Blades on camera ..... TC

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
TC
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Blades on camera ..... TC

Post by TC » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:06 pm

FN-Five-Seven wrote:
TC wrote:
And, coming to your experience with the Khukri, follow what I have always done. If you know you have something worth buying and have the money don't let it out of your sight 8) 8)
Yes , and I have learnt that from experience . ROTFL

Actually what happened was that , my cousin was also at the Industrial Fair , but he was near the IOF stall . While I was bargaining for the Nepali blade , I got a call from my cousin that the IOF stall was displaying the .22 Revolver , the .32 ASHANI , the .22 Rifle , the .315 rifle , the .30-06 rifle , the 9mm pistol and something according my cousin the black INSAS ( It was the KALANTAK INSAS ). He said that this time the representatives of the IOF were actually letting the visitors handle the weapons . He said since a crowd was building up at the stall , he was not sure how long they would let visitors handle the weapons . I wanted to check out the 9mm & the KALANTAK , so I literally flew from the Nepal stall to the IOF stall . And the rest is history . :mrgreen:

F-N-Five-Seven
ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL .... the kalantak stole your khukri

For Advertising mail webmaster
TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:10 pm

essdee1972 wrote:TCda, amazing blades!!
Anybody can log into http://www.knifecenter.com and order a bunch of blades for themselves , but collecting blades, with histories attached to them , from every nook and corner of the country and abroad , is an activity reserved for a special breed of individuals .
:agree:

Buying blades from places as diverse as Scotland and Cairo...... that's passion, sir!!

Hats off!!
Thanks Essdee. Coming from a collector like you, that's a great compliment !

TCda

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:18 pm

surajshuresh wrote:Hi Tc thats an amazing collection of blades you got there mate. I just love that bowie. Can you give me some information about it like steel,make, when and where you got etc...I also love the folders all of them. You have an amazing taste. These are truly collectable. TC TC...lol...hahaha...
Hi Suraj,
Thanks for the kind words. I don't know much about the Bowie. Dad got from the US when he was young (before I was born) and used it extensively all his life. The markings are all gone. But he told me once that he bought it from a shop in California. The handle is horn and steel with red liners and the leather sheath is beautifully crafted. That's all I can say.

TC

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:51 pm

TC da, as a journalist, you ought to know the definition of the word "collector"! :twisted: :mrgreen:

I most certainly am not one! I buy things I (hope to) use!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:43 pm

buy things I (hope to) use!
Now that's scary :wink:

BTW I was "told" you have "collected" quite a few good blades....including a big one very recently :wink: .. Seems we have a lot to discuss when we meet :mrgreen:

TCda

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:44 pm

essdee1972 wrote: TC da, as a journalist, you ought to know the definition of the word "collector"! :twisted: :mrgreen:
Collectors don't buy - They acquire :D
Briha

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:41 pm

brihacharan wrote:
essdee1972 wrote: TC da, as a journalist, you ought to know the definition of the word "collector"! :twisted: :mrgreen:
Collectors don't buy - They acquire :D
Briha
Agree Brihaji...

TC

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:58 pm

Completely forgot my only Indian faulad... Picked this one in 2000 from an "antique" dealer in Jodhpur who claimed the blade was at least "500 years old."
Convinced, I paid him and left :mrgreen:

The musket bayonets with triangular cross-section issued by the East India Company to its soldiers. These spikes are about 18 inches long. The shiny one with sides of equal width has the serial no intact :D The broken one has one flat side that is wider than the other two. Acquired these from an old collection about 10 years ago along with a bullet mould, cast bullets, powder flask etc etc...

u_vaste
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by u_vaste » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:18 am

[quote="TC"]Have been collecting blades for years but never really bothered to shoot them... though photography remains a pastime. Have been doing a few shoots recently but only selected blades with appeal of some sort.... Hope you guys like the results... Adding captions only where necessary.

wow!!!! Amazing collection Sir! :D
you got those guns then you have given away few :shock: , now these blades I must say pretty little museum you have there. :D
Uv

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:21 pm

Collectors don't buy - They acquire
Briha
That's why I said I am not one.... :mrgreen:

TCda, those bayonets are sweet! I have read somewhere that Indian troops serving in eastern front in WW1 (Palestine, Persia, Mesopotamia, Turkey, etc.) also had spike bayonets. It seems they met the Bolshies in Baku or somewhere (Azerbaijan, Armenia kinda places) and scattered the Reds by the simple expediant of a frontal bayonet charge!

And the only use I have in mind is on veggies, fruits, and the occasional piece of mutton - nothing. I did manage to gather a tiny number - a Vic Officier Suisse, a Browning folder courtesy Bruno22 on this site, a Chinese springer, a CRKT Zilla tool, also courtesy Bruno, 2 "tourist" khukris from WBTDC in Darjeeling (both victim to misplaced DIY), a Tibetan dagger from the same source, a Karambit from a website called 20North, a Tramontina machete from ebay, the Opinel gifted by Monsieur Tirpassion, one or two converted hacksaw blades (experimental DIY), and a Nieto "Bowie kinda thing" (the same as you have with the camo sheath).
The latest <drumroll> - Becker BK7 courtesy Moin <fanfare>.
Apologies for my innate laziness in not putting up photos!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

swajan
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by swajan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:40 pm

really a nice collection.

