Nepali Khukuri

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:47 pm

hey

1. So breaking a coconut using a kukhri is not something wrong?? Now I have a normal Sickle for that job though.

2. Mack The Knife, you are right. this kukhri is just another kukhri, it happend to be sourced by my friend who is a major from one of his guys going home on leave. His neighbour is a blacksmith i guess!! This is not the official GR kukhri.

3. I got only the kukhri as a gift .... So I will have to borrow a chamak and karda from some one .. rusty.. when can we meet up??

4. Head is hangin in shame.. and the blade will get a some rubbing with super-fine emery paper and a coat of oil tonight.

Diskaon.
klick klack..... diskaon

For Advertising mail webmaster
snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:51 pm

diskaon, I have the exact same Kukuri, picked it up last year in Coorg (Tibetian monastery) for 650/- after a lot of bargaining.
Regarding Sharpening it without damaging the finish i would suggest you use the common 'Oil Stone" which is available in any hardware store for 100 odd bucks.
/S/
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:53 pm

penpusher";p="59903 wrote: On IFG all firearms and other arms are tools....
This is a new direction of this discussion... :)
penpusher";p="59903 wrote: ...Refer to the heading of this section .....knives and other edged TOOLS.
Heh Heh... OK OK.. :)

But it does say knives and other edged tools.

But if you and others would like to redefine that a Khukri is not a weapon, despite the mention that it is, in dictionaries AND the manufacturer's website... then I have nothing to say, but pray :)
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

lazybones
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by lazybones » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:26 pm

diskaon: there's nothing unofficial about your khukri. In most GRs the govt issue khukri is oiled and stored for ceremonial occasions. The khukri purchased from the local blacksmith is the one used on a daily basis.

Ashok

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:58 pm

So breaking a coconut using a kukhri is not something wrong?? Now I have a normal Sickle for that job though
No it isn't, make sure to wipe it dry and oil it to prevent rusting.

Btw, I'm sure you meant a Billhook. It's hard to open a coconut shell with a sickle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billhook

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sickle
TenX";p="59906 wrote:On IFG all firearms and other arms are tools....
This is a new direction of this discussion... :)
A weapon is an object used to induce pain/hurt or kill someone. Guns and knives don't qualify as 'weapons' as long as they are not used to harm anyone. A flower vase would qualify as a weapon if you used it hurt someone.
But if you and others would like to redefine that a Khukri is not a weapon, despite the mention that it is, in dictionaries AND the manufacturer's website... then I have nothing to say, but pray :)
Khukuri is as much a weapon as a kitchen knife, a sickle or a spade.
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:43 pm

... was expecting this... :)
I am not surprised considering we have discussed this in the not too distant past.
Now, if the manufactuers and those who have been in the business of making and authenticating this stuff calls it a weapon, I see no reason not to:)
That statement has as much chance as being your 'ace' as I have of winning a gymnastics competition. Until not too long back, NRAI refered to the 'equipment control' procedure as 'weapon control'. That did not make them right.

Besides Yaj's and Pran's explanations let me also warn you that every time you chaps label a firearm or knife as a weapon, you are effectively putting another arrow into the anti's quiver because it makes it that much easier for them to take the things we love away from us.

To end the sermon, I would like to ask you the same thing you had suggested we use on Oleg's poster/s for India - Which side are you on?

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:53 pm

Diski,

I don't know when we can meet up but keep that blade oiled (not excessively) until we do.

Alternatively, you could deburr the edge with light strokes at the appropriate angle using a fine file or sharpening stone. If it is a 'dink' rather than a burr, then you could use a light hammer to de-dink the the dink. :mrgreen: Just use light taps and keep checking after every few taps. Keep the edge against a hard surface.

Incidentally, the chakma/chakmak is the honing steel, whilst the karda is the small utility knife. However, you can use the spine (back) of the karda or any other thick non-flexing blade.

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:57 pm

I humbly bend down and fade away.. for the time being... traveling to the Bandipur-Chamarajanagar range tonight, and have not even packed....
.. no time for narrow minded african belly dancers ;)
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:10 pm

TenX";p="59935 wrote:.. no time for narrow minded african belly dancers ;)
Until the next time you need something...

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:01 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="59938 wrote:
TenX";p="59935 wrote:.. no time for narrow minded african belly dancers ;)
Until the next time you need something...
.. Did not mean to be mean.. was trying to pull a heavy leg... :)
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

icemanV
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by icemanV » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:31 pm

So nawabsa..........blackmail he? what happened to your little black book
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail-should we fall- we will know that we have lived" - Steven Erikson, TTH