powerful airguns

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:18 pm

Shahid,

What is the Bushranger compressor used for and how much pressure (in BAR or PSI) can it put out?

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
shahid

Post by shahid » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:31 pm

We use it( BUSHRANGER - MAXAIR ) to inflate our tyres ( of our Landcruisers ) when we come out on tarmac road from the desert every weekend. It inflates a tyre from 15 psi to 30 psi in 90 seconds. Delivery is 70 litres per minute and it can output upto 500 psi. In fact even more because in Australia they use it to fill up their air tanks and then drive power tools from it, say a wrench to open the lugs of your wheels while changing tyres.

The divers also use it to fill air tanks. Available in Dubai, Ace Hardware for Dhs. 499 or Rs. 6,300.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:11 pm

Thanks, Shahid.

I like the sound of this Bushranger, especially the bit about divers filling their SCUBA tanks with it. Is there a different version for the SCUBA tanks?

500 psi just isn't good enough. Most PCPs are filled to atleast 200 BAR or approximately 2900 psi.

Mack The Knife

mehulkamdar

Re: powerful airguns

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:58 am

Friends,

I have heard that a US magazine tested the new Gamo Hunter Extreme air rifle in .177 with Gamo's Raptor PBA alloy pellets and found that the combination performed exactly as Gamo claimed - 1600 fps velocities. No idea how this compares with other brands etc but suggested retail for these air rifles with a Gamo scope in the US is around $ 520 and this means that your friendly neighbourhood dealer should be able to give you about $ 100 to 150 off this price.

With Gamo's Hunter lead pellets the little air rifle did 1200 fps.

There are NRA discounts though I do not know what they are. If someone is in the USA and wants to buy one of these just contact an NRA member here and check.

Over to the experts here to calculate what this performance really means.

Cheers!

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:07 am

I have no personal experience of airguns that can make their pellets go supersonic but I would be worried because every time a pellet goes from transonic to supersonic and then back through the transonic phase would it not destabilise?

Mack The Knife

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:35 am

Rusty you took the words right outta my mouth.
I had read that is a problem with the Webley Patriot in the .177 cal.

Yaj.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:14 pm

Yaj,

I hate to say this but many highly experienced shooters in the U.K. do not rate the Patriot highly in any calibre.

You seem to be happy with yours though, so I would request you once again to put your thoughts on this rifle in the airgun section.

Someone I know in Bangalore got a new one a couple of years ago and I forwarded word to him to be careful using a scope with this rifle. He did not listen and the scope was knackered soon thereafter. Did not group too well with open sights either.

The only person, at least that I know off, who has been able to tame this rifle is Russ Best in the U.S.. He used to tune them. Probably still does.

Mack The Knife

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:18 pm

I'm sure you are right Rusty! In fact I had read the same when I had looked up the model.But as i had mentioned earlier I had never done any formal shooting and just general plinking.The rifle seems pretty accurate and generally hit what I'm trying to hit :lol:
My knowledge of guns is fairly rudimentary so i cannot give a scholarly opinion I'm afraid. I had tried it on a few outings even with the open sights and it seemed very accurate.Later I fitted a generic japanese scope bought from dubai ( 3x9 50) with an original Webley recommended mount since I had heard it is rough on scopes.
Good enough to hit a mouse/rat at 100 feet with regular consistency, I'm afraid I've not tried groupings on paper :oops:

I'm afraid I may be like the guy who thinks his Tata Sumo is awesome till he sits in a Merc.
Yaj.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:45 pm

You never know, Yaj.

You may have a good 'un. After all, I don't think I have read reports about Patriots in .25 calibre. Whch pellets are you using?

Mack The Knife

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:13 am

Mack The Knife Bana";p="11927 wrote:I have no personal experience of airguns that can make their pellets go supersonic but I would be worried because every time a pellet goes from transonic to supersonic and then back through the transonic phase would it not destabilise?

Mack The Knife
Mack The Knife,

You're the airgun guru here. DO you realistically expect me to answer the finer points of that question? :lol: I just read the review while a BArnes and Noble and reported it here. BTW the Gamo website claims that their new PBA alloy is especially tailored to ultra high (for air rifle) velocities. Not having any personal experience with either the GAmo airguns or with their PBA pellets, I don't want to comment beyond what I have read.

If you want me to order the PBA pellets and send you a pack if someone is returning to India for you to try, just let me know. Be glad to do it, anytime.

Cheers!

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:21 am

Hi Mehul,

It was more of a general question rather than just airgun related.

Frankly, I think some airgun manufacturers are conning the public with their "It's a magnum and will send the pellet out at 1000 + ft./sec., blah, blah, blah...."

Sure. Do send a tin of these PBA pellets. Do not know if they will suit my rifles but I always keep a selection at hand for others to try. Thanks.

Mack The Knife

P.S.: Here's hoping Inder remembers to bring the gunsmithing book in 40 minutes from now. My bet is he will have forgotten about it. :mrgreen:

Mack The Knife

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:24 am

Mack The Knife,

Regarding trans-sonic grouping, this seems similar to what is experienced when sighting in shotguns with slugs. With shotguns, it is reconmmended that you sight them in at 25 yards, so that the slugs have not become trans-sonic yet.

I suspect you could shoot groups at increasing yardage and see when they start opening up. I would also imagine the manufacturer should have the ballistic coefficient of the pellets printed somewhere, and if you accurately measure the muzzle velocity you can figure out what distance they go trans-sonic. Someone like sierra or speer has a ballistics calculator on their website that can predict this, and it also figures out trajectory, I don't remember where it is but I'll look in my old bookmarks to see if it is there somewhere.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:17 am

Mack The Knife Bana";p="11991 wrote:Sure. Do send a tin of these PBA pellets. Do not know if they will suit my rifles but I always keep a selection at hand for others to try. Thanks.

Mack The Knife
Will order them rightaway. Please let me know when someone is travelling from here to India. My pleasure to send them, buddy,

Mehul

shahid

Post by shahid » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:16 pm

Experiece with Gamo Raptor.

Very light 5.1 grain pellets in . 177

Centred dead accurate at 10m. 20 m 1/2 inch high. 30 meters 1/4 inch high

50 metres again 1/2 inch high.

Rifle - Diana Model 68, rated 1000 fps with lead pellets.

I understand this raptor had a Muzzle velocity of 1350 fps. Tried 8 to 10 shots in all.

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:03 pm

mehulkamdar";p="12000 wrote: Will order them rightaway. Please let me know when someone is travelling from here to India. My pleasure to send them, buddy,

Mehul
And what about the Gamo you were comtemplating getting about a year back ?? :wink: You can do some serious hunting like this ! as shown in the Gamo advertisement

Some of the points of the new Raptor pellet have answered by BB Pelletier. This blog also says that Gamo Hunter Extreme is the re-named version of Gamo Hunter ( which claims 1250 fps).

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2006/04/ ... art-2.html

Mack The Knife, what do you have to say about the effect on spring (which is supposed to deliver 1250 fps ) if using a pellet of only 5 grains ?
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.