IZH Baikal for ten m

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

IZH Baikal for ten m

Post by dev » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:49 pm

Those of you who have one, what do you think of it for ten m. I have been practising with mine off and on and a lot of shooters will say that you need to use a steyr, morini etc. My pistol will normally shoot the same if I do my bit and several times, even better.

The only thing that i find is that it is tad heavier. I know its great for metal targets and all with a red dot but I plan to use it for ten m. So what do you guys think?

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:01 pm

Never owned one but have shot one and I find the trigger lets the pistol down. The grips definitely need re-fitting to one's hand and I think the muzzle velocity could do with some poke.

If you can shoot 555/600 consistently then I would say you are doing well.

There used to be one Russian, friend of Mikhail Nestruev, who used to do pretty well with this pistol.

Mack The Knife

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: IZH Baikal for ten m

Post by jonahpach » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:42 pm

Since I tried your Baikal Dev, I think I should make a comment. I just loved the Baikal but for competetive shooting I think the need to manually pump the gun after every shot lets one down. I believe it would be very difficult to establish a difinite 'arc of movement'. Ofcourse Sergeveych (whoever that Russian was) proved this could be overcome by winning a Gold in an international competetion with the baikal! But I think its a very tall order. Also the physical exertion and strain required to pump the gun would be a very big negative factor when one is competing with top shooters for a long duration.
But we Indians have proved that lack of facilities/equipments can be overcome with a little extra perseverance and luck. I do believe one could reach the nationals with this babe!
Good luck!

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: IZH Baikal for ten m

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:26 pm

I don't entirely agree with Jonah and many of the current crop of shooters on this point.

Single stroke pneumatics and spring piston airguns do not take that much effort to cock and I suggest that anyone who cannot cope with 60+ cocking cycles is a ruddy wimp of the first water.

A couple of years back at the Pan-American Games, a Cuban girl won the 10 metre gold. When Scott Pilkington (of Pilkguns and Target Talk fame) checked this girl's rifle, he saw that it was a rusted FWB 601 single stroke pneumatic. If you do a search on TT you can even see the pics. Bear in mind she was shooting against people with the latest and greatest.

Where a pcp is a decided boon is if you shoot 3-Position 10 metre matches because you don't have to break your position to cock the rifle.

In the past people have shot scores with non-pcp airguns that still cannot be equalled by the vast majority even today. How do you explain that?

I had a FWB 103 single stroke pneumatic air-pistol which I sold in favour of the Steyr LP10, not because of the cocking effort required but because I did not get along with the trigger and wanted something whose velocity Icould fine tune to the pellet being used.

I do believe one could reach the nationals with this babe!
With ease and then some - provided you can get that bloody trigger and grip worked on.

Mack The Knife

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:44 am

Hi Guys,

Truth be told that Mac1 had tuned the trigger very well. But after the Delhi State and what not happened with the ref I added more resistance to it. I have worked the grip a bit and it fits well. My last score was 515 and not 550 yet but then I haven't really dedicated myself to the pistol for a while.
And Jonah...tee hee..I just discovered that we were doing two movements wrong. Actually all that you have to do is push the lever all the way forward and the pistol cocks and opens the loading gate. After learning this my per shot speed has become a little faster and less tiresome. I guess I need to practise more with the hogs leg ;-).

Regards,

Dev
Mack The Knife Bana";p="5758 wrote: I don't entirely agree with Jonah and many of the current crop of shooters on this point.

Single stroke pneumatics and spring piston airguns do not take that much effort to cock and I suggest that anyone who cannot cope with 60+ cocking cycles is a ruddy wimp of the first water.

A couple of years back at the Pan-American Games, a Cuban girl won the 10 metre gold. When Scott Pilkington (of Pilkguns and Target Talk fame) checked this girl's rifle, he saw that it was a rusted FWB 601 single stroke pneumatic. If you do a search on TT you can even see the pics. Bear in mind she was shooting against people with the latest and greatest.

Where a pcp is a decided boon is if you shoot 3-Position 10 metre matches because you don't have to break your position to cock the rifle.

In the past people have shot scores with non-pcp airguns that still cannot be equalled by the vast majority even today. How do you explain that?

I had a FWB 103 single stroke pneumatic air-pistol which I sold in favour of the Steyr LP10, not because of the cocking effort required but because I did not get along with the trigger and wanted something whose velocity Icould fine tune to the pellet being used.

I do believe one could reach the nationals with this babe!
With ease and then some - provided you can get that bloody trigger and grip worked on.

Mack The Knife
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.