ribbed pellets

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

ribbed pellets

Post by dev » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:13 pm

In my desperate bid to find a decent pellet for my QB, i am wondering about the the domed high impact pellets by gsmith and co.
I remember the high impacts we used to get earlier and being about 9 grains they worked well with my Crosman pumper. Any idea on ribbed pellets Mack The Knife?

Have saturday to redeem my earlier groups, have taken the scope off and at home the off hand groups seem much smaller. The manual states 0.50 ctc with decent pellets.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:38 pm

Dev,

Why don't you use the H&N Finale Match that the 10metre crowd uses?

Remember to clean the bore and then re-lead the bore with about 10 to 20 shots before shooting for a group.
The manual states 0.50 ctc with decent pellets.
At what range and how many shots per group?

Ribbed pellets aren't too bad. I used to use Eley Wasp 5.6mm exclusively in my Venom HW80K and have recorded a ten shot group measuring approximately 1/4" x 3/4" at 50 metres (54+ yards) from a very basic bench.

No idea about the G. Smiths though. You will have to try them in your rifle to see if they suit it.

I don't consider G. Smiths to be very consistent, so the only way you would get consistency from them is to batch them by weight and head (dia of driving band) size.

Mack The Knife

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: ribbed pellets

Post by Mark » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:02 am

Dev,

Pardon my ignorance but can you tell me what velocity your gun is shooting, and also the twist rate of the barrel if you know it?
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:34 am

Hi Mark and Mack The Knife,

The ctc written in the manual is at 10m. I will have to check the twist rate for you Mark, I am sorry I don't remember it off hand.

Okay Mack The Knife I did clean the bore and will do some open sights or iron sights shooting today at the range, I have some Crosman wadcutters at hand, lets see if that'll make a diff. I need to pick up HN match after renewing my DSRA membership this weekend.

I will try to get a cousin to get me some Crosman premiers if possible in the 10.5 grain weight. The rifle is tuned to shoot at 700fps by the manufacturer but I think it is doing more by my own penetration tests on detergent bars and all. I don't have access to a chrony.

Thanks so much for your tips I will insert next groups.

Regards,

Dev

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:30 pm

Dev,

8 to 8.5 grain pellets should work well even if yours is doing 900 ft./sec.. A 10.5 grain pellet may be a bit much if all yours is doing is 750 to 800 ft./sec.. However, if it suits the rifle stick to it.

Mack The Knife

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:08 pm

Roger on the 8.5 grain pellet. I had thought of the heavier ones without really thinking. Thanks for the tip.

Regards,

Dev
Mack The Knife Bana";p="5137 wrote: Dev,

8 to 8.5 grain pellets should work well even if yours is doing 900 ft./sec.. A 10.5 grain pellet may be a bit much if all yours is doing is 750 to 800 ft./sec.. However, if it suits the rifle stick to it.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:24 pm

Dev,

Just shot a 3 shot 10-metre group with a FWB 700 today.

The position was awkward - kneeling on the ground with the rifle resting in my hands which in turn were supported by a low and shaky table and got this.

Mind you, the group was shot soon after we cleaned the bore, so it hadn't had time to lead-in.

Actually there is nothing great about this group considering the rifle's pedigre. It should actually have been just one perfect hole. However, what if I tell you I can replicate this group with a recoiling FAC powered spring-piston air-rifle at 25 yards? That's assuming I do my bit and from a slightly steadier rest and with a scope ofcourse.

Such groups will only take place when you find the right pellet that suits your rifle. Otherwise, one end's up with patterns rather than groups. So look for that perfect pellet for your QB. I will rustle up a selection from what I have at hand.

Mack The Knife

horribleharshad
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by horribleharshad » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:48 pm

Mr. Mack The Knife, was the rifle adjusted to your settings or just shot it offhand like that? A little OT but maybe it was just a little bad luck. Did you try repeating that performance?

