Which spring is better - Gsmith or CHerokee

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Which spring is better - Gsmith or CHerokee

Post by snIPer » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:56 pm

Hi,
which spring do you prefer for the IHP and other local ones (old Dianas etc not excluded).

Cherokee or Gsmith.
Reasons please.
Thank you.
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

For Advertising mail webmaster
trammway
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Which spring is better - Gsmith or CHerokee

Post by trammway » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:03 pm

Not sure if this brands are under consideration

1. IHP National (Spinger break barrel, CO2, PCP)
2. Eagle (Springer break barrel, under lever and sidelever)
3. Canon (Springer break barrel)
4. New Diana (Springer break barrel)
5. Tommy (Springer break barrel)
6. IWS (Springer break barrel and Springer pistols)

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:33 pm

Any brand that they can fit into.
/S/

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:42 pm

snIPer wrote:Hi,
which spring do you prefer for the IHP and other local ones (old Dianas etc not excluded).

Cherokee or Gsmith.
Reasons please.
Thank you.
Hi Sniper,
> If you are looking for Indian made springs, you could opt for GSmith-Pune, they make them with imported wires.
> If you want to import them then try either Wolff or OX.
> While changing springs, it is advisable to get your gun tuned + Apex Seal & Adaptor - will give give your weapon more power & accuracy.
Cheers
Brihacharan

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:42 pm

Hi Brihacharan ,
I want to know what is preferred based on usage between Gsmith and Cherokee.

Wolff Springs - If you are referring to it based on a different post then that is related to springs for Pistols / Revolvers and not Air Rifle Main springs.

Please refer this - http://www.gunsprings.com/ Wolff Gunsprings is a manufacturer of precision springs for firearms. We offer recoil springs, hammer springs (mainsprings), magazine springs, .........

There is a thread on OX springs - please check that for more info on it and it is a gun wrecker if not installed properly.

Easiest way to Import a GOOD spring is from www.abairgun.com - I picked up an original crosman Spring real cheap.
Thank you
/S/

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:24 pm

: Which spring is better - Gsmith or CHerokee
by snIPer » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:42 pm

Hi Brihacharan ,
I want to know what is preferred based on usage between Gsmith and Cherokee.

> Hi Sniper,
> GSmith owner is a personal friend of mine. He claims that his springs are made from imported German material and made with German technology, also that it compares favourably with original Diana35 springs.
> These can be fitted in IHP35 22 cal weapons - however Tirths is of the opinion that the ID of GSmith may be 0.5mm to 1mm more than the original IHP spring which is 13mm. Hence fitting of the spring in IHP is critical, to avoid any wobble due to mis-alignment.
> I have no knowledge of Cherokee Springs - Since you have one installed in your weapon - how does it perform?
> TW Chambers UK makes Diana35 Springs (2 types - one for UK specs ie: to deliver 12flbs energy & other for Export Power)
> In-fact I'm expecting one from TW Chambers UK by the end of this month(courtesy a friend) - will let U know after fitting it in my IHP35 22 cal - I'm also changing the seal to Apex Synthetic + adaptor.
> The above changes should upgrade the IHP's fps from the current 600 to atleast 850. Will keep you informed when done about the result.
Cheers
Brihacharan

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:56 pm

Sure,
Thanks for the effort :-)
:cheers:

DAN
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by DAN » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:42 pm

Why not import a ox accelerator and put it in your 35, read it here http://www.airrifleshop.co.uk/Accessories/Springs.htm that it works for diana 35 so should work for ihp 35. Even I'm thinking of buying it if it exceeds 12flb in my ihp 35.anyway even if it gives 12flb, how much fps do we achieve??

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:25 pm

Ox does not have very good reviews around. There are people who say that it is good but then again there are many more who say that it will wreck your gun.

