Teflon in Airguns

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Teflon in Airguns

Post by eljefe » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:20 pm

Thanks Guys for the extensive info on acid free silicon grease
I am a total newbie to the airguns and have a query-what about using teflon containing sprays like BREAK FREE on air gun seals and gaskets etc?
I dont know if I should be asking, what does the forum feel about using PTFE gaskets? any one tried this out? may be wishful thinking, but eljefe has to ask his silly question of the week :oops:
Thanks
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Teflon in Airguns

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:00 pm

Asif,

I have taken the liberty to change air weapons to airguns, for the same reason you don't refer to your scalpel as a weapon.

I have used PTFE piston washers but haven't experimented with teflon sprays. The former works reasonably well.

Mack The Knife

steyrshot
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by steyrshot » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:33 pm

Hmmm ... teflon :shock:

Well ive seen teflon strips used on the threads of older cylinders ... that may have started leaking a bit ... ive even seen how teflon is used to attach the nozzle on a 200 bar 10 -30 ltr refill cylinder, apparently is part of the standard process if your changing out a nozzle anytime.

Cant comment on how effective teflon would be in a air gun though ... logic dictates that it may work as a lubricant... but it still wont condition the rubber.

I mean if we are looking at dry / semi dry lubricants a Moly-G paste would work great once youve got a few layers of the stuff built up on any sliding surface.... only problem it still wont condition the rubber and increase its life, You have to use silicone grease for that. :oops:
With regards,
Steyrshot
And he lifted his pistol as the crowds cheered ... the sights sharpened ... the target blurred ... the finger squeezed ... DAMN !!! forgot to load the silly thing again :oops: ... The crowd now looks the other way ... I wake up from my Nightmare !!! :D

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:30 am

Little bit of semantics here Mack The Knife,
I was not too sure of using the term airguns generically, I thought that there is a distinct separation between air rifles and smooth bore air guns.If this doesent exist, as is proved by your correction, I will go back and using air rifles/air pistols :oops:
Ok, I have moly G and breakfree, but I didnt want to convert my airpistol into a internal combustion engine! :wink: So will wait till Umang helps us out with the silicon grease and leave the breakfree to the metal-to-metal contact.
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:04 pm

Asif,

Airguns is the accepted generic term.

Poland is the only country that I know off that requires some sort of licence for owning an air-rifle/pistol. Smooth bored airguns do not need one.

This information is a bit dated though and they may have changed their regulations now.

Mack The Knife

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:12 pm

Russia seems to regulate air gun ownership too... Seems like some of the other European countries require a permit for high-power airguns too - don't have details though.

Dunno how they classify them... I would imagine its based on muzzle energy, can't think of any other logical way of measuring "high-power".

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:21 pm

Muzzle energy is indeed the measure of high and low power.

U.K. has a M.E. of 12 ft.lbs., above which one is required to get a FAC.

In Germany the limit is still lower - 7.5 Joules and is indicated as such by the alphabet F within a pentagon.

In Canada, on the other hand, it is velocity that dictates the airguns status. Below 500 ft./sec. does not require a licence, irrespective of calibre and pellet weight.

Mack The Knife