Paracord

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
monty3006
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Paracord

Post by monty3006 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:07 pm

Hello everyone,
Just made a basic knife with HSS ( high speed steel) from a broken power hacksaw blade. The rough shape was got to with a grinder and then polished with a buffer. I've got it ready now. For the scales I was thinking of paracord wraps. Can any one tell me where to get paracord in India or some workable substitute? Personally I'm thinking of trying out rapelling rope as a last resort. Any ideas or hints would prove useful.
Thanks
Monish.
Monish

For Advertising mail webmaster
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:22 pm

You'll have to ask the friendly retired 'Para colonel uncle' neighbour.If anyone coming down from US, available at any Dicks or Costco kind of shops.
Best, post pics!
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:23 pm

Want to try leather shoelaces? Fauji type? use a base rubber cement on the tang, wrap leather shoelaces evenly and then after drying, varnish to waterproof.
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:58 pm

Monty,

Climbing rope will be too thick.

Try an armed forces chappie, preferably IAF, for the paracord or import it from the U.S..

Mack The Knife

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Paracord

Post by Mark » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:10 pm

I would check at a boat supply house. Do you call them "ship chandlers" over there?

Also, could you have a weaver locally make something for you?
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:54 am

This site has an illustration of how to wrap a para cord on a knife handle http://www.therangerdigest.com/Tips___T ... andle.html

penpusher

gun nut
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by gun nut » Sat May 24, 2008 7:12 am

For monty 3006,
I have an old parachute from which I can let you have a piece of
shroud line.The chute is in storage at present.I'll get the line in a day or two and send it to you;could you PM me your postal address?
regards
gun nut.

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by archer » Sat May 24, 2008 12:07 pm

climbing rope(8mm or 10mm) will be too thick. Parachute cord can be bought at tody n co in mumbai, but they sell only in bulk (by weight). they are located near phoenix mills

I used a piece of nylon rope(5mm) for my knife. I bought it from lohar chawl(near crawford market). they stock all kinds of fishing gear( fishing gear that the fisherman use). This nylon rope is regularly used by fisherman for various activites.
Unfortunately i dont have the knife anymore

regards
Parag
Yeh dil maange more.....!!!

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Sat May 24, 2008 12:55 pm

Monish you can get cords/ropes of every type at Masjid Bunder on the streets where the shops catering to the commercial fishermen are located.
Regards,
Yaj.
The more people I meet,the more i like my dog!