of the truck. When I got to the campsite and got to work on the wood, it hit me... this thing is a piece of crap. So then I read the label; "Hecho in Mexico". Whaaaat!

[ Image ]
Present day Collins Campers Hatchet.

Yeah, the Collins Axe Company got bought out by some Mexican Company (in 2003) and are now putting the Collins name on these crappy tools. Well, at least the head didn't fly off, like I read on an internet review. There was basically no edge on it, so when I got home, I put the edge on. At least the casting is symmetrical unlike some of the photos of recent Collins hatchets that I have seen on the Internet. It didn't roll up its edge and die either so I will have to wait till next summer to see if it will hold the edge for any length of time. I read a lot of Internet reviews after that trip and I have come to the conclusion that it isn't worth the ink that was used to print the Collins name on the handle. ON the bright side, at least I will have something to hammer my tent stakes in with.

It ain't no Granfors Bruks, that's for sure.

sincerely,
Bummed out and Disappointed! in Minnesota.
XL,
Now that's a great story to share. I am sure not too many people know what happened to Collins and Co over the years. I didn't.
Thanks again. You made this thread richer

TC

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:00 am

xl_target quite an interesting story about the decline of the once famous Legitimus Collins; nice hachet job?! :(

Shall keep an eye out for any good specimens at the surplus stores TC - thanks.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:06 am

ckkalyan wrote:xl_target quite an interesting story about the decline of the once famous Legitimus Collins; nice hachet job?! :(

Shall keep an eye out for any good specimens at the surplus stores TC - thanks.
CK, if it says "Legitimus Collins", it's usually an original Collins & Co product.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Lanceman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Lanceman » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:23 pm

Hey TC was trekking at 3300 meters so couldn't wish you and the family a great Durga Pooja. May your shastr remain sharp and blades keen
It is better to die on one's feet than live on one's knees.

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:41 pm

Lanceman wrote:Hey TC was trekking at 3300 meters so couldn't wish you and the family a great Durga Pooja. May your shastr remain sharp and blades keen
Hi Lanceman, thank you so much for the good wishes. Shuvo Bejoya :D
Did you find anything sharp at 3300 mts given your extraordinarily sharp eye for sharp objects ? :D

TC

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:18 am

TCda, you have successfully managed to change the subject from your M16!! Still awaiting pics and story...... (for heaven's sake don't show up with an airsoft version!!)
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:09 pm

essdee1972 wrote:TCda, you have successfully managed to change the subject from your M16!! Still awaiting pics and story...... (for heaven's sake don't show up with an airsoft version!!)
Dear Essdee, if it wasn't an airsoft I would be in Jail !! ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

WHAT did you think ?? ROTFL ROTFL

TC

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:45 pm

essdee1972 wrote:TCda, you have successfully managed to change the subject from your M16!! Still awaiting pics and story......
He he!

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:40 am

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:51 pm

essdee1972 wrote::evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Oh please don't be angry dear brother. The day you see my 1:1 scale airsoft replicas with authentic markings you will be happy. I promise :D

TC

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:02 pm

I must go to my boss right now and invent some crisis in the east I need to solve!!
Cheers!

EssDee

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:54 pm

essdee1972 wrote:I must go to my boss right now and invent some crisis in the east I need to solve!!
High time Essdee :) High time :)

TC

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:53 pm

Awesome Blades TcDa, bequeath them to me, will you gramps :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Regards
Moin
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus