Morini VS Steyr

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
ssshooter
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Morini VS Steyr

Post by ssshooter » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:47 am

Dear all,

Just looking for your views on which pistol is better the Morini 162 EI or the Steyr LP 10, and why??? And which one is used by most shooters in the olympics???? Any ideas??

Thanks
-Shivam

For Advertising mail webmaster
sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Morini VS Steyr

Post by sat » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:26 am

They are both excellent air pistols, ended up buying the LP10, fitted my large hand better, I could not push the trigger further enough away from the grip in the morini to have the ideal trigger finger contact, I guess a offset trigger would have solved this. The trigger is superb in the morini, the LP10 has a slight advantage of the internal stabiliser, creating a motionless discharge.

LP10 manual - link

LP10 brochure

LP10 silver - photo

LP10 black - photo

Morini CM 162 EI - website

morini 162 - manual

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:37 am

I voted with my wallet and bought the Steyr LP10.

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:32 am

I voted with my wallet and bought the Steyr LP10.
Now that it's up on sale does it mean that you have 'unvoted'? :mrgreen:

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:09 pm

No, it means I am skint. ;)

Now buzz off and let the lad have his thread back.

steyrshot
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by steyrshot » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:58 pm

Having shot extensively with both a Morini (electronic trigger) and the LP 10 ... my personal preference would undoubtedly go to the LP 10, its in a class of its own which is why most top shooters swear by it.

but from a technical point heres a few advantages the LP 10 has over the Morini:

1) Steyr grip is adjustable for rake and cant, morini electronic is fixed.

2) 3 Ported barrel vent compensators reduce recoil, Morini compensator at the barrel tip isnt as effective.

3) Steys internal self adjusting recoil absorbing bolt is unique, no other pistol has it, yes Feinwerkbau incorporates a similar system but it has to be manually tuned and my earlier FWB P40 needed adjustments all the time sometimes 2-3 times in a match as pressure in the main cylinder fell.

3) Steyr muzzle brake incorporates a black internal deflector screen not available in the Morini, (one of their top gunsmiths explained the concept of this to me once ... as he said ... the idea of this deflector screen is to further improve accuracy and consistent pellet throw by the air pistol. It works on the simple concept that as the pellet travels up the barrel and exits the muzzle it is still carrying some back pressure from the propellant gas travelling behind it ... as the pellet enters the internal deflector whatever air behind it has nowhere to go but to the sides and gets fed into the muzzle brake area ... long story short the deflector helps remove most of any residual gas immediately behind the pellet and thus theres nothing to shift the pellets flight.

:shock: im sure i could have explained that better ... but you get the idea.

This is not to say that the Morini is worse than the LP 10 ... indeed some of the features in the Morini are unmatched ...

1) It is universally acknowledged by most shooters that Morinis electronic trigger is unmatched for feel and shot release ... it doesnt get any better.

2) Dry firing practice with the Morini is also much more convenient and as some shooters dry fire by firing two shots (one to simulate the actual shot and the second to train your self to stay on hold and check any movements caused by a faulty trigger action), many people swear that dry firing with a Morini helps much more than any other pistol.

3) Morinis unique low pressure lock ensures you never fire a shot if the cylinder pressure has dropped below that needed to accurately fire a shot, this a feature youd love to have if your running around with two half empty cylinders 10 mins before a match because the organizers think having 2-3 large filling cylinders will be enough for 300 plus shooters over 4 days lol.

Again all this comes down to the individual shooters preference and approach, some like feeling a bit of recoil and get used to it, some dont, some like a crisp electronic trigger some find it to abrupt and prefer the mechanical trigger of the LP 10. As i said its very personal and in the end it comes down to the individual shooter.

My advice try both, most people instantly like or dislike a particular pistol and 30 -40 shots from each will tell you a lot.

PS : Just one small note on electronic triggers in Indian shooting conditions, the dust, moisture and dampness we encounter can be a problem if you dont take care of your pistol ( BE CAREFUL when moving in and out of air conditioned shooting ranges in summer), and a failed circuit is not a simple thing to repair in India.
With regards,
Steyrshot
And he lifted his pistol as the crowds cheered ... the sights sharpened ... the target blurred ... the finger squeezed ... DAMN !!! forgot to load the silly thing again :oops: ... The crowd now looks the other way ... I wake up from my Nightmare !!! :D

ssshooter
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ssshooter » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:21 pm

Thanx alot to all of you. What I get from all this is that the most speacial thing about the Steyr LP 10 is its recoil absorbtion and the best part of the Morini is the Electronic trigger mechanism.

Well will try the LP 10 As soon as I can :)

Ashish9909
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Ashish9909 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:36 pm

Any one having price idea for the both Steyr LP10 and Morini 162EI in india....?
Best Regards,

Ashish Arora
+919876252200

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:09 pm

STEYR LP 10 E is also coming now with electronic trigger and grip made by Morini ... so I would say go for Steyr

price about usd 2500
It was a huge success again for STEYR at the World Cup Final in Wuxi/China:

5 out of 6 medals - gold and silver at the men's air pistol competition, gold, silver and bronze at the women's air pistol competition.

But there was a real sensation as well: Men's gold was achieved by the current world record holder, the Korean shooter Jong Oh JIN, with his brand-new LP 10 E with electronic trigger!

We are not surprised, but delighted to see, that our confidence and belief to have developed another world-class sport weapon, has been confirmed.
http://www.pilkguns.com/worldclassap.shtml
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

Ashish9909
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Ashish9909 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:01 am

Thanks a ton Subal... And from where can i get Steyr in India... ? Preferably in Northern region...
Best Regards,

Ashish Arora
+919876252200

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:33 am

Ashish9909 wrote:Thanks a ton Subal... And from where can i get Steyr in India... ? Preferably in Northern region...
if you are member of rifle club or state association, you can buy it from Steyr directly, import it. also you can contact Shimon on indianshooting.com, he may know if somebody want to sale second hand pistol and helped quite few people with pistols and rifles.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

Ashish9909
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Ashish9909 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:26 pm

Subal das wrote:
Ashish9909 wrote:Thanks a ton Subal... And from where can i get Steyr in India... ? Preferably in Northern region...
if you are member of rifle club or state association, you can buy it from Steyr directly, import it. also you can contact Shimon on indianshooting.com, he may know if somebody want to sale second hand pistol and helped quite few people with pistols and rifles.
Yea i mailed at [email protected] but haven't received any response as yet.. I'm not a member of any Rifle Club or state association...
I'm getting second hand Morini 162EI for 85K but i guess it's little on a higher side... what you say ???
Best Regards,

Ashish Arora
+919876252200

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:23 pm

Ashish9909 wrote:
Subal das wrote:
Yea i mailed at [email protected] but haven't received any response as yet.. I'm not a member of any Rifle Club or state association...
I'm getting second hand Morini 162EI for 85K but i guess it's little on a higher side... what you say ???
no idea, here is much better experts on prices then me
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

Ashish9909
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Ashish9909 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:36 pm

Ohk... anyone else who can gimmi the price idea for Morini 162EI and Steyr LP10 (in India)...
Best Regards,

Ashish Arora
+919876252200

kedarsalunke
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by kedarsalunke » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:21 pm

hey,
the price range for morini in India is 90 - 110k depending on when and from whome you buy.
i can also help you to get one.

steyr lp 10 with new trigger will cost nearly 120k as it is in demand.

hope to see you at competitions,
enjoy shooting,

kedar