Which Airgun

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Hi Kanwar

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:09 pm

panks wrote:Theo's are not available here.
I must be dreaming then :oops: :mrgreen:

Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

For Advertising mail webmaster
mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:17 am

Panks,

NY, MJ and MI are three states that require you to buy an air rifle from a dealer not by mail order. That is why mail order companies cannot deliver to your door in these states like they do in the rest of the USA. The reason for this is simple - in this country whether you buy a BB gun for a 5 year old kid or a Quackenbush air rifle in 50 calibre for shooting wild boar, they are non firearms. Some states need to keep records for this specific reason and hence this regulation.

Gander Mountain etc would sell you ANY air rifle across the counter in NY, NJ or anywhere else as long as you have ID - usually a driver's license or similar proof of age and residency is all that is needed.

As far as flying with guns is concerned, it is simple - if you let your dealer check your gun in as unaccompanied baggage on your flight ticket it is no problem at all. If you try doing it yourself it could be a headache. As always there are procedures and following them helps. Ignorance of rules and procedures is no excuse. Instead of complaining afterwards it would not have hurt your cousin to check regulations first.

Mehul

panks
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

hi mehul

Post by panks » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:11 pm

point taken, but even if you follow the rules abroad, what do you do with the chaps on our side, i mean indian customs.

that in itself is a crazy exercise. I had taken a Webley FX 2000 a year and a half ago and the guys at customs thought it was a 12bore gun. They couldnt believe that the thicker pipe was for air. How do you explain to those idiots and there was no way I could fill air at the airport and show it to them. Finally, I called a friend of mine who is also in mumbai customs and he got it cleared.

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Which Airgun

Post by jonahpach » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:34 pm

Thats what I am worried about Panks. Any advise regarding how to get through the Indian customs would be much appreciated. Also the arms act ammendment rules document as posted in the former indiansforguns at yahoo groups only mentions .177 calibre. What about .22?
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Which Airgun

Post by Sujay » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:13 pm

jonahpach wrote: former indiansforguns at yahoo groups only mentions .177 calibre. What about .22?

0.177 allowed by post/courier import

0.22 allowed in under baggage rules in addition to 0.177
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

panks
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

imports

Post by panks » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:15 pm

hi jonah,
i see many posts here that mention everything in theory about import by post. It would be really helpful to start a discussion chain, where we get to know how many ppl have actually imported it by post and what did they go through. It will be really helpful. In theory everything is OK.

Try getting a laptop and a high end digicam thru indian customs and you will know what you go thru, leave alone airguns.

I am really interested to know, how many people have actually imported airguns after the amended rules.

I only read the mentions of ameneded rules but i have never heard of ppl actually importing it, besides just one story of the Devjyoti Barooah.

Cheers

panks
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Sujoy

Post by panks » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:23 pm

Hi Sujoy,
have you imported any airgun thru post or courier, please share your live experience

thanks

panks
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

hi mehul

Post by panks » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:41 pm

Hi Mehul,

Just want to check if you have brought in any firearm into india thru TR or whatever. Experience is most welcome

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: imports

Post by Sujay » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:49 pm

panks wrote:hi jonah,

Try getting a laptop and a high end digicam thru indian customs and you will know what you go thru, leave alone airguns.

I am really interested to know, how many people have actually imported airguns after the amended rules.

I only read the mentions of ameneded rules but i have never heard of ppl actually importing it, besides just one story of the Devjyoti Barooah.

Cheers
About a week back my cousin based in Nigeria walked through Mumbai customs with both a Nikon SLR and a Laptop without any fuss. The same guy landed in big time trouble at the same airport when bringing in ivory decoratives from his boss; about a year back.

I know about a guy who imported a FWB and was made to run around because the customs misinterpreted the notifiction. They interpreted 'duty' being made free and not the 'air rifle import'.

The problem which we face is the all round corruption which is not limited to importing an air rifle. For example, if you ask for the experience of people who applied for arms licence, you will get feedbacks of extreme harrassment. But that does not make getting arms licence in India a 'theory' only. Similarly anybody trying to import air rifles through courier would face trouble but the rule exists in its scope.

Dev did not import using his club membership. Also , I have heard of similar feats twice in Chennai and Mumbai but those guys were made to pay duty unlike as in the case of Dev.

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Sujoy

Post by Sujay » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:08 pm

panks wrote:Hi Sujoy,
have you imported any airgun thru post or courier, please share your live experience

thanks
Hi Pankaj,

I haven't bought anything of that sort but after reading about Dev's exploits was a bit tempted to experiment with a Chinese Airgun and was
deterred by high postage costs. Besides, I don't have any club membership to my rescue in emergency.

Trying to get a thing in India though :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Which Airgun

Post by jonahpach » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:17 pm

hello Sujoy

chinese airguns .22 with folding stock aka Ak-47 model are available in Aizawl for about 6000.

Jonah

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Which Airgun

Post by Sujay » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:14 pm

jonahpach wrote:hello Sujoy

chinese airguns .22 with folding stock aka Ak-47 model are available in Aizawl for about 6000.

Jonah
Thanks Jonah.

I prefer the ones with normal stock. Are some other models available ?
Any airguns of other makes ( if ) ?

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:59 am

on other type i am afraid. Stocked ones are availble sometimes but quite rare.