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:50 am

essdee1972 wrote:
Collectors don't buy - They acquire
Briha
That's why I said I am not one.... :mrgreen:

TCda, those bayonets are sweet! I have read somewhere that Indian troops serving in eastern front in WW1 (Palestine, Persia, Mesopotamia, Turkey, etc.) also had spike bayonets. It seems they met the Bolshies in Baku or somewhere (Azerbaijan, Armenia kinda places) and scattered the Reds by the simple expediant of a frontal bayonet charge!

And the only use I have in mind is on veggies, fruits, and the occasional piece of mutton - nothing. I did manage to gather a tiny number - a Vic Officier Suisse, a Browning folder courtesy Bruno22 on this site, a Chinese springer, a CRKT Zilla tool, also courtesy Bruno, 2 "tourist" khukris from WBTDC in Darjeeling (both victim to misplaced DIY), a Tibetan dagger from the same source, a Karambit from a website called 20North, a Tramontina machete from ebay, the Opinel gifted by Monsieur Tirpassion, one or two converted hacksaw blades (experimental DIY), and a Nieto "Bowie kinda thing" (the same as you have with the camo sheath).
The latest <drumroll> - Becker BK7 courtesy Moin <fanfare>.
Apologies for my innate laziness in not putting up photos!
Dear Essdee, that sounds like quite a collection to me... wanna have a look at the machete someday!

TC

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:51 am

swajan wrote:really a nice collection.
Thank you Swajanda

TC

ARAE
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ARAE » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:57 pm

TC wrote:Have been collecting blades for years but never really bothered to shoot them... though photography remains a pastime. Have been doing a few shoots recently but only selected blades with appeal of some sort.... Hope you guys like the results... Adding captions only where necessary.

Camera used : Wife's Canon ixus because of its brilliant lens and low light performance. Used Photoshop for final results.

[ Image ]
The 1794 Madras Infantry officer's sword I collected years ago...

[ Image ]
The Austrian Glock field knife a friend presented recently.

[ Image ]
Fairbairn Sykes.. the famous British commando knife

[ Image ]
Dad's bowie..came from the US... This blade is special..

[ Image ]
AK 47 bayonet...This chap is a fake... but looks cool.. brother got it from China !

[ Image ]
The Victorinox Kirpan

[ Image ]
Closeup of the Kirpan

[ Image ]
This is a folding knuckle knife bought in Korea years ago. 44C blade and stainless steel grips..

[ Image ]
The Fairbairn Applegate fighting folder... gift from a dear brother..

[ Image ]
WW II German paratrooper knife bought in Sholigen... blade is free flowing, uses gravity or a small swing of the hand to open or close

[ Image ]
A traditional French folder .... but made in Spain

[ Image ]
Skean Dubh.. a traditional knife acquired from Scotland. Highlanders used to carry these inside the socks worn with kilts

[ Image ]
Pair of Balisongs... The black one is a Muelay... I bought the steel one from a knife maker in Manila.

[ Image ]
Handmade Kris bought in Malaysia... The ones with more etchings and better steel are frightfully expensive

[ Image ]
Muelay axe... real tough one.. comes with a high quality leather sheath

[ Image ]
The Glock field knife in the outdoors

[ Image ]
My EDC gear... The Izula was a gift from my dear brother Moin.... :D

[ Image ]
A Nubian knife I picked up from a village at Aswan, Egypt

[ Image ]
Couple of throwers I picked up for a song in either Hong Kong or Manila... the broad head is a beauty...

[ Image ]
Dad's Kuhkri...

[ Image ]
Picked up this one for some 100 INR from an old woman at the night market in Temple Street, Hong Kong. The lock is at the top of the frame !

[ Image ]
Vic made this one for Mauser...

[ Image ]
This is the only Wenger bought in Switzerland. I used to have a craze for Victorinox.. had at least a dozen more... made perfect gifts during recessions :D

[ Image ]
Not too many people may have seen these Vic type knives issued to soldiers of erstwhile USSR. This one and the belt was actually sold by a soldier in Berlin when the Wall came down. The solders were trapped for weeks before they were flown back. Many sold their kits to people looking for souvenirs

[ Image ]
Look closely... USSR is marked clearly in the middle of the grip

[ Image ]
Stilettos always caught my fancy. The small one bought from a small shop in the Reunion Islands is three times more expensive than the big one bought in Rome :(

[ Image ]

[ Image ]
The Shin Gunto... a WWII Japanese katana issued to NCOs... Have given it away

[ Image ]
A Muelay fighter that went as a gift

[ Image ]
Dad's salvaged this Khukri from somewhere.. the sheath and grip were missing. He got the sheath made from walnut and made the grips himself with high grade ebonite

That's all for now ... there are more blades but too ugly to capture imagination ...

:cheers:
TC

PS : Edited the post and added captions
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
ARAE

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:01 pm

One year later................Wooooh - nice collection TC - as one would say in Kerala - Simbly Suberb!! :cheers:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!