Which airgun should I buy?

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
hotshot
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Which airgun should I buy?

Post by hotshot » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:13 pm

I have seen on the Theoben site that they have both 12ft/lbs and FAC version Air rifles. Also i think we can refill the cylinder with a basic hand pump like the one used for cycle tyres. It is a little bit of an exercise but we all could do with some physical work to get us in shape. So what do you guys think ?? :wink:

For Advertising mail webmaster
Shamsher
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Shamsher » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:19 pm

Pumpman - I would much rather buy a bycycle & send it over to your place to be refilled than pump a gun each day.

"Wierd" - to hear someone pumping a gun for excercise.

Go get the springer boy - believe me you will not regret it

Since you are located in the UK, might as well tell you, all prices even for brand new guns are negotiable. & you could do better with the current trend.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hotshot
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by hotshot » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:40 pm

I am not located in UK, I wish i was as then i would have had a huge collection of Springers and PCPs. No i am located in India. I will be just going to London for a short visit, actually my sole purpose is to pick up a air rifle.
Its really not so bad to use the pump. I mean you can then get like what around 50 - 100 shots from i filling , of course depending on the air gun model etc.

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:06 pm

The number of shots is proportional to the cylinder capacity, and depends on the model of the gun. Matter of fact, you could have a

couple of spare cylinders filled up and ready to go.
From what I see, you have a great inclination to PCPs, and I should not forget to mention that the very low recoil of a PCP gives you

great accuracy.

So.. dont wait, just go in for a PCP.. It it makes you happy, it makes me (and Shamsher) happy too :)

But if either Samsher of I see you with a Springer, it will be duly confiscated ;)

Here is a list of good PCPs (may not be complete). Take everyone's opinion and rate what you like best ...

Air Arms S200

Air Arms S200T

Air Arms S410 ERB-Beech

Air Arms S410 ERB Walnut

Air Arms S410ERB-Walnut TH

Air Arms S400 ERB-Beech

Air Arms S400 ERB-Walnut

Air Arms S400 ERB-Walnut-TH

Air Arms S410CRB Carbine

Air Arms S410 TDR

Air Force Talon SS

Air Force Condor

Benjamin Discovery

Eun Jin Sumatra 2500-500cc

Falcon-C (Carbine) Rifle

Falcon-R Rifle

Logun Sweet 16

Theoben Rapid 12 Mk2

Theoben Rapid MkII XP R/H

Theoben Rapid MFR

Theoben MFR XP

Rapid S- Type

Rapid E-Type Deluxe

Walther 1250 Dominator

Walther 1250 Dominator FT

Webley Raider - Beech

Webley Raider - Walnut

Weihrauch HW100T (Thumbhole)

Weihrauch HW100S (Sporter)

I personally like the Weihrauch HW100 series and/or Air Arms S410
Last edited by TenX on Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

Shamsher
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Shamsher » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:25 pm

TenX
U forgot the "H' again,
how do you think I could / we could grab the pumpmans springer without the "H'

U good at running hotshot?

LOL
SS

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:28 pm

Shamsher";p="56115 wrote: ...U forgot the "H' again...
OOPS :oops:

Shamsher";p="56115 wrote: how do you think I could / we could grab the pumpmans springer without the "H'...
While he is busy and pooped filling up his PCP cylinders :lol:
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:23 am

Hotshot,

My choice of pcp would be the HW100. They are available in standard and carbine lengths and have two stock options - thumbhole or sporter. I would also consider buying a good second-hand one and save money in the bargain.

Sub-12 ft.lbs. is more than sufficient for pest-control provided you place the pellet in the right area and do not shoot from silly distances.

The pumps used to fill pcps are three stage high pressure pumps and will cost you in the region of GBP 100.00 You cannot use a bicycle pump.

You will not be able to alter the velocity on a new pcp bought in the U.K. as they now come fitted with an anti-tamper mechanism and neither am I going to explain how this can be circumvented...even in private.

I repeat, sub-12 ft.lbs. is MORE than sufficient.

Mack The Knife

tirths
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirths » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:25 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="56152 wrote:
My choice of pcp would be the HW100.
To some reason you are more towards HW, Mack The Knife. (There are couple of others which are good or better though) Curious to know why?

-Tirtha

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Pros: Well made, extremely relibable, does not double load, on the latter models the cylinder can be filled via a quick fill adaptor or it can be taken off. The latter being the more pre-dominant practice with the ISSF crowd in India. Last but not least, it does not cost as much as the more expensive Daystates and Theobens, which is what I suppose you were considering as being much better.

Cons: Some people find the steel cylinder to be heavy and the stocks aren't exactly pretty. The Mk.1 had a next to useless sound moderator but Weihrauch soon rectified that by producing a simple sound modeerator that is an industry standard now. Weihrauch have raised the price on this rifle.

Goldfinger
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Goldfinger » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:11 pm

Mack The Knife,
Light weight Venom cylinders are available for the HW100 with built-in nozzles. These reduce the weight by an ounce or so thereby improving balance. But, all for an added cost. The AA S410 has no problems reported what-so-ever. and a prettier sight in all variants. The cost advantage of the HW being annulled by the Venom cylinder, the choice would be purely on loyalties I guess.
All the best
Goldfinger

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:16 pm

I am well aware of the Venom cylinder. The weight reduction is to the tune of 10 or 11 ounces, not one ounce. They were introduced not just to lower the weight but to provide a way of filling the cylinder with a quick-fill rather than removing the cylinder from the rifle.

There is nothing wrong with the AA S400 / S410 series rifles. I like them a lot but having had to repair one staight out of the box, it does not exactly fill me with confidence.

Suffice to say, there is no brand loyalty at play here.

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:12 pm

In a layman's point of view, the AA S410 is a little more powerful, highest velocity and slightly weighs lesser than the HW100.
If someone wants to go by these numeric standards alone, the AA is appreciated more, also because of its better stock-work.
But in general, the long-term performance of a work-horse like status is something that HW series has earned.... :)
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

hotshot
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by hotshot » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:27 am

i would like to ask again that if required can i not get a FAC PCP Air rifle as these do not have the 12 ft/pound restricton ?

also if i want to go in for a second hand PCP air rifle how does one go about purchasing it ? Ok from the other posts i have found out that we can get some good deals on AIRGUNSBBBS but where do i get this delivered as they can only send it to a registered dealer in the UK. How does it work with the dealer , does he get a commission ? etc...

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:28 am

the aa s400/410 are definitely a prettier series to behold , more so with the rosewood caps, and much lighter than the hw100. however handling the weirauch feels more solid, exuding quality. personally prefer the side lever of the hw100 to the bolt of the air arms.(which the latter have tried to copy? in the new 510). having said that, they are heavy to carry and shoot, though i found the sporters lighter than the thumbhole variants. in the u.k., they are a hassle to repair, needing to go back to hull cartridge. while AA has a bit of a reputation as a maruti 800, repairable at any garage.

pricewise, if you add the free spare mags and silencer that is standard with the hw100, i think they cost about the same.

was fence sitting on this for a while now till i gave up............. and bought yet another springer :wink:
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:32 am

hotshot";p="56210 wrote: i would like to ask again that if required can i not get a FAC PCP Air rifle as these do not have the 12 ft/pound restricton ?
do you fancy a trip to the old bailey.......

let's try again

:idea: do the words FAC ring a bell?
Last edited by hamiclar01 on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."