Knife Reviews

All Things Sharp and Pointed: compound and crossbows, knives and swords.
kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Knife Reviews

Post by kshitij » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:32 pm

Quick update guys.
Since I haven't been able to get out much, there are no knife reviews yet, just an update on the old 'Campanion'.
20151206_135525-1.jpg
Got the micarta scales for the BK2. These feel much better in hand as compared to the grivory scales it originally comes with and they are contoured just as well as the factory scales.
20151206_135612.jpg
20151206_135632.jpg
Fit and finish is top notch and the micarta scales sit perfectly flush with the blade's handle profile. Also there is no difference in the way the knife fits in the sheath with the micarta handle put on.
While this doesnt make the BK2 as good as the Esee 5 in my eyes, it does do a pretty darn good job of reducing the margin between the two :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

For Advertising mail webmaster
kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:42 pm

Recently got my first Mora knife after a longish wait. It is the Companion model in Sandvik Stainless steel. Heres a quick review.
20151218_133544.jpg
Despite offering most of their products at relatively entry level prices, Morakniv is a highly regarded knife make among enthusiasts the world over. Their simple ergonomic designs along with their scandi grinds make them a preferred choice among the outdoorsmen, craftsmen and the general users alike.

Specs of the knife are:
Blade Length: 4.1" (104 mm)
Blade Steel: 12C27 Sandvik Steel, 57-58HRC
Blade Thickness: 2.5 mm
Overall Length: 8.6" (218 mm)
Handle Material: Rubber
Weight: 4.1 oz. (116 g)
Made in Sweden
20151218_133529-1.jpg
Design:
The Mora is unlike any of the other 4 to 6 inch medium sized knives I have. While the other knives seem like heavy, purpose built tools that will last till the end of time, the Mora feels like a slightly better made kitchen knife in comparison. But this comparison does no justice to the capabilities of the knife, as i soon learnt.
The blade length is about 4 inches with a rather small belly and a drop point. The grind is a flat scandi with no micro bevel. The handle is hard plastic with a rubber coat, which is grippy to say the least. I personally found the handle to be rather slim for my hand size and my hand did get sore after a few hours of hard use. So the handle profile is not aces in my book.
The Mora companion comes with a basic but stùrdy hard plastic sheath which does what it is supposed to just fine. The sheath has a belt clip as well as button dangle arrangement to carry it around. The knife mildly clicks into the sheath but i am not sure how well the retention will hold with use and wear. All said and done the sheath is a bonus given how well the knife is made and the price it sells at.
20151224_150103-1-1.jpg
What i like about the design of the knife is its compact dimensions. Even with the knife in the sheath the overall profile is slim. Its light weight will make it easy to carry for the camping day trips as well as the hiking trips.
20151224_150225-1.jpg
In Use:
I couldnt wait to for a camping trip to put the knife to use. So on a Sunday I dug up a log of hard wood I had around(courtesy Brihaji). The block of wood was about 3.5x3.5×18inches. For some reason it seemed like a bright idea to carve out a spoon of some sort from that wooden block using the Mora.
20151220_144505-1.jpg
So with that bright idea and zero experience of wood working or carving i set about my task. Thought of getting the desired slice of wood from the block by batoning it. The wood being almost as wide as the length of the blade, I couldn't use the Mora to go through it so had to use the Old Hickory for the batoning.
20151220_143143-1.jpg
20151220_143130-1.jpg
20151220_143455-1.jpg
Got a piece about 1 inch thick and drew the rough profile of what i thought resembled a long stirring spoon. Then got down to carving the profile out using the Mora. The knife did a pretty fine job of taking of chunks of wood in an extremely controlled manner despite the wood being rather hard. The wood had a knot in it at the center length wise and offset to the left width wise. This knot made it extremely difficult to take off wood around it. I found this to highlight a short coming in the Mora. The shortish length of the knife restricts the amount of leverage that can be applied. Hence you have to work harder than you would have to with a longer knife. This was confirmed when using the Old Hickory in the same knotted area. The longer blade made it easier to slice off wood despite the resistance of the twisted grains of the knot due to the extra leverage i could apply.
20151220_151617-1-1.jpg

After about two odd hours of shaving off wood i was finally holding something that resembled a spoon! I was happy with what i was able to accomplish using two rather simple knives in turning a block of wood into a useable item.
20151220_153002-1.jpg
20151220_200142.jpg
Everything the reviews told of the Moras wood working capability was true and I am highly impressed with the prowess of the scandi grind.
I intended to keep this knife exclusively for use of my better half for food prep during our camping trips but I have a feeling that is about to change. The only complain i have of this knife is its rather slim handle which I found a bit small for my hands while using it and having to apply force. Other than that I find this little budget knife capable enough to match up to some of the pricier beauties out there.
20151224_150347-1-1.jpg
So that about sums my initial impression of this knife after putting it to some use.

