Suggestions for a take-down recurve bow required.

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:16 am

Yaj";p="52929 wrote: I think the craft of bow making is indeed called bowyery.
At the cost of being pedantic, a bow maker is a bowyer - he/ she makes bows but does not practice "bowyery". Unlike archer/ archery... ;)
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:32 am

mundaire";p="52938 wrote:
Yaj";p="52929 wrote: I think the craft of bow making is indeed called bowyery.
At the cost of being pedantic, a bow maker is a bowyer - he/ she makes bows but does not practice "bowyery". Unlike archer/ archery... ;)
I said I think, because I have seen it used in that context but I maybe wrong. In fact I have seen the place of business (bow making) being referred to as a "bowyery" as in baker and bakery.
But I'm no expert and I bow to your superior knowledge of the english language :mrgreen: .
Regards,
Yaj.
The more people I meet,the more i like my dog!

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:40 am

Archer.. much needed tips there :)
Lets hope we are all as lucky as you are. I am planning to get into the State Archery Association before importing one. Will that help?
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Suggestions for a take-down recurve bow required.

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:05 am

Parag, thanks for typing out your import experience. I plan on using a courier if I decide to import and will most most probably join the archery association along with Anand.

Yaj and Abhijeet, I typed in bowyery into Google and it seems to be an oft used word in the world of bow making. Cannot find it in the dictionary though.

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:18 am

I could not find anything related to 'Bowyery' but got 'Bowyer'

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=bowyer

bow·yer [boh-yer] Pronunciation Key -noun
a maker or seller of archers' bows.
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:16 pm

Sharief,

I've been thinking and I may just make a simple stickbow to start with.

Mack The Knife

R-Dhillon
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by R-Dhillon » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:07 pm

I made a stickbow last week, used a 5ft tall bamboo staff about an inch in diameter and used the scooter clutch wire as the string...bought bolts for it from G.Smith...it's powerful and accurate...dont have a chronoghraph to measure its speed...but its great fun...if you want to purchase a good powerful andaccurate bow...Go for a Mattew...I'll be goin to UK in the first week...my cousin there has one...does anyone know some place tto get a chronograph??...need to measure my crossbow and IHP modified rifle...
Regards,
R.Dhillon...

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:08 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="52970 wrote: Sharief,

I've been thinking and I may just make a simple stickbow to start with.

Mack The Knife
Now you're talking, and I'm all ears (eyes). Please keep us posted. When I was a kid and visited my grandparents, my grand father used to make me a bow from a quarter of a bamboo. Nothing fancy, soak the strip of bamboo in water for a few days, then string it up with some nylon string. The arrows would be made from the rest of the bamboo, small strips. Had a lot of fun monkeying around with that. I'm sure what you make will be almost professional grade. My best wishes.

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:27 pm

Can we have a few pictures please...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:31 pm

Sharief,

It's going to be based on the second of your three links. What I intend making is the flat bow rather than the long bow. Looks doable for bloke with almost no wood working skills.

Let me see if I can source some hickory, failing which it will have to be some other hardwood.

Will do a photo feature as I go along or after it's over.

Mack The Knife

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:56 pm

I have a simple nice Archery game to share ... but since I cannot upload it along with this message, request suggestions to post the same :)
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:36 am

Mack The Knife,

How about a copy of the Mughal steel bow?

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:50 am

penpusher,

Have pity on me. I know zilch on the subject. Let me make that flat bow first then I will consider making something else. However, if you have any drawings, manufacturing procedure, etc., let me know.

BTW, I am thinking of backing the flat bow with bamboo as an insurance policy as I am already having visions of the bow going 'CRACK' after putting in the effort of making one.

Arrows are another thing that I have to consider.

Damn Sharief and my big mouth! :evil:

:wink:

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:29 am

Mack The Knife,

Have only seen a couple of these and have no idea about the exact measurements.However, it seemed pretty simple to make.All that you need is tempered steel/spring steel.You can ask some of the makers of such stuff in Rajasthan about the dimensions of the bows that they sell.If memory serves me right,Curious House also make's steel bows.

With a laminated bow,one possibility that would have to consider is that of de-lamination.It is not without reason that the mughals moved from the compound bow of wood and sinews to that of steel.Making a laminated bow does seem to require a dedicated set up.Wood and steel jigs to form and cure the bow and ovens for curing.Knowing you,you would want to follow the instructions to the T.At the end of it,you may find that buying one would have been cheaper and less frustrating.

All this information on the net does not tell you many things and you find at a later stage that the entire exercise is a lot more complicated and expensive than the source would have you believe.You would be learning as you make mistakes and at your own expense.Good if you want to make 'bowery' your profession but not if it is going to be just one bow

Steel would be much easier to source and machine.You seem to have access to the services of a machinist.He can help you to source the steel and to cut it to the required shape.Also, it will not go 'crack' and at the end of it,if you are not happy with the result it will still sell as scrap :mrgreen:

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:38 am

Mack The Knife Bana";p="52987 wrote:
Let me see if I can source some hickory, failing which it will have to be some other hardwood.
The last time I had thought of making a bow I had thought jackfruit wood might be a good choice. Its from the same family as mulberry and osage both being considered as great woods for bows. It should be easily available down south and has a nice yellow colour which darkens with age .Seen plenty of furniture made of the stuff in South Kanara and liked the look of it.
Regards,
Yaj.
The more people I meet,the more i like my dog!