Acid Free Silicone Grease

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
mehulkamdar

Re: Acid Free Silicone Grease

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:34 am

Gentlemen,

Silicone oil and grease have been available in India for a long time. About fifteen years ago, my father's business started the first commercial vacuum coating unit to offer anti reflection coatings on spectacle lenses in South India and we used to buy silicone oil/grease for it from the Tide Water Oil co. There is also a dealer in vacuum products in Bangalore called Narasaiah who sells the stuff. It is not at all a rare or difficult to acquire commodity.

Mehul

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:02 pm

Mehul,

:wink: :wink:

Take care,
penpusher

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:26 pm

For silicone grease/oil try these links

http://www.indiamart.com/reliancechemicals/index.html

http://www.mrsilicone.net/product.htm

http://www.indianindustry.com/detergents/10105.html

Take care,
penpusher

PS-Never knew that ordinary grease had acid in it.What would be its Ph value?

steyrshot
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by steyrshot » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:47 pm

Dear penpusher
Even i had absolutely no idea that an acid based verion of the grease existed, i first read about it in my user manual ... then called up 2 - 3 people and they had heard the same thing.

This is when i popped off a mail to steyr and feinwerkbau - same reply only "acid free" silicone grease ... to be honest i havnt yet seen the acid based one - but when i do, ill make sure i dont put my hand in it :D

Mehul, your right the grease is readily available if your buying in bulk, before hunting the markets .. trust me i hunted down all those internet links and placed calls ... but most of these people deal in industrial orders, and thus were very uninterested in an a "shooting nut" wanting to buy a kg.... infact it took me and my "Chaukidaar" the better part of a week tracking this suppliers factory down after finding him on the net ... 'cause his dealership only supplies 10 - 50 kg drums.

Infact other than plumbers, a lot of people in the electrical goods industry use it .. especially in TV's .. only problem normal supply is .. 10 kg jars :(

reason i mentioned the guy in Noida is because he is manufacturing the stuff for a UK company and is by and large producing the stuff to a slighty stricter standard .. other than that .. he doesnt mind packing some for you in whatever quantity you want, if you tell him in advance.

Mehul ive spoken to lodhi sports and they are sending over some of that oil, will bung it into the goodies box for you. Thanks for that tip on metal surfaces and the oil ... just a question if some of that grease gets onto the metal surfaces of moving parts, can it too scour ... i mention this cause its supposed to be inert ... thanks do let me know :)
Last edited by steyrshot on Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
With regards,
Steyrshot
And he lifted his pistol as the crowds cheered ... the sights sharpened ... the target blurred ... the finger squeezed ... DAMN !!! forgot to load the silly thing again :oops: ... The crowd now looks the other way ... I wake up from my Nightmare !!! :D

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:14 pm

just a question if some of that grease gets onto the metal surfaces of moving parts, can it too scour ... i mention this cause its supposed to be intert ... thanks do let me know
Not if you wipe it off before any scouring occurs. Also depends on the tolerances between the metal parts. Tighter they are, more the friction.

You could use ordinary surgical spirit to degrease it. However, the surgical spirit that is available at the chemist (Shiva Pharma Industries) tends to leave behind some water deposit which could cause rusting. Wipe it with a clean dry tissue and then apply the appropriate lube. I usually use a thin film of moly oil or grease depending on where it is being applied. Scouring has nothing to do with it being inert....at least as far as I know.

Mack The Knife (not Mehul) :wink:

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:39 pm

Gentlemen,

I found the name of the company. Hind Hi Vac India Ltd. They are at the Peenya Industrial Estate and the Chairman used to be a Mr Narasaiah. If I remember they sold silicone oil in packs of 1 Kg, 3 Kg and 5 Kg for the smaller (12" and smaller steel chamber) vacuum coating units.

If any of you talks to Mr Narasaiah, please tell him Hi from Mehul Kamdar, former Director in Lenskote Industries Ltd. I am sure he'll remember me as he stayed as a guest at my father's guest house when he set the machine up.

Cheers,

Mehul