Sometimes, things just come together and groups , well they just happen :oops: . Every 100 - 120 shots or so, I can get that kind of 5 shot group with an n25, standing albeit with a jacket and trousers. Its almost never in the center and then i can suddenly make a 2" group or maybe a washout. So that group is only meaningful, if you could do it again. Of course, I have a rather limited kind of experience, and might be putting my foot where my mouth is. :oops:
Sic Transit Gloria!

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:41 pm

Mr. Mack The Knife, was the rifle adjusted to your settings or just shot it offhand like that? A little OT but maybe it was just a little bad luck. Did you try repeating that performance?
Harshad, it was adjusted for someone else. As mentioned in the post, it was shot rested (of sorts) in the open (on the terrace) and not free hand.

Such a group could be easily bettered - repeatedly. This was one of the groups shot whilst trying to zero the rifle.

No such thing as bad luck with such a rifle - only bad shooting.

Mack The Knife

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:06 pm

Hi Mack The Knife,

That's a dream group boss. I have shot such a group probably once in years (told ya I'm a lousy shot).
Okay on Sunday managed to get wife and all banished to Lajpat Nagar alongwith nephew(that'll teach him to tug at me trouser just as I'm squeezing a shot off). I actually got a chance to try the QB out at 25-30m. First four shots went right hand side corner on the white of your standard ten m pistol target. So I gave the scope some 32 clicks to the left. Next fourshots went extreme left corner. I now remembered that it took less clicks to zero in at a greater distance and so I now added another 16 clicks to the right. Now the shots started to fall into the six o'clock of the black. Now I did some clicks up. Okay I was shooting seated on my butt(did you know that crab grass has a thorny side) with my elbows supported on the knee. Now the five shots groups started to cluster within less than half an inch. I was using Crosman match pellets which are on the lowest rung of match pellets but they were still superior to marvellous. In all I shot a bout 35 pellets with the last two groups seeming more like an ideal set. After this I spent two hours trying to post the pics of the QB with its effcts on a sardine can. And an article titled," If you can't get a license for a .22". But the darn home comp just screwed things up and after writing the article twice I gave up. I will do another target this weekend and post pics about the 25-30 m groups. I plan to shoot some prone. The noise outside with the QB is quite okay unlikely to give the neighbours a reason to complain. I left the shroud alone cause the crack noise wasn't that loud as it was windy.

Regards,

Dev.
P.S. also went and practised with my IZH at the range but after 40 pellets I get tired and start shooting all over. Till then I was keeping the lowest score as an 8.
Mack The Knife Bana";p="5165 wrote: Dev,

Just shot a 3 shot 10-metre group with a FWB 700 today.

The position was awkward - kneeling on the ground with the rifle resting in my hands which in turn were supported by a low and shaky table and got this.

Mind you, the group was shot soon after we cleaned the bore, so it hadn't had time to lead-in.

Actually there is nothing great about this group considering the rifle's pedigre. It should actually have been just one perfect hole. However, what if I tell you I can replicate this group with a recoiling FAC powered spring-piston air-rifle at 25 yards? That's assuming I do my bit and from a slightly steadier rest and with a scope ofcourse.

Such groups will only take place when you find the right pellet that suits your rifle. Otherwise, one end's up with patterns rather than groups. So look for that perfect pellet for your QB. I will rustle up a selection from what I have at hand.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:03 pm

Dev,

Have you considered shooting groups from the QB78 from a padded vice?

You will need a solid base that doesn't budge even a fraction of a millimetre.

If you can rig up something like that you would actually be able to test the rifle-pellet potential for what it is really worth.

Mack The Knife

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:12 pm

I actually haven't really pushed this rifle because I hadn't got the hang of it myself. But from this week I shall be able to do better as I have found a place to shoot it. I am planning to buy a vice (small one) for my general tinkering. Let's see what I can then rig up. But let me check out this guys groupds prone or with a padded rest (beanbag). I think it will reveal quite a bit.

Regards,

Dev

Mack The Knife Bana";p="5736 wrote: Dev,

Have you considered shooting groups from the QB78 from a padded vice?

You will need a solid base that doesn't budge even a fraction of a millimetre.

If you can rig up something like that you would actually be able to test the rifle-pellet potential for what it is really worth.

Mack The Knife