Small suggestion:
While doing any DIY projects at home that will make a mess, especially when doing said project without the better halfs knowledge, make sure the Bai is coming that day. Else having to clean up your own mess after putting in considerable time and effort into a "project" is really not a fun thing to do :D

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by kshitij on Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:16 pm

Great review Kshitij!
Keep them coming.....
Briha

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:21 pm

Thanks Bhrihaji. Was wondering what wood was that block you gave me? Teak?
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:43 pm

Yes...it was Teak (BT) among the best available in India.
I have used it for my Samurai & Orion AR butts....good grain structure!
Briha
PS> after sanding & finishing if you apply oil the grain stand out...

zombie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by zombie » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:56 am

Nice review Kshitij. Mora is definitely worth every penny. It is a pity that it is not easily available in India. Would make a good reasonably priced knife.
Guns are not evil. Humans are

Savaj Outdoors channel: www.youtube.com/savajoutdoors

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:42 pm

brihacharan wrote:Yes...it was Teak (BT) among the best available in India.
I have used it for my Samurai & Orion AR butts....good grain structure!
Briha
PS> after sanding & finishing if you apply oil the grain stand out...
Ok. Still to do the final detailing and sanding down. Will share image once done :cheers:
zombie wrote:Nice review Kshitij. Mora is definitely worth every penny. It is a pity that it is not easily available in India. Would make a good reasonably priced knife.
Yup. They are far better utility and VFM as compared to Muelas and Gerbers available at the local retailers.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:51 pm

If only MORAS were available
in BORA Bazzar in my city,
I'd lovingly get me a couple
and sit myself pretty!!!!!
Cheers!!!
Briha

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:56 pm

Briahji,
I see Eminem running for cover :mrgreen:

:cheers:
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:13 pm

No review, just another quick update.

The Ontario Old Hickory came without a sheath and I had made one for myself using some leatherette sheet. Unfortunately the material was no match for the knife once you put a keen edge on it. So every time I got the knife in or out of the sheath, I inadvertently ended up slicing the sheath.
Here is what the sheath looked like:
20160212_162201-1-1.jpg
Since i carried this knife for most of my short camping trips and other longer outdoorish trips, a decent sheath was essential. So i started looking for alternatives. Leather was out of question since sourcing good quality leather was difficult and I didnt really want the headache of maintaining the sheath on my go-to, rough use knife. High strength nylon used in bags was an option but sooner or later the knife would eat into it too.
Kydex is in my opinion the most ideal material for knife sheaths. They are far more durable than leather and nylon with little or no maintenance. The guys abroad charge quite a bomb for even simple knife sheaths so the only option was to DIY.
Was able to source a few sheets of Kydex but soon realised making the sheaths wasnt going to be a cake walk (atleast for me). So asked Pratik for a favor and handed him a couple of sheets. A few days later, i received what is in my eyes the best job one could do. The sheaths are nothing less than the professionally made ones and are of high quality and finish. Here are some pictures of his handiwork.
20160212_160501-1.jpg
20160212_161419-1-1.jpg
20160212_160556-1.jpg
20160212_162110-1.jpg
The knife sits snug in the sheath and wont fall out when inverted and jerked out. It takes an intentional tug to get the knife out. There is absolutely no rattles or play once the knife is in the sheath either. The integrated belt loop can be clipped on to any belt with out having to open a worn belt, simply slide it over the belt into place.
All in all this is the perfect sheath i could have for this knife and the value and utility of the knife has definitely improved just by having a better sheath.
Hats off to pratiks talent and hearty thanks for the fantastic sheath he made for me.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:40 pm

Three cheers for Pratik!!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:57 pm

essdee1972 wrote:Three cheers for Pratik!!
Yup. First multi coloured micarta handle scales and now kydex sheaths! :cheers:

Btw, kydex would also make a brilliant alternative to the crappy poor designed handgun holsters available here in India. Bet pratik would do a swell job on those too.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

pratik_mahale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pratik_mahale » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:26 am

kshitij wrote:
essdee1972 wrote:Three cheers for Pratik!!
Yup. First multi coloured micarta handle scales and now kydex sheaths! :cheers:

Btw, kydex would also make a brilliant alternative to the crappy poor designed handgun holsters available here in India. Bet pratik would do a swell job on those too.
Thanks Kshitij for such a fantastic opportunity. I appreciate your faith in my abilities and will certainly do my very best to meet your expectations

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:25 pm

Well done Pratik!!!
Having seen the final job and handled it too, I'd say it looks factory made!!!!
The 'eyelet' type rivets are a novelty too!!!!
Keep it up!!!!!
Briha