Acid Free Silicone Grease

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
steyrshot
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Acid Free Silicone Grease

Post by steyrshot » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:44 pm

Dear Guys
You will be happy to know that i have found a reliable manufacturer of acid free silicone grease in Noida, tested the stuff on the O - rings and seals of my old BRNO TAU - 7 Co2 pistol and it works just great.

For some of you not familiar with the stuff, silicone grease (acid free) is used to condition and lubricate the "O" - rings and rubber parts of air weapons and their adaptors which are subjected to pressure, friction or stress, and thereby prevent the rubber parts from drying out and failing over time.

Acid Free Silicone grease has additional properties in that it is chemically inert and does not react with anything, has a high thermal tolerance level and in addition is a water/moisture repellent and provides a certain level of moisture protection/rust prevention.

Most manufacturers of high end weapons recommend applying the stuff every 700 - 1000 shots, but this can vary a lot.

One thing is certain ... no more importing the stuff from scuba / diving stores (who also use the stuff a lot) on the net ... anyone who needs some please let me know, the guy sells the stuff by the kg (@Rs 350 - 400/-)
and you will at most need about a 100gms a year so maybe a few members can get together and share the cost and the stuff.
With regards,
Steyrshot
And he lifted his pistol as the crowds cheered ... the sights sharpened ... the target blurred ... the finger squeezed ... DAMN !!! forgot to load the silly thing again :oops: ... The crowd now looks the other way ... I wake up from my Nightmare !!! :D

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Acid Free Silicone Grease

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Thanks for the heads-up, Umang.

To think that I used to pay Rs.750 for a tiny tube of FWB's Special Grease. Besides grease, can he also supply acid free silicone oil? I would be interested in a bit of both.

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:25 pm

Umang, please count me in for a 100g
Thanks
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:40 pm

Try to contact an office supply company, as apparently most "copier oil" is pure silicon oil. (I just learned this one myself)

sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sat » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:59 pm

Count me for a 100gms of acid free silicone grease... Apart from the O rings in 'compressed air' or 'pre charged pneumatic' Air rifles & Air pistol.

Is this the grease that should be used in 'The Gehmann Pump' for filling up compressed air cylinder for PCP's.

I recollect being told by one of the shop owners in UK... that it was ok to use a little 'brake oil' in the 'The pump'.

Sat

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:39 pm

I recollect being told by one of the shop owners in UK... that it was ok to use a little 'brake oil' in the 'The pump'.

I am going to go out on a limb here and hazard a guess that I suspect is only partly correct!

Regarding silicone oil, it is specified for compressed gas systems because petroleum oils can spontaneously combust in the presence of compressed gasses, or more specifically compressed oxygen or any compressed gas that contains oxygen.

In regards to "brake oil" I have a hunch- Certain lime.. er... British cars did not use the glycerine based DOT3 brake fluid we have all stained painted fenders with, but used a mineral oil based fluid. (This was due to the rubber seals being natural and not synthetic rubber or something like that). Anyway, I suspect this is the oil the shop was suggesting to use, not regular automotive brake fluid.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:43 pm

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:55 pm

Mark";p="3207 wrote:Try to contact an office supply company, as apparently most "copier oil" is pure silicon oil. (I just learned this one myself)
Good tip there and certainly worth checking out.

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:30 am

Which limey car was that Mark ? News to me anyway.
Dot 3 ? I thought that went out with the ark - been using Dot 4 and 5 for years. :D
For goodness sake don`t try using ordinary brake fluid in an air rifle ! The stuff is a p**s poor lubricant, very hydroscopic and has a low flash point - more car fires are caused by leaking brake fluid than petrol ( By a huge percentage. )

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:42 am

For a moment forget the fires etc. ... Has ANYONE here seen what brake fluid does to car paint??!! :shock:

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:08 am

Yes.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:15 am

Grumpy,

Rolls Royce and Bentley were the only 2 british cars that I worked on that used this fluid. (I worked my way through college as an auto mechanic for the most part). I remember one particularly memorable job where the owner topped off with DOT brake fluid. We had to change literally every rubber component in the braking system. And of course we didn't get new parts, we rebuilt everything and replaced all the seals and stuff.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:47 pm

Thanks for that piece of info Mark - something I wasn`t aware of.....but then, we`ve never had a Rolls Royce or a Bentley ! Something else to store under the heading `Almost useless information` ! Another one that is auto/brake related is that Volvos` used to come with white coated bronze brake lines that never needed replacing.

steyrshot
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by steyrshot » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:49 am

Hi guys
Ok ive procured about a Kg of the stuff (silicone grease) , if you PM me your addresses, ill put it in small containers and send it to you ...

about the silicone oil Mack The Knife ... Stella industries manufacturers supposedly the best "export quality" silicone oil ... sporting goods stores selling treadmills will definately have it ... if you cant find any, i have a few cans of the stuff lying around ill be glad to send you one ... its the least i can do :lol:

NOTE to other air gun users: never use a "mineral oil" base in your gun ... mostly because a) they evaporate quite quickly and do not provide sufficient protection b) some non-synthetic oils have a low tolerance to heat / low flash point as mentioned above and are prone to "dieseling"... also spring powered air guns are far more prone to the dieseling effect than Co2 or CA guns.

Dear Sat - NO !!! you cant use the stuff to lubicate the pump, lubricating the internal part with grease will clog the 2 way valves, there is a different oil for that (read your manufacturers manual to see which oil base to use - they are classified differently), with hill pumps Webleys Lubeoil works fine, others manufacturers recommend something else alltogether (dont think you can use brake oil - trust me half the dealers ive met selling this expensive equipment - dont know jack about what is what, ive had a authorised steyr dealer in Thailand send me a can of silicone sealant !!! thats the stuff used to plug drain pipe leaks and stuff and it sets fast and hard - imagine applying it on your gun - used the stuff to fill in the gaps around my new air conditioner haha :D ).- but you can use silicone grease to condition the external mating seals and rubber rings.
With regards,
Steyrshot
And he lifted his pistol as the crowds cheered ... the sights sharpened ... the target blurred ... the finger squeezed ... DAMN !!! forgot to load the silly thing again :oops: ... The crowd now looks the other way ... I wake up from my Nightmare !!! :D

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:34 am

Ok ive procured about a Kg of the stuff (silicone grease) , if you PM me your addresses, ill put it in small containers and send it to you...
Umang, bung my dibi along with Asif's and send it to him. He will be in Bangalore on the 28th.
about the silicone oil Mack The Knife ... Stella industries manufacturers supposedly the best "export quality" silicone oil ... sporting goods stores selling treadmills will definately have it ... if you cant find any, i have a few cans of the stuff lying around ill be glad to send you one...

Same as above please. 50 ml of the stuff should do.
its the least i can do :lol:
You're right. I still expect to have those kababs. :mrgreen:

A word of warning: Do not use silicone oil where there is metal to metal contact/friction - it will scour the surface.

Thanks, Umang, much appreciated.

Mack The Knife