You can calculate foot pounds (ft/lbs) using the below link.
eg -
weight of a .177 pellet = 6.4 grains
FPS = 1000
so ft/lbs is as shown = 14.214641080312722

http://www.theoben.co.uk/pages.php?pageid=5
select the one at the very bottom.

broadway
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by broadway » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:07 pm

Here is how my cherokee looks after 37 days. It was bought from kovibazaar in aug 16 - kovibazaar.com/spares/springs/cherokee-spring-model-35

The other day I took my rifle out of its resting corner and tried cocking it but couldn't hear the coking sound. Immediately I got alerted and paused. Didn't bring the barrel up. I slowly started moving the rifle to point at a safe spot but the gun went off. There was no pellet so it dry fired. Since the barrel was down, the piston jerked it right up and I think that saved the piston seal from smashing against the wall and getting destroyed.

Sometime in the night, while the rifle was resting, the cherokee spring gave away and broke. Obviously, I don't keep it cocked if anyone wondered. :evil: Clearly, the spring had enough steel and very little carbon.
P61004-133202.jpg
P61004-133311.jpg
P61004-133512.jpg
P61004-133817.jpg
P61004-133834.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:44 pm

My gd 600 had the similar experience with cherokee spring. it broke down after approx four weeks & 250 pellets. i again brought the same spring but had to cut the spring down to 30 coils ,the full length of the spring gave too bad shooting experience. but now that i have changed the spring, the piston rotates after every shot , so much that the gun cannot be cocked as the cocking lever and the slot in the piston are not in line. i will never buy a cherokee again, only gsnith, but can anyone tell me why is the piston rotating and what can be done to prevent it?

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:03 pm

broadway wrote:Here is how my cherokee looks after 37 days. It was bought from kovibazaar in aug 16 - kovibazaar.com/spares/springs/cherokee-spring-model-35

The other day I took my rifle out of its resting corner and tried cocking it but couldn't hear the coking sound. Immediately I got alerted and paused. Didn't bring the barrel up. I slowly started moving the rifle to point at a safe spot but the gun went off. There was no pellet so it dry fired. Since the barrel was down, the piston jerked it right up and I think that saved the piston seal from smashing against the wall and getting destroyed.

Sometime in the night, while the rifle was resting, the cherokee spring gave away and broke. Obviously, I don't keep it cocked if anyone wondered. :evil: Clearly, the spring had enough steel and very little carbon.
Was the spring under heavy preloaded? Did you set it before firing? Was it canted/too loose on the guide?

In any case the manufacturing process of Cherokee looks to be the culprit to me...

estousandy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by estousandy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:36 pm

sam 47 wrote:but can anyone tell me why is the piston rotating and what can be done to prevent it?
The spring twist is normal but it shouldn't take the piston along with it. Use a lubed SS washer at spring guide end to prevent this.
with guns we are citizens, without we are subjects

ganeshn
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ganeshn » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:26 am

sam 47 wrote:My gd 600 had the similar experience with cherokee spring. it broke down after approx four weeks & 250 pellets. i again brought the same spring but had to cut the spring down to 30 coils ,the full length of the spring gave too bad shooting experience. but now that i have changed the spring, the piston rotates after every shot , so much that the gun cannot be cocked as the cocking lever and the slot in the piston are not in line. i will never buy a cherokee again, only gsnith, but can anyone tell me why is the piston rotating and what can be done to prevent it?
cottage industry products, the piston rod is brass welded and it too rough and uneven so that causes the spring to bite in at high spots as its much harder material, this explains the torque.to effectively remove any washer will not do u need lubed stainless steel washers at both ends.cherokee spring is aggressively heat treated so breaks easily, go for the GSmith is really good and properly squared.

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:57 am

Dear broadway,
Cherokee is well known for its breaking.
I hate this spring because it rattles the gun completely.
They make two springs 27 and 35.
The 27 is rather better than 35.
BTW , I must tell you that harder spring does not increase power always ,it may go other way as well.
You can use the longer part of the broken spring after grinding the end properly.
May use 1-2 spacers to increase preload as per requirement.

I never received good grouping with this spring ever.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............