Air Shot gun

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Air Shot gun

Post by kanwar76 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:21 pm

I was just browsing cabela's and look what I’ve found. A airshot gun which takes no:9 lead shot filled shells and according to the review its a good flying bird tool (if the reviewer know what he is talking about). Something for us gun starved people with no shotgun licenses. It can be converted to shoot .22 pellets also with the help on an adapter so does that means that it will be having rifled barrel :? . Price of the gun is okay but ammo looks a bit expensive but if it can be reloaded again then its okay. I don't know if anybody’ve used it yet but would love to read a few reviews.

But just thinking on a different note I wonder how customs guys will react to a box full of what seams like shotgun cartridges..

Here the link to cabelas http://www.cabelas.com/hprod-1/0040376.shtml

Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

For Advertising mail webmaster
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Air Shot gun

Post by Grumpy » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:40 am

Ideal for shooting Sparrows at 10 yards perhaps. .22 rimfire shotshells - which are loaded with No 11 shot - are pretty hopeless so how good is this going to be ? A couple of grammes of No 9s at 600fps isn`t going to compare with an ounce plus of shot at 1150-1450fps.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:06 am

Inder,

The gun in question is available cheaper from Gamo through their NRA membership program and I'd be happy to order it for you if you want me to. In the past, my friends and I have taken empty shotshells to India on several occasions with no trouble at all - on one occasion while returning from Moscow I had a whole suitcase full of them for a friend. Never reloaded myself, so I had little use other than to give them to people who had use for them. There never was a problem.

That said, as Grumpy points out, low power may be a problem to look at though the gun itself may be designed for quietly ridding gardens of pests and little else because virtually every city in the US bans the discharge of firearms within city limits.

Just check out www.gamousa.com and look under the NRA member discounts for various guns. If I remember right, there was also an Indonesian or Filipino company that made somthing very similar to this Gamo product in years past. I have never seen or shot one of them though.

Cheers,

Mehul

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:39 am

One of the American air rifle manufacturers used to offer an air-shotgun....Crosman I`m pretty sure. Was reckoned to be `interesting` but of little use outside a small garden. Looked great though - more like a real shotgun.
Sorry to be such a killjoy but the difference between a shotgun proper and an air shotgun is likely to be far greater than the difference between say, a .22 lr and a .22 air rifle. A .22 air rifle is going to be a lot more useful to you - and more effective.
- And anyway, what have you got against the Sparrows in your back garden ?

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:44 pm

Hi Mehul, Grumpy

I am not planning to buy his gun. I was a bit curious after reading the review at Cabelas but I had my doubt that’s why I posted it here. Just wanted views of you experts :) . I think this gun can only be a ratting tool. Thanks for the offer Mehul but if i get something from US it will be a decent air gun like TX200 or Prosport nothing less.

Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:27 am

Here's a Video review I found... looks impressive!

http://airgundepot.com/gaviexshvire.html

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:19 pm

good one, conty.
the Viper express sounds good considering Indian arms laws but, is a little too expensive.for $200 we could pick up a shaktimaan double barrel 12g here.
btw, I did find the adapter(at the breach) interesting.could an adapter like that be used to shoot a .22 centerfire on a 12g??
Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:38 pm

There are commercially available adaptors that allow the use of sub-gauge calibres in shotguns - ie a .410 shell in a 12-Bore - including ones that allow the use of a .22lr in shotguns.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:51 pm

including ones that allow the use of a .22lr in shotguns.
Grumpy,

Does that mean that the bore centre of the conversion unit will be slightly off-centre with respect to the centre of the shotgun bore?

Mack The Knife

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:55 pm

grumpy,
are they all like the one in the video clip?
pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:02 pm

Good question Mack The Knife. The .22 lr converters are slightly off-centre of- course because the firing pin has to hit the rim of the cartridge, not the centre. Doesn`t matter because the .22 bullet doesn`t use the shotgun barrel ( obviously ) and the converters have a short rifled barrel. The sub-gauge shotgun converters are centred as per normal and use the original barrel.
Pran, these converters are similar to that air shotgun converter but obviously intended for use in full-bore shotguns so are a different size and fit. The air-shotgun converters are much more cheaply made as they don`t have to handle the pressures involved with a .22lr.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:30 am

Pran";p="7125 wrote:good one, conty.
the Viper express sounds good considering Indian arms laws but, is a little too expensive.for $200 we could pick up a shaktimaan double barrel 12g here.
btw, I did find the adapter(at the breach) interesting.could an adapter like that be used to shoot a .22 centerfire on a 12g??
Pran

Pran,

For an airgun its pretty cheap. Air arms starts from $548 in US and HW around $450. So as a half decent gun comparing to AA and HW its priced APT and talking about prices of Airguns in INDIA. Nothing costs less than 30K in INDIA.

How much Shaktiman is costing right now? I don't think its around 9K is it?

-Inder

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:06 am

kanwar76";p="7167 wrote:
Pran";p="7125 wrote:good one, conty.
Pran

Pran,

For an airgun its pretty cheap. Air arms starts from $548 in US and HW around $450. So as a half decent gun comparing to AA and HW its priced APT and talking about prices of Airguns in INDIA. Nothing costs less than 30K in INDIA.

How much Shaktiman is costing right now? I don't think its around 9K is it?

-Inder
Inder,
I am unaware of prices in the US.A twin barrel 12g from shaktimaan costs close to INR 15k(poor arithmetic in the last post :) ).a single barrel would be much cheaper.btw, muzzle loaders cost around INR 6k-7k.
Pran

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:55 pm

Does anyone know if I can carry 'shotshells' for this air shotgun easily with me if I am flying to India?!?

Amit

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.