What air-rifles and air-pistols do you have or have had?

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:21 pm

Gud performance dude!!!!
Crete";p="9387 wrote:
TC";p="9373 wrote:Nicos, I also use a similar slip-on grip by Uncle Mike's on my .22 Hi-Standard.

Cheers

TC
Thanks, TC.

It is accurate, too. The target below is a timed 20-seconds string, offhand @ 25m. Twenty shots.

Score: 180ex200 with run-of-the-mill ammo; not Tenex!

Cheers,
Nikos
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

For Advertising mail webmaster
Crete
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: What air-rifles and air-pistols do you have or have had?

Post by Crete » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:34 pm

Thanks badshah0522.

The earlier pictured target was scored during shooting practice at the Club.

In similar Standard Pistol (Bullseye) shooting practice, timed just like the real Match, I've scored -- so far -- 515/600. That's tops for the P22 in my hand.

I have also shot w/it in proper Matches (just for the sake of it) and I managed a 502/600 (Third Place, Bronze!), again with Sellier & Belliot Standard Velocity. I reserve the Eley Tenex for the Hammerli 280.

Ta-Dah,
Nikos

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:55 pm

Rahul,

Check the Arms Law section. You should find the relevant document there.
Mack The Knife what is a DIY drop in kit???
A do it yourself kit comprising of main-spring, piston washer, breech seal, pre-load washers (possibly), moly oil and moly grease.

I hope you get it out without a hitch and do start a seperate topic and let us know how it went.

Here's to many happy hours spent plinking.

Mack The Knife

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:59 am

Nicos thats pretty good shooting for a standard .22 pistol.

Congratulations on your result.

TC

Crete
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Crete » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:23 am

Thank you TC,

It's all down to learning my Walther LP53 air pistol, pictured.

Unlike other models, the recoil cycle of the LP53 simulates the .22 cal. rimfire's "jump" as closely as possible. Attempting to hit the X ring with it @ 10m taught me trigger control, as this particular air pistol is unforgiving in that aspect. The slightest "jerk" of the trigger will throw the pellet to a different ZIP Code area!

Once you learn to put the front sight (foresight) somewhere where you want the pellet to strike and then proceed to squeeze -- progressively -- the trigger (without a pause and without backtracking) and continuously until the sear breaks, then accuracy is achieved.

Remember, there are no accurate air pistols per se; just accurate air pistol shooters.

Cheers,
Nikos

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:54 am

Nicos you have quite an impressive collection. How does the Walther simulate the recoil of a .22 ? Could you tell me more. Does the slide cylce on every shot like the Gamos ?

Couldnt agree with you more on the accuracy point.

Cheers

TC

Crete
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Crete » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:56 pm

TC,

Thank you.

In fact I only have three air pistols (MAS-50, LP 53 and HW 45), but I also shoot the FWB 65, Diana 5, FAS, Steyr LP10, Walther LP1 and some others at the Club.

The Walther LP Model 53 uses a double spring (one inside the other), which is housed in the grip (see the LP 53 schematic, below).

When the sear breaks, the piston is pushed upwards, towards the thumb -- or top of the shooting hand. There, it reaches the limit of its travel and stops ubruptly. The spring/piston surge causes the shooting hand to feel an upward and slightly rearward recoil, which in natural fact is quite similar to the sensation I get when I shoot a .22 LR pistol.

The rearward feeling comes from the weight distribution. As the pistol is grip-heavy, the spring activity in the grip during firing with the sudden upward surge, it tends to back-up a bit (there is no moving slide), so at the end of the cycle and after a lot of shooting practice, the LP 53 can substitute a .22 rimfire Standard Pistol, perfectly.

Besides, an optional barrel weight can be attached on the LP 53, in order to counteract the above described cycle, just as is the case with many rimfire pistols.

I shoot mine with and without the weight, depending on the mood of the moment. Each configuration, of course, requires a different sighting-in, so a bbl weight cannot be added at a whim.

Kind regards,
Nikos
Last edited by Crete on Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:58 pm

Nikos

keep em posting great air pistols..even I am tempted to buy now

Rgds

Crete
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Crete » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:13 pm

ngrewal,

Yes, indeed.

The LP 53 could be the best looking air pistol ever made.

It has a lot going for it.

What it lacks in power it compensates in accuracy, in the hands of an experienced shooter.

I have stretched its use to the limit, by shooting a sick pigeon crouched in a narrow loft where no air rifle could be used. It dropped like a stone with a single headshot.

I have also shot the LP 53 @ 50m (55 yards).

The target was a Coke can filled with water. Out of 10 shots I can hit it with five.

Of course, the HW 45 is easier to shoot accurately, as I can hit the same target at the same distance w/8 out of 10 shots.

As you have guessed I am still training for a 10/10 result at that extreme distance (on calm days only).

Ta-Dah,
Nikos

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:15 am

Nicos, I AM IMPRESSED !!!!!!!!!!!!

It seems I have to do some serious thinking about my collection of air weapons. I dont know where I can get hold of a Walther LP 53 in India. But I just have to get one. Is is still in production ? Whats the price abroad ? And how do you cock it and feed the pellet ?

Thanks again
Cheers

TC

Crete
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Crete » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:04 pm

Thanks, TC.

The Walther LP Model 53 is no longer in production but it is widely available. I paid 150 Euros for mine, recently, second hand.

In order to cock it, you simply break the barrel and push it down until the sear engages. Then, like all break barrel air pistols (and rifles), you simply insert a pellet directly to the bore. An antibear trap prevents it from firing while the barrel is open. It can only be fired when the barrel is closed, just like the MAS 50 and HW 45 (Beeman P1). It's safe, so that it doesn't need an extra safety (only the HW 45 has a safety).

On rear occasions, the LP 53 may be found with some accessories, like a wooden knob that is inserted in the muzzle (the front tip of which is not rifled, just hollow), in part that helps cock the pistol without injuring the fingers by the sharpish front sight (foresight), picture below.

Also, a barrel weight of some 300 grams can be found with it, so as to make it muzzle-heavy. A cleaning rod and front sight inserts were also included in mine, which I got with all these implements.

Best regards,
Nikos

Crete
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Crete » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:46 pm

TC,

Look at the picture below, I found it here: http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=1195270

Good luck!
Nikos

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:49 am

Nicos, thanks a lot. That was real helpful. Now I remember the weapon. About eight years ago a guy was using it at a state-level competition. His had a walnut grip. Maybe he got it made.

150 Euros is quite a deal.

Will look for the walther here.

TC

Crete
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Crete » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:52 pm

Glad to help, TC.

I have seen nice target-type grips made for it, also. I use the factory grips, but have added three rubber O-rings on the trigger blade for enhanced trigger feel.

Cheers,
Nikos

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:58 pm

Thats pretty cool Nicos. Nice touch